Slender -- Beta 0.9

*** EDITED WITH v0.9.7 LINKS ***

The completed "beta v0.9.7" version of Slender: The Eight Pages is ready:

Download page

Preview video (recorded during v0.9):

Last edited by AgentParsec; 09-06-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: v0.9.7 update

2. Location
    Canberra, Australia
    A programmer is someone who is so irritated by small inconveniences that they will spend weeks writing a script, so they can spend days debugging same script, so they can save five minutes of their time, which they will waste reading slashdot.

3. Posts
    Apologies also if anyone has trouble downloading it for the next half hour. I have to reupload because there was a very small change I had to make.

*EDIT* Okay, it's finished uploading.
    Last edited by AgentParsec; 06-27-2012 at 12:09 AM.

4. Location
    United States
    I've been following this game for awhile, and I am impressed with the quick progress you have made. I have a friend who loves to play scary/creepy games, so I will have him play this game some time soon. I'll let you know how the play session goes haha.

*PS We always play scary games at night in a dark room. I'm sure you are not surprised by this, but it can amplify spookiness/scariness immensely.

5. Location
    Montana
    As with drb1992, I've been following this project since the first page of your original WIP.

I have to say... it's coming along really well, and pretty fast. I love it I will wait until night here to play the beta, so my review will either come on late tonight, or early tomorrow
    PROUD user of Boo

Seafire Software
    http://www.codydostal.info
    The Island of HABIT: Slenderman - Under... Re-Construction, shall we say?
    Specs: 8GB RAM, 2.3GHz Intel i3-2350M, Intel HD 3000, 1600x900 17.3" LED Screen

6. Pocket Artist
    Oh my god!

It actually happened on the third page...freaked me out the first time even if I was expecting that creepy "guy".It took me a few seconds to calm down and I started approaching him(well,I thought that he doesn't do anything...just stays there like a creepy guy).

Then,ahh the horrors...the screen froze,and that noise...it was horrifying!Especially with my headphones on...

What about adding a slow effect the first time you meet him.Slow the player as he runs away...it could give a more intense experience.Also before meeting the creepy guy,you could make the flashlight stop/fade and then,suddenly the scary guy pops up.

Keep it up!
    Asset Store Content Packs

NEW! UPDATED VERSION
    Medieval Lightsources Pack v2.0
    __________________________________________________ ________________

Portofolio:
    My portofolio 3D Artist
    __________________________________________________ ________________

New To UNITY?Orient yourself now!
    Learn UNITY!

7. Location
    United States, California
    Sweet!

Looks cool

Unrelated question: Is anyone else (on Mac) getting this bug where no matter what you click, the app opens in fullscreen?

8. Location
    Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by bucco View Post
    Sweet!

Looks cool

Unrelated question: Is anyone else (on Mac) getting this bug where no matter what you click, the app opens in fullscreen?
    Not here

9. Posts
    Well... got to note 4 and he got me and scared the crap out of me. Good game dude.

10. Location
    The Netherlands Groningen
    Wow, that has some really nice atmosphere there.

I never could make it dark in Unity, must give it a try again. It increases
    coolness in a gothic game I'm making.
    Nederlander, working on action adventure Gargoyle game.
    www.heliora.com

11. Posts
    So, it's my first time playing the game, and here's my thought process. I was running it on a Mac at full resolution, with graphics set to "Beautiful".

"Whoa, nice trees!"
    ***After searching for a while, found 1 note***
    "Ok, I'm safe. The forum thread seemed to indicate he would appear after 3 notes."
    ***Sees SM*** "I guess not..."
    ***Finds another note***
    "Hmm, I think I can do this. It's not THAT scary..."
    ***Turns around to look for SM while still walking. Turns back and is scared out of mind by a tree***
    "Never mind..."
    ***Finds 3rd note***
    ***Lost in the woods***
    ***Horrible sound makes me jerk the mouse around and lose my orientation even more***
    ***Dies horrible death a few seconds later***

I LIKE IT!!!!!

Here are some things I noticed though:
    * In the brick building with the tile floor, as I exited, I noticed that my flashlight wasn't shining on the "outermost" section of the tile and brick very much. However, I tried shining my flashlight back into the building after I went out, and it lit up the tile and floor. So it seemed to be a directional thing...
    * Also, the footsteps are the same indoors as outdoors. Maybe if you added in a muffled "knock" sound, and mixed it over the footsteps? That way, you'd have a regular floor sound, but it would also sound like you still had dirt on your shoes
    * At one point, I turned to see if SM was there. I couldn't see him, but I heard the static, so it gave away his position. I looking down the path, so I'm guessing SM was in sight, but not within flashlight range.
    * Would be nice to be able to set mouse sensitivity

This is just an idea, but what if you made it so that whether the player has the flashlight out or not matters? Maybe if SM is a long ways away, having the flashlight off makes him approach slightly slower (ie. SM takes longer to spot you), but if you have your flashlight off when SM is close, he decides to go in for the kill slightly earlier?

