Search Unity

question about occlusion culling for iPhone..

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by TouchSoft, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

(I posted this in the wrong forum... so reposting it here)

I noticed that Unity will allow occlusion culling for iPhone. What does that mean exactly for us iPhone developers?

I did a quick search on google and saw that occlusion culling is when geometry behind an opaque object is not rendered..

So does that mean the current stats for tris and verts that I'm seeing when I test my game in unity, won't be as high on the iPhone? For example... when I enter a house in my game and the terrain is hidden behind a wall... currently it seems the tris are still being counted from the terrain.

Will this not happen once I publish on iPhone?? If so, then this is GREAT news. Also will the stats pane in the game preview pick up on the occlusion culling??

2. Ricko

Ricko

There was an excellent demo today at Unite of how the occlusion culling feature works and what it means for performance and reducing draw calls. It was a bonus at the end of the “Make Your Art Look Good” session that you can review when Unity puts the videos online. I’m sure someone can give you a more descriptive answer in the meantime.

Ricko

3. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Thanks! sounds like this will be the feature that will win most developers over.