Search Unity

How to play a shuriken particle system?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Tiles, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Tiles

Tiles

I have this code here. With the old particle system i had no problem to play it with the old keywords ParticleEmitter instead ParticleSystem and emit instead play.

Code (csharp):
    1. var myparticlesystem: ParticleSystem;
    2. var test:boolean=false;
    4. function OnCollisionEnter(other: Collision){
    5.         test=true;
    6.         myparticlesystem.play=true;
    7. }
    The particle system is in the variable slot. Test goes to true with a collision. The collision triggers. But the particle system does not play. I get an error instead:

Code (csharp):
    1. MissingFieldException: Field 'UnityEngine.ParticleSystem.play' not found.
    The reference says that i have to use Play though (by the way, why is the first letter big here? Shouldn`t it be a small letter?)

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/ParticleSystem.Play.html

What is wrong here?

2. Dantus

Dantus

Play is a method, not a property or a field.

Code (csharp):
    1. myparticlesystem.Play();

3. Tiles

Tiles

Ah, no wonder. So the method has changed too, not just the keywords. Many thanks Dantus :)

I wish this would be mentioned in the manual too ...

4. Tseng

Tseng

Typical case of RTFM: Particle System. The docs already describes all of the methods the class has.

Edit:
    P.S.

ParticleAnimator, ParticleEmiter and ParticleRenderer are part of the legacy (old) Particle system.

ParticleSystem, ParticleSystem.Particle and ParticleSystemRenderer are the new Shuriken Particle classes

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  5. Tiles

Tiles

This was and is always my first way. But this didn`t help me, as usual. I nearly always end in the forum when i have a look at the reference. Because it is more a dictionary. And doesn`t really help with the useage in most cases.

I was in need of Dantus`s code snippet to understand what is meant. And then i understood it very quick. So again thanks Dantus.

6. Dantus

Dantus

You can see it in the documentation that you are dealing with a function (method). The line just below the title is:

I struggle with this kind of things too if I have to implement something in UnityScript, as it doesn't (or maybe didn't?) have such good autocompletion as C#.

@Tseng: You can not tell someone RTFM, if he even posted a link to it :).

7. Tiles

Tiles

Yes, but i didn`t realize it until i saw your code snippet. I was too focused at the old method with the flag. My brain refused to accept what it has read. Maybe i should have a look for a new brain. Do you have one left? :)