This would make it so that every time you want to use your flashlight, you'll be worried about where SM is. Just an idea though, the game is looking amazing already!
    Last edited by Blender51; 06-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.

12. Posts
    Thanks for the feedback! I agree about the indoor footstep sounds, I'll see what I can do about it.

Right now, SM moves the same whether or not you have the flashlight on, with the exception that he can potentially jump within capture range of you (normally there's a minimum distance). I could add that sanity loss is cut down if the flashlight is off, but not eliminated entirely.

No idea how to change mouse sensitivity in game. I will look into it. I'm thinking of adding a menu, so I'll put it there if I figure it out.

13. Location
    Spain
    You can change the sensitivity in the mouselook script of the first person controller, just by adjusting two values

14. Posts
    Okay, I believe I figured out what's causing the lag for some people at the beginning of the game. A couple of the textures I was using were actually some sort of procedurally generated thing instead of a normal texture. I noticed when I first started using the texture that there was suddenly a few seconds (only about 3 or 4) of lag at the beginning of the game before it started, but I dismissed it and didn't make the connection with the textures I had just imported. Then when people started talking about startup lag, I took more notice of it but still didn't remember the additional textures until recently. I took them out and replaced them with normal textures, and the few seconds of startup lag on my computer was gone, so I expect the long lag some people are getting should be gone too. Uploading a new version, will edit this post when it is ready.

*EDIT* Okay, updated first post. Besides the texture fix, I also slightly modified flashlight mechanics, and I also slightly increased walk/run speed (but increased SM's speed as well to compensate). More details in the readme.
    Last edited by AgentParsec; 06-29-2012 at 10:27 PM.

15. Posts
    The biggest feedback I keep getting from people is that the Slender Man model looks a bit off. I thought he looked all right, but I guess a lot of people hold a higher standard than I do when it comes to SM.

That said, it's hard to pin down a specific set of measurements for him. I don't think the current model is bad by any means, but I guess if there's one weird thing about it, it's the wide shoulders. If that was drawn in a bit, he would definitely look more 'slender'.

Also, I've been giving thought to the whole tentacle thing, and I realized how might be able to implement tentacles without really worrying about if they're visible to the player. I could just make it so that they are not present normally, but at about 70% sanity or so, the animated tentacles object appears on his back, and gradually grows larger in inverse proportion to the sanity level. So as sanity drops, the tentacles get larger and visibly stick out from his back. This effect ends up only showing up when he's being looked at, therefore, and will only rarely be visible otherwise (only if sanity is low and SM is just barely not visible, such as behind a tree or around a corner). If SM suddenly vanishes in this situation, instead of making the tentacles vanish I could just have it stay put and very quickly shrink away before they are removed.

16. Location
    Belgium
    This is cool, i personally like horror fps games. There's only one thing :
    In the first person view it clearly says the light source is supposed to be a flashlight, while in the first person camera it looks like he's looking through his flashlight or something. It would look better if you showed like a hand holding a flashlight ( just like in first-person shooters ).

All by all, it's looking great, and i can't wait to see more of it!

17. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timyung View Post
    This is cool, i personally like horror fps games. There's only one thing :
    In the first person view it clearly says the light source is supposed to be a flashlight, while in the first person camera it looks like he's looking through his flashlight or something. It would look better if you showed like a hand holding a flashlight ( just like in first-person shooters ).

All by all, it's looking great, and i can't wait to see more of it!
    The average person holds a flashlight at their side, not at arms length in front of them (your arm would wear out quickly holding it like that).

18. Location
    Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentParsec View Post
    The average person holds a flashlight at their side, not at arms length in front of them (your arm would wear out quickly holding it like that).
    The coppers hold it right by their head ;D
    PROUD user of Boo

Seafire Software
    http://www.codydostal.info
    The Island of HABIT: Slenderman - Under... Re-Construction, shall we say?
    Specs: 8GB RAM, 2.3GHz Intel i3-2350M, Intel HD 3000, 1600x900 17.3" LED Screen

19. Posts
    The PC link gives the following error: Service Temporarily Unavailable. I am very eager to try this out! hope the link works soon

20. Posts
    Hi, looks great and I also watched PewDiePie play it... I can't seem to download it on mac though, the link gives me a server error thing.. Please fix it so i can piss myself soon!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast