Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Slender -- Beta 0.9

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by AgentParsec, Jun 27, 2012.

1. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Honestly? I have mixed feelings about it. I really only intended to post this on a few forums and that's it. Now that it's suddenly popular, I think it's great and I like the fact that people are enjoying it so much, but it also puts a lot of pressure on me to finish it. I feel like I'm obligated to do so now. I'm still learning Unity, and I really don't know if I can do it all by myself, but I can only do my best I guess.

2. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

That's what i was thinking, you don't have to feel pressured or even finish it don't bow to the public just because they demand it being made.

3. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Ohh, hmm maybe i will work to finish that map sooner then

4. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

I honestly just noticed that when the slender man captures you he grows tentacles nice !

5. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

It... HAS a map now. :p I wasn't getting any response from you, so I made one myself.

6. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

i would suggest taking the specularity down on the trees.

7. xniinja

xniinja

Dude, if you ask for help I'm sure anybody here would be more than happy to help.

8. Light Yagami

Light Yagami

Yes, I'm almost certain that that would fix the lagging problem. Would you try that, AgentParsec? I want to do a playthrough video of Slender this Wednesday (because I'll be alone for a while that day, and I don't want to annoy anyone with the screaming that is bound to emanate from my throat, ;)), but no matter what setting I choose on the startup screen, the game lags horrendously. However, this only happens when I'm looking at trees (the game is set in the woods, so... yeah), so when I look straight up or straight down, there's no lag at all. Maybe it's just my computer, I don't know, but would you mind trying MellowNinja's suggestion? I really want to experience this game.

Reply if you have the time, please.

9. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I'm not sure how to do that. I'm just using the default settings when I added the tree shader. What do I change for that, and how do I update it across all the trees on the terrain?

Also, I'm having another issue where the leaves light up if there's a spot light anywhere near the tree. I'd really like to fix that, because the alternative is stripping all the leaves from the trees, which wouldn't look as good. It doesn't happen with point lights, only with spot lights. Any ideas?

The actual lag issue might be due to the billboard distance being larger. I increased it on the latest versions because it was causing weird tree outlines to be visible in the distance and it could be used to make navigation easier (which I don't want).

10. ludiares

ludiares

I'm not sure about it, but i don't think the default tree material/shader has specularity

11. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

I AM MAKING ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rawr! Add it to the new version or something, so people can select different maps IDK it has more detail atm than current map you are using.

12. Mataxia

Mataxia

I am also having frame rate issues in 0.9.3. Tried 0.9.1 and didn't have any issues with that version.

13. seagod95350

seagod95350

Theres a lag problem when you look up at the trees... like severe. I could only move normally while looking at the ground. Anyway to fix this? I have an HP computer with windows 7 HD moniter 1 TB of memory and 4.0 RAM. My video card is moderate as it can play Minecraft with normal fog view on. I think the problem exist within the trees. They should Generate the 3d models of the trees as you near them like in Grand Theft Auto. Like when you near a building or tree it replaces it with its actual model. Like a blurred version and a more real version. This would dramatically help. Anyway I can play without this low frame rate lag feel? Also as far as the actual game goes when you get it up and running really well you should include a map editor.

14. pivotraze

pivotraze

That would help a lot with his game, but the problem with that is:

I'm assuming he's using Unity Free, so he does NOT have LOD (what you are talking about, blurred simple models at far, fully detailed up close). He would have to roll his own system, which wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world. I haven't played the new version yet (0.9.3) but I will be now.

Bugs:
    1. HUGE framerate issues, at random, inconsistent times. I didn't have these in the first version of the wooded one. Happens even on fastest, when I used to be able to play on fantastic.
    2. In the complex, one section doesn't light up leaving the complex, but coming from the OTHER way, it lights up.
    3. When you start sprinting, the leaves on the trees stay lit up, even though the flashlight is pointed at the ground, not forward/at the trees.

Suggestions:
    1. Add the mouse scroll wheel as a way to zoom. It's hardish to click Q or E when you are moving.
    2. View bob. I know you said there is no easy way to do this, but have you seen this:
    Headbobbing.boo
    Code (csharp):
    2. //Translated from C# to Boo
    3. import UnityEngine
    5. class Headbobbing (MonoBehaviour):
    7.     private timer as single = 0.0f
    8.     public bobbingSpeed as single = 0.18f
    9.     public bobbingAmount as single = 0.2f
    10.     public midpoint as single = 2.0f
    12.     totalAxes as single = 0.0f
    13.     translateChange as single = 0.0f
    15.     def Update ():
    16.         waveslice = 0.0f
    17.         horizontal = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal")
    18.         vertical = Input.GetAxis("Vertical")
    20.         if Mathf.Abs(horizontal) == 0 and Mathf.Abs(vertical) == 0:
    21.             timer = 0.0f
    23.         else:
    24.             waveslice = Mathf.Sin(timer)
    25.             timer = timer + bobbingSpeed
    26.             if timer > (Mathf.PI * 2):
    27.                 timer = timer - (Mathf.PI * 2)
    29.         if waveslice != 0:
    30.             translateChange = waveslice * bobbingAmount
    31.             totalAxes = Mathf.Abs(horizontal) + Mathf.Abs(vertical)
    32.             totalAxes = Mathf.Clamp(totalAxes, 0.0, 1.0)
    33.             translateChange = totalAxes * translateChange
    34.             transform.localPosition.y = midpoint + translateChange
    36.         else:
    37.             transform.localPosition.y = midpoint
    That wasn't too bad, attach to main camera.
    3. I don't know your opinion, but you move too slow IMHO.

