Search Unity

Charlie Samways: Free Fonts For Commercial Use

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CharlieSamways, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Remove

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    hippocoder likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

Pretty cool font you made! :) It has a cartoony touch, could this be?

3. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks :) Supposed to be quite playful, Almost facebook inspired?

4. karl_

karl_

Very cool, Charlie! I definitely see the Facebook influence in there.

5. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Couple of recommendations.

Worth disclosing the name of the base font you used and whether it requires a commercial license, so a potential user can establish if it is too close and presents a potential copyright issue. And for these to be of commercial use, as a minimum they should include Western European Latin extended characters to support localisation.

6. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Actually as a base font I didn't really use anything imparticular, Its main base would be the facebook logo i guess which i created the 'FlexiBendi' logo from, from there all the other letters where created from the flexibendi logo. There was one other typeface that I used as reference for the letter 'F' but its name has passed me. Ill make sure to disclose any fonts I use as direct reference in the future.

As for the 'Western European Latin extended characters to support localisation.' ill have to look that up as I honestly have no idea what that means.

Thanks for the information :)

edit:

Researched a little and found this, if this is the kind of things you mean I should include, shouldn't that be my judgement on whether I wish to include them? If it is A compulsory thing then im a bit baffled. Some links of information on the matter would be helpful thanks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    hippocoder likes this.
  7. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Of course it's your choice, but as it stands your font would only be usable in English speaking markets such as USA, West Canada, UK, Australia, NZ. Any game using it wouldn't be able to localise into a European language. Then there are Cyrillic characters for places like Russia and Eastern Europe. Then there's Arabic. And much larger sets for Japanese, Chinese and Korean which font foundries often omit in Western fonts.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  8. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Okay thanks, ill consider that when i start producing fonts that I may feel like I could gain some profit from.

9. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Thanks for the font... It's cool that your giving them away because there aren't a lot. I'll definitely give you a credit and don't listen to the guy asking for more free stuff. It's enough you've already done.... If your looking for recommendations for styles I suggest a war styled font. I don't mean to sound like I'm asking though.

10. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Awesome font - great work!

11. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Who is asking for "more free stuff"?

12. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

You ??? I understand your concern but if what he's giving for free isn't enough, you don't need to bug him for more. Just make it yourself.

13. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

You've incorrectly assumed in your statement I'm looking for free assets, that I was specifically interested in this one, and that I was implicitly suggesting Charlie add more glyphs. If you re-read what was actually written, you'll see it was advice which it looks will go towards helping Charlie expand his knowledge of typography and how it is used in commercial projects.

Charlie, apologies to detract from your thread, keep up the good work.

14. DavidB

DavidB

Check GamesFoundry's posts on the forums.... I doubt he was digging for free stuff, but rather offering advice to make Charlie's fonts more widely applicable should he be looking to make many more.

As for the font itself, great work on the revision Charlie, the font looks awesome!

15. hjupter

hjupter

The font looks great, but no numbers? :(

Also agree with gamefoundry I always use localization.

16. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Alright, as I said I will be adding the numbers and other stuff if I can get to my goal of 200$. because I need to buy some software so I can stop bugging my friend. If I get a lot of interest ill start doing localisation and other, but as im doing these for free I think what im giving is enough for people to get started and see what happens from there. already had someone contact me with them wanting an exclusive typeface which is interesting.

Thanks for all information tho GamesFoundry, ill defiantly be doing that in the future, when i get more confident with doing them.

17. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

New font for download sometime tomorrow :)

18. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

feel free to post fonts you guys like if you want me to create something based on a style.

19. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

These are cool! The one thing that jumps out at me and bugs me though is that the W is just the M upside down. It's especially noticeable on the first font, since I've never seen a lowercase w written with two rounded humps and a tail. In the second one you can still tell it's weird because of that rounded m edge on the w, but it's not as glaring.

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

ill take that into account in future :) it looks consistent in my opinion

21. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Font now on DaFont :)

22. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Looking for critism on this WIP. Its early and I have developer eyes set on. Will be doing uppercase for this and maybe some localisation. really hoping i get some donations in soon, ive ran out of coke!

-Charlie

23. khanstruct

khanstruct

Hey Charlie, nice work. I've always wanted to create my own fonts, but afraid I don't have the patience.

I have a question about the licensing here. Currently, copyright law protects the font file (ttf), but not typeface (the resulting display of the font. This means that, in general, people can use any font all they want to display text in an end project. What they can't do, however, is sell the actual ttf file without permission.

So basically, what I'm asking is, when you say "free for commercial use", are you granting people the right to resell these ttf files in packages? The reason I ask is that I've been creating a lot of GUI skins for the Asset Store, but I can never include font files due to copyright. The best I can do it include a text file, directing people to recommended font download pages.

24. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Hello Khan, I myself am quite loosely knowledgeable on the different licenses. What I originally meant by this is what you can use the font in your products all you like, but you can not resell the .ttf for your own profit, as that would just be terrorizing on my part. Although, now that you have mentioned it. If you wish to use it and distribute it on your asset pack, then please just make a donation of any amount and you can do so, I want to try make these fonts very open to the community but at the same time i am hoping to get some peanuts in return through general good will.

Hope you understand
    -Charlie

25. khanstruct

khanstruct

Absolutely. I'm making new GUIs all the time. Hopefully one of your fonts will fit in with one of the themes and we can work something out. Good luck, and keep at it.

26. yo_dude87

yo_dude87

awesome work, really nice fonts :D

27. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Fantastic as always Charlie, I hope I find a use for these fonts! :p I have something in mind. I'll let you know.

Cheers
    Khelton

28. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi Charlie - this has to be the best font for fantasy titles ever: http://www.dafont.com/ringbearer.font

But, it doesn't allow commercial use. If you could make a font similar to this, I'm sure it would be very useful to myself and others. Also, I've just donated some Soda money as a bribe. :)

29. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks very much Jaimi :) realy appreacite it. tommorow ill have a go at it, see how i do. if it goes well ill do it and post :)

30. Democre

Democre

Charlie , congrats on the 200+ downloads. Even though you say free, if everyone who downloaded thought them to be at least a dollar worth and donated, you'd have your license covered.

Gratz, I have no doubt you'll make it. Keep up the awesome work.

31. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks :) Would be great if everyone did donate haha, hit 400 downloads today :)

32. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

33. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Bump

Thank you to everyone who has pledged and/or downloaded the font :) must say for 4 days I did not expect to reach ethos much money and downloads. Over 2k collective in downloads :) hopefully that number keeps going.

-charlie

34. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

New font preview!

35. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

New font preview, should both be out tommorow/saturday.

36. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

37. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

New font preview out, Will be available in Regular, Bold, Italic and Bold Italic.

Sorry its taking so long to get the previous fonts out, I really need to get this license soon heh.

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seriously really awesome fonts.

39. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks papa, Hit my 200$ goal! thanks to everyone who has donated :) I really appreciate the support. Will be adding localisation to new fonts, Punctuation and numbers. I will also add them to the old ones over time.

Please feel free to donate still if you wish, All donations will be going towards other software licenses. Next in line is my iOS license. Will not be splurging on anything unnecessary out of what I have been given from you guys :)

Also I am really hoping you guys post some requests, If you want a request to be done sooner then once again, just post a donation as a little kick to do it :)

Kind regards
    -Charlie

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi Charlie - don't forget my request above. ;)

Jaimi

41. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Ill get on it :)

42. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Sneak peak of the progress, Just finished the base serif, took hours, they're a lot harder than sans-serifs:

Will be uploading the base of it as a separate font :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  43. Jaimi

Jaimi

Ooh, Excellent! Can't wait to see the lower case!

I feel another donation coming on! :)

44. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Haha thanks man, Good motivation for the lowercase ;) Hopefully Ill get this finished at a good quality for you.

Included in this font:

Uppercase w/ localisation
    Lowercase w/ localisation
    Symbols
    Numbers

-Charlie

45. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

WIP

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  46. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Lowercase done:

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

looking good, Charlie!

48. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

looks great !! , missing the C ( hundreds ) and M ( thousands ) for the roman numbers if my memory is still ok ( i hope so ) ...
    EDIT : maybe it s ok ... but i guess i m dumb : you already have them in the alphabet ... lol

49. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks guys,

New font preview up.

All of the fonts that are awaiting download links will be available on sunday/monday.

Taking requests from doners :)

-Charlie

50. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Woah crazy, 200 to 9.6k downloads in 1 week. Only if this was my iOS app ey ;D

Once I hit 10,000 downloads I will be putting up the other font download links which should be tommorow or sunday.
    Thanks again everyone, I bought the High-Logic Font creator and its awesome. New milestone of 100$ for my apple developer cert

Taking font requests still.
    Thanks
    -Charlie