Search Unity

Unity 4 upgrade pricing change

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Antilycus

Antilycus

Actually the free version DOES NOT include IOS Basic (or any development packages). So techincally, if a user paid 400 USD for IOS Basic, he/she is UPGRADING when they go to IOS (pro) add-on. The end user DID pay money for a license number.... if you have a license number (I am not familiar if free users get one), you should automatically be considered an upgrade. Otherwise the verbage on the website needs/needed to be more accurate. While I do applaud Unity for doing what is right, a license is still a license. If you are upgrading from grapes to wine, you are still upgrading.

And a different note, is there any info on when people that pre-order Unity 4 (non pro, w/ just certain non pro packages, but still paid money) get access to the public beta? I am personally looking for Linux and under download it only has Windows and MAC OS X. Some people wish to embrace open source and wanted to pay for their licenses to do so. They should be treated just like everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The web site clearly says "Pre-order Unity Pro 4 and get exclusive access to the Unity 4.0 public beta".

There's not going to be a Linux version, nor was it ever implied there would be. There will be an option to publish a standalone Linux build in Unity 4, using the OS X or Windows version.

Using any given OS doesn't somehow give you any "right" to software for that OS. There has to be a legitimate business