That is all I have noticed.

P.S. I'm starting an additional mirror for your game, available at http://www.mediafire.com/slender

It starts at v0.9.3, I would go back further but I don't think it's available anymore.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  15. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

I agree with most of that, with the frame rate bug i'm not getting it at all although my specs are.

Nvidia gtx 580
    16 GB Ram
    i5 2500k

although it runs just as well on my mac. the on think i noticed or suggest is that the flash light should move when sprinting, you wouldn't hold a light perfectly still if you were running right ?

16. pivotraze

pivotraze

I only have the Intel HD 3000, but usually that pushes this game to pretty dang high FPS.

Yeah, I forgot to suggest that D: I was thinking the flashlight should bob to the left/down/right

17. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Also i'd like to think that you'd sprint a little quicker since adrenaline is rushing.

Its a really good game as well. just takes a while to walk across the whole map

18. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yeah. Since the first public release (in the OLD thread, not this one), I have felt you moved way too slow.

Don't get me wrong, I love how this game is going... but that makes me mad haha

19. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Yeah, i do sympathise with AgentParsec though. personally i'd hate being so public, as AgentParsec said its pressuring.

Screen shots ?

20. pivotraze

pivotraze

21. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

22. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

The framerate issue is definitely due to the increased billboard distance on the trees. I can lower it again, but the problem is that it makes it easier to see the path ahead of you when there are unnaturally lit lines around the trees far off in the distance. I can reduce it back to the default levels that it was at before, but honestly it makes the stuff in the distance look terrible.

I'm aware of the leaf rendering bug, it seems to be based around a spot light being anywhere near the tree. I haven't the slightest clue what's causing it, nor how to fix it.

You do sprint quicker when adrenaline is rushing in the latest version. When you hear the dramatic tone, that's when it lets you sprint faster for a while. I realize there's a lot of elements encouraging slow movement, but that's what I was going for. If you can dash through the game, you're failing to build suspense and tension. The pacing is balanced so that this isn't a game you beat in five minutes, and so that it has more of a chance to scare you. Also, it's a realistic movement speed (if I really wanted to be more realistic, I would slow the walk speed down even further; that's quite the power walk that the player is doing right now).

The problem with head bobbing scripts isn't being able to bob the view, it's being able to do so without affecting the multitude of scripts and objects attached to the camera. I've had weird bugs crop up due to the attempts, so I prefer to keep it level for now.

And Djdog, about getting a more detailed forest, I was going for a forest that WASN'T very detailed because it makes finding the landmarks easier. I'm sorry, but I did ask a few times if there was any progress and got no response, then clearly stated I had decided to make the map myself.

23. pivotraze

pivotraze

24. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

There is one think i found it extremely difficult to get the 6th page, the slenderman always gets me ;-;

also maybe instead of using the terrain editor to put the tree's in ( which i'm assuming you're doing) why not put them down individually ?

25. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

If I put them down individually, then I can't use all the terrain tools that do the automatic billboarding and stuff. Since I'm pretty sure making billboarding less present is what was causing the trouble, I imagine that switching to all manually placed trees will probably destroy framerate entirely.

26. pivotraze

pivotraze

Have you tried force turning off VSync?

27. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Any graphic quality setting below "Good" has vsync disabled, and it happens with those settings as well from what I understand.

I'm just going to lower the billboard distance some more. Honestly it was when I changed it that people started having issues.

28. seagod95350

seagod95350

Change it quickly please I can barely play it at all and I want to experience it my self D: Also that old version with the house and forest and pistol, that was creepy if you had a place more like that I would be creeped the hell out xD

29. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

That wasn't my game, someone else made that one.

30. seagod95350

seagod95350

Well how long will it take to make it lag less?

31. pivotraze

pivotraze

Huh, I wasn't aware of that. And yeah, it happened on fastest. And haha k

Yeah... he never had a pistol in his :)

32. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

When I release the next version. It takes a lot to get everything set for a release, since I have to go around and update all my links for the new download and let people know about it. I don't want to release a new version every time I make a tiny change to the game; I'm just going to release a number of changes at once.

For starters, I'm not going to release an update until the SM model is fixed. That's a major one that's been sorely needed for a whlie now, and the one I get the most complaints about. I'll put the billboard modification in at that time (along with a modification to the game's ending).

33. xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

Well I'm running an i7 with Radeon 5870 1gb and 6gb ram and have pretty consistent 60 fps even looking up, on fantastic. It's a creepy game for sure and I'm glad to see a unity game becoming so popular. Congrats man. My biggest complaint would be the walk speed. A minimap would take from the experience, in my opinion. It'd be weird to just look at a map and not think about it. I like having to feel "lost" in the forest trying to find clues. I made my girlfriend and her brother both play and they both screamed and enjoyed it.

