Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MarbleJump - 2.5D Platformer WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by xKroniK13x, Jun 28, 2012.

1. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Hey guys, this is a work in progress for me that I hope to make a decent game out of. I'd love to see the current opinion of it, and would like constructive criticism on how I can make it better. I only have the one level right now, just using it to get the physics right and the base functions.

The menus and such aren't prettied up yet, I just quickly coded them to serve their purposes. They will soon be updated.

Anyway, the controls are:
    W,A,S,D / Arrows move. Up or spacebar jumps. Down does brake. Shift boosts. Escape pauses.

Feel free to comment on what you think. Remember, this is my first game, so it isn't amazing.

CHANGES:
    -Main menu cleaned up / added name field
    -Leaderboards now level specific, never coded that for some reason
    -Remade the finish screen
    -Cleaned up some sloppy coding / enhanced speed

http://coreymccown.com/Unity/BallGame/1/WebPlayer.html

Please report any bugs!
    Known Issue: Sometimes your current time will not be added when the leaderboards load, however, it is still submitted and will appear next play through.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Bump. Just fixed a lot of things, would love some input...

3. LeakySink

LeakySink

Well, it's really short.

Controls worked okay, the camera is zoomed too close in to begin with. Much of the functionality (time trials etc) seemed to work ok. This shows promise if you really go to town on levels, complexity and mechanics.

4. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Yes, it's only got one level for now but that's just so I can get the bulk of coding done. Once it's all done, levels are easy to crank out. I'll zoom the camera out some, but you can also control it with the scroll wheel. Thanks for the input, this is what I'm looking for!

5. LeHaine_

LeHaine_

I can't even get pass the main menu. I type in my name and press play and nothing happens?

6. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

It's working fine for me and a couple friends I have trying it out... anyone else having this issue?

7. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Added level 2.
    Anyone else having trouble playing?

And some screenshots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  8. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Up to 5 levels.
    Added a level select button at the beginning, too.

9. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Added some more levels. Now coding a level creator, which is coming along pretty decent.
    Currently escape brings up the menu, then your mouse controls the object. Scroll wheel rotates, clicking places.
    Still need to code camera movements, which should be simple, and also spawn starts and finish line. Then I need to make it save to my server, which I'm not sure yet how to pull off.
    You can't really see in the video, it's too dark, but when you click which object you want, a semi-transparent model comes up of it so you know where it's at and the rotation.

10. Duskling

Duskling

Can't play it, keeps telling me to change my name and I have.

11. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

It should work. I just tried it . When you enter the new name, you have to hit play again. Enter doesn't work yet.

12. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Level creator beta public now!
    http://coreymccown.com/Unity/BallGame/2/WebPlayer.html

Controls:
    ASDW / Arrows: Move Camera
    Q / E: Scale Object
    Shift + Arrows: Move Camera Faster
    Click: Place object / Select / Move Object
    Right Click: Remove object
    Tab: Stop placing object
    Scroll wheel: Rotate Object
    Right Click + Scroll Wheel: Precise Rotation
    Shift + Scroll Wheel: Zoom in

Seems to work pretty smoothly, report any problems!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  13. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Bump... would really like some input on this, a lot of hard work has gone into both the game and editor...

14. Mold

Mold

That site doesn't let me play the game
    It won't detect that I have the webplayer thing

15. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Works fine on all my computers...

16. Mold

Mold

Fack that stupid internet explorer...
    Works fine with firefox

I do like that game
    How did you create it

17. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

No worries.
    Simple rigid objects, actually. For the level editor, I made a "alpha object" and made that the one you can scale and move and stuff, and then when you click it instantiates a prefabbed object and scales it to match the alpha object. A lot of ray casting and such to get mouse position, but relatively easy. I plan to add lighting and a few interactive objects, as well as an editable deathzone. And you'll be able to share your levels.

Did you play through the levels of the link above? I hope they are fun, I have about 5 more made not released yet. I was going to add the editor when i get it done and also the levels and reupload it, and then clean up all the gui...

18. Mold

Mold

I liked the levels but it took quite long to figure out i have to press space multiple times or hump against a wall

I think it would look much better if the platforms were a bit thicker

Tip: add 'Quit to main menu' button

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  19. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

I can thicken up the platforms some. I agree, that could make it nicer. I also plan on making more themes other than the current textures. Ice is an option eventually as well.

I will add that to the pause menu, that's smart.

20. Mold

Mold

How does one create a ball that you can control with arrow keys/wasd D:

I don't know how or where to ask

21. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Create a sphere and add rigidbody, and then rigidbody.AddForce(x,y,z); You could ask in the answers section of this site or in the scripting.

I'm looking for a good name for my game, open to any ideas...

22. Mold

Mold

Ball'o'rama

Marble Climb

RunBall

23. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

I like MarbleRun, but it's taken... BallRunner is taken too. >_<

24. Mold

Mold

I tried 2 times but when I clicked 'Ask Question' it wasn't in the 'Unanswered' list and my profile said '0 Questions'.
    Wtf

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  25. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Moderators have to approve the question before it's posted. Takes about 15-30 minutes.

26. Mold

Mold

Oh

How am I supposed to know
    It doesn't say anywhere

27. Mold

Mold

Did this project just die?
    Keep working and updating D:

28. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

It won't let me get past the main menu, I've changed the name. When I click "Play!" It does not do anything, nor when I go to level select and click on a level their.

29. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

That's a bug occasionally, fixed in the beta I am soon uploading. Sorry :[

30. impheris

impheris

a cant play, i put my name, and click play and......... nothing....

31. impheris

impheris

a cant play, i put my name, and click play and......... nothing....

32. Mold

Mold

To fix the name problem:
    Right when starting the game, click 'PLAY'
    Then
    Enter a name
    Then
    Click 'PLAY' again

33. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

34. LeHaine_

LeHaine_

Just tried it out. Menu looks a lot more cleaner to me now. Also I can pause the game on the first level and the pause menu appears. On the 2nd and 3rd level the pause menu did not appear for me, but the game did pause.

Only tried the level creator for about 2 minutes, but it is looking good.

35. Mold

Mold

Update!
    Finally!

36. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Menu Looks great but same problem, I have entered my name and it won't let me play.

37. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Thanks! I'll take a look at the pause issue, it should be working! It's using the same prefab. Odd!

I just took out the checking, I must not be good at making a check code like that! Sorry! I'll have to experiment with some other options.

38. Mold

Mold

Didn't yo usay you wanna make the platforms thicker?
    It still looks odd D:

39. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

It's all in time. It's the least of my worries right now because there's still some scripting that needs done and the level editor needs a lot of work.

40. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Up to 515 scores submitted!
    An update to the editor is coming soon. This will include lights and death zones.
    Next will be Saving and loading, and then uploading and sharing.
    Then I will clean everything up more and enhance some of the code (some is pretty messy, will redo a lot probably) and release the final version, hopefully to Kongregate!

41. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Recoding the level editor, running into more errors than this script is worth. Redo time! It will be smoother and faster than before.

42. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Long time, no update. Went on a 3 week trip and barely got anything done, but now I'm getting somewhere!

Completely re-scripted editor, same feel though.

New features:
    *After adding an object to the level, you can click it to move it, or right click to delete it.
    *More objects (light and death zones)
    *Optimized coding to run more smoothly
    *Bigger level editor zone
    *Added keyboard support for all controls, makes the editor functional for all laptops and computers (before it relied on a mouse)
    *Made it easier to add future objects

Still to come:
    *Save / Load / Upload Levels
    *Change textures of objects
    *Advanced / Moving Objects
    *Object snapping
    *Camera rotation for easier placement
    *All objects semi-transparent while placing

Video:

Play:
    http://www.coreymccown.com/Unity/BallGame/1/WebPlayer.html
    Click Level Editor

Please report any bugs!

43. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Implemented an upload script, working on download and rating for the editor. This isn't available online, just posting an update. I would love some input!

44. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

I thought I would finally update this, I was discouraged due to no input from the community, but I decided that I need to finish this for myself, even if no one else does like it or play it.

I've actually got a few friends to help me with testing the editor beta. These are the release logs.

VERSION 0.1.3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FIXES:
    -Upload/download script fixes:
    ---Doubled upload size, now 4GB max
    ---Fixed upload problem, causing errors with downloading and possible crashing
    -Menus now close automatically after up/downloading

KNOWN BUGS:
    -Can upload without having spawn point or finish line
    -No author names work on the download page, this is because there aren't any usernames made yet!
    -Sometimes levels appear invisible. This is because they are off screen, they are still playable.
    -Finish Line trigger does not disappear when playing.

VERSION 0.1.2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FIXES:
    -New upload/download script implemented
    ---Enhanced download times
    ---More secure upload (slightly slower, but that's due to how it is uploaded)
    ---2GB level size now allowed (2GB of pure text on the server, so that is a GIANT level)
    -Finish Line now has a correctly scaled trigger zone
    -Finish Line now has a black trigger zone instead of red
    -Finish Line now see through while placing
    -Death Zone now see through while placing
    -Spawn Point now see through while placing
    -Lights are now see through while placing

KNOWN BUGS:
    -Menus don't close automatically
    -Can upload without having spawn point or finish line
    -No author names work on the download page, this is because there aren't any usernames made yet!
    -Sometimes levels appear invisible. This is because they are off screen, they are still playable.
    -Finish Line trigger does not disappear when playing.

So I have changed a lot within the editor, it actually works really smoothly. I am working on finishing up the download scripts, and implementing a secure registration script. This will allow users to save their levels on their profiles and such, and also will be used to keep track of best times. I think I've come a long way, but still have a decent bit more. The webplayer link above isn't updated. When I get this solid, I'll be sure to upload a new one and post it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  45. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Login and registration systems implemented.

46. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Got the rating system down. Upgraded to a pretty good AES system for usernames and passwords, so those should be very secure. Now redoing the GUI for the level endings to get them ready for polishing up with some interface graphics. Have some visuals in mind that will look good. No need for a picture update now because it looks the same, just works better.

47. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

This is a concept of the level select menu. Custom marbles will be available to download (just the textures) and you can build the stats to your specifications. There will likely be an unlock system for stats. If not, you will have limited that you can distribute how you please.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  48. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

UPDATE: Been working on making it compatible with Kongregate. I have a marble select screen now that you can choose different marbles (only have the one right now), and also alter stats. The stats include Speed, Jump, and Boost.

Increasing speed simply makes you roll faster.
    Jump makes you jump higher.
    Boost will make your boost last slightly longer, and also boost you more.

Users will be able to customize and upload their own marbles, though this is a bit of a confusing and server-demanding concept as there will be lots of uploading and downloading. This will take a while to implement, so it's going to be later on. I plan to have 10 premade marbles included with the game.

At this point, I have to finalize the login system, make a level unlock system (makes it so you have to play in order, and it will be linked to your account what levels you played, so you can't automatically go to level 30). Also, I want Kongregate users to be able to use their Kongregate account, so they won't have the hassle of registration again. If you are logged in on Kongregate, you'll be logged in on the game. Pretty cool.

The main menu alone has been completely recoded, with nearing 600 lines of code just for the login/register, main menu and marble customization screen. A lot of work is going into it, and it's really starting to look good.

49. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Got Kongregate fully implemented, other than achievements. Not too bad. I now have the marble setup screen done, and have 8 marbles built in (not 10, but oh well). Level editor is completely done. You are now able to save levels (saves to private server, so you can edit anywhere you login at). You also now have to finish the level before uploading it, to ensure that there are no levels online that are unbeatable. Created levels now also have a high score board. Oh, and you can delete your levels now, too! So they aren't permanent. Which is good. Rating system is flawless, you rate the level once-per-download. So if you download it and play it 100 times, you only rate it once. But I do have it so that if you download it at a later date and play again, you are able to rate it again. I really thought about that decision, and I think it's fine. It keeps some data off my servers, and also allows users to rate a level again if the editor changed it. Put a new, fancy boost bar in. It takes up the bottom of your screen, so it's not out-of-sight out-of-mind. A few of my buddies played it and didn't even notice the old boost bar.

I also rescripted the finish screen, but it looks pretty much the same. Just a lot easier to edit if I need to in the future, and also a lot easier on the processing.

To come: more sound effects, marble upload/download (got my server setup for it, just need to do the scripting ingame. Similar to the level upload scripts, so it's just making it work. Probably won't take that long. And also probably different textures for the platforms and some more editor pieces.

Anyhow... screenshots. I would love some feedback for once! Click to view the full size.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  50. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Added streaming music to it, so I can have like 100 songs and not take up any space beings that it's initial release will be webplayer. Also cleaned up some of the main menu stuff, the text is now properly centered and such.