Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GUI Skins on the Asset Store?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by khanstruct, Jun 27, 2012.

1. khanstruct

khanstruct

First, I am not immediately advertising anything on the Asset Store, which is why I chose to post here. If this belongs there, I apologize, and feel free to move it. (I didn't want to step on the existing toes of the asset store folks.)

Also, while this is basically a "what would you like to see on the asset store" thread, its a bit more specific to my own work.

With that out of the way! I am working with another developer here, and we are building various collections of GUI Skins (for use with Unity's default GUI). We have a lot of ideas for different GUI themes, but I'd like to know what themes you'd be most interested in seeing.

These should be broad themes (not specific to your game).

Some examples:
    Magical?
    Holographic Sci-Fi?
    Polished Metal Sci-Fi?
    Zombies!?
    Steampunk?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

2. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

I'm gonna say if you can pull off a great looking polished feel with the built in GUI with all of those, you could pack it up and sell it for a good sum. Or even a cheap sum or two packs of the more techish looking things and a more mythical/olderish looking pack. If you sell these for cheap I would defiantly buy them for a placeholder, or if they are good, the final product.

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

Here's a quick sample of one of my medieval styles (Green Crystal). There are still a few things to be added, and this will be included in a pack of multiple colors (Red Crystal, Blue Crystal, etc. 5 colors in all)

Thoughts? And what would be a fair price?

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

Is that Font "RingBearer"?

5. Drunken-Monkey

Drunken-Monkey

would rather see some skins for nGUI.

6. kenlem

kenlem

Agreed.

7. tatelax

tatelax

Agreed.

8. khanstruct

khanstruct

No, it's actually "Triforce", and obviously wouldn't be included in the package, but I would provide a link to the original creator so you could download it.

Interesting. I've only used EZ GUI. Is there a template/skin, or are you guys just looking for individual graphic images?

9. kenlem

kenlem

There isn't exactly a template like the GUI Skins but individual graphics that get combined into an atlas. Check out the free version of nGUI on the asset store if you want to see how they use their assets.

10. khanstruct

khanstruct

I just checked out nGUI and how to create atlases and such... wow. That is a lot less work than the way I'm doing it now (for GUISkins). It also allows me to add a lot more interesting visual features.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  11. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Well if u switch to nGUI I wouldn't mind snatching ur old GUI skins for projects to use for prototyping and maybe some quick game mockups. I personally haven't gotten to look at nGUI, but I suppose I should sometime soon.

12. kenlem

kenlem

khanstruct - I wouldn't totally ignore the regular gui skin customers as those aren't going away anytime soon. Having some nice GUI Skins on the asset store might encourage people to use that system.

13. khanstruct

khanstruct

Duly noted. It wouldn't be much trouble to do both. The nGUI customers would just get a few more bells and whistles.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

My only suggestion is make sure they look good on the full range of mobile screen sizes (ranging from 3GS to iPad 3)

15. khanstruct

khanstruct

I'll do what I can with that. However, creating GUI for mobile devices can be tricky. For instance, you typically want buttons to be at least 96px X 96px. This makes things a bit awkward, especially for things like checkboxes that, in a PC/Mac game, really don't need to be that big.

16. ShaneS

ShaneS

I'd also be interested in nGUI

17. kenlem

kenlem

I like all the following themes in order:

Holographic Sci-Fi
    Zombies!
    Steampunk
    Polished Metal Sci-Fi

Mobile compatibility is a must.

18. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

Agreed

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, it's a hassle. I know GUIKit001 (UnityGUI-based) has a low-res and hi-res version of its skin, but that was before the iPad Retina display came out, so maybe there's a third one by now.

20. Streamline Games

Streamline Games

Hey man, you got skype? I need to ask you a question.