34. john-essy

john-essy

35. JIVLNG

JIVLNG

Hey i was wondering if i could do professional graphics for the slender game to make it overall more scary and overall better textures/looks. I do work for teams associated with Machinima with 500,000+ subscribers and am very experienced. Please reply or get back to my skype: jediahkw

I added a guy named AgentParsec on skype, hopefully its you, if not.. add me on my account, please reply, thanks!

I messaged you also on youtube, i have 2,000 subscribers and the name is "JIVLNG"

36. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

... I just figured out what the framerate problem was. All this time I had fog turned off. Now I can afford to lower the billboard distance and max mesh trees without it affecting quality. Everything looks so much better now, and I BELIEVE it will run better too. I'm such an idiot for missing that. -.-

37. Ricenchicken

Ricenchicken

Hey, you should add a changelog for each version to your main post so we can see the update news!

also have you heard of steam greenlight?

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

It would be great to add your game to it!
    and if you need any game pictures/covers I use photoshop a lot and would be glad to help out in anyway I can!

38. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

There's a changelog in the readme that comes with the game.

39. drb1992

drb1992

OK I just played the game. Great job so far man. There were definitely a few times that the Slender Man surprised me. I have to agree with what some others have said. The walking/jogging speed is too slow. I don't think it has to be increased a ton, but the movement speed should be increased, at least a little. I understand you don't want player's completing the game in 5 min, but that isn't an excuse to make the character move agonizingly slow. A simple way to increase the movement speed and keep the length of the game the same is by increasing the speed and size of the level proportionately. For example, lets say the character is moving 5 MPS (meters per sec) and the level is 1000x1000 meters (1 million meters total). You can increase the speed to 10 MPS and increase the level size to 1415x1415 (roughly twice the size). Thus, you will end up with twice the speed and the same amount of game time. Just an idea. Take it or leave it. I honestly do think you should increase the movement speed though.

40. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Updating links in first post for v0.9.4. Jogging speed is slightly faster in this one. Complete list of changes is in the readme file.

41. deepsea

deepsea

The game is very good, but i noticed when character run the flashlight doesn't swing at all. I think you should make the light swing when character run and the camera should swing too. Even when walking the light should swing a little bit. This feature will make this game more realistic! :)

Sorry for my bad English!

42. Csubi

Csubi

Well, the game looks awesome from what I've seen in videos, but unfortunately it still runs bad for me, same as 9.3 :/ And no matter what settings or resolution I pick, it still stays the same. I'm playing from a laptop maybe that's the issue? Well I can run other new games decently (at least certain ones), maybe simply the fact that it's a laptop?
    Anyway, keep up the good work, hopefully I can play it too soon :D

43. pivotraze

pivotraze

Why did you switch to 4shared .-.

Mediafire mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?rxl2xkdjaby0571 (v0.9.4)

44. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Mediafire shut down my files, saying I violated terms of service, instead of checking with me first. 4shared works, you don't have to register.

45. pivotraze

pivotraze

Weird. Most people do. I had to last time I went to that site unregistered.

Regardless, my Mediafire account is still good.

46. Csubi

Csubi

Hmm, update: A friend of mine has same issue, it still terribly lags for him too, but he has a PC not a laptop. He thinks it's his CPU, well mine is week too (1,2GHz dualcore - yep not the most modern one but many new games run okay on it. I mean low-medium settings 15-20fps are fine for me, but this game has 2-3 regardless the settings or resolution). But he has better CPU, 1 core but still games usually run much better for him, but this one still lags for him.
    Well, since I'm not an expert at programming, I cannot give any advices, I just hope you manage to solve these issues, I'd really love to enjoy the game. (I had a Win reinstall yesterday, so it's not to be blamed, it was like that before it too, and yes I installed everything. :p) Or maybe... Can I reach somehow earlier versions of the game? A version that is before your update that you think made it laggy for many people. If that lags then this might not had been the issue. I'd test it with my friend too.
    So, still, keep up the good work with the game, I hope I can enjoy it in the future too!

47. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I'm really not sure what's causing the lag then. I mean, I could set all the render settings for the terrain back to default and see what happens, but it just makes the distant trees look terrible. :p

48. Figerox

Figerox

(CHECK YOUR INBOX)

I was wondering, how did you make it so that slendy pops up randomly, or whatever he does? maybe you could help me with my scipt for my game. "Motel" there is an area (only a small area) in the game where once... I'll just inbox you, i don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone reading this.

49. Light Yagami

Light Yagami

I downloaded the new version. It's running a bit better, but it's still kind of slow. I'm not trying to nag you or anything, I'm just pointing it out.

50. maetheec

maetheec

Fantastic :)

Love the atmosphere. Very creepy.
    My only comment is the slender man looks creepier on distance, Up close he's less scary. Not sure how to fix it though... may be more details in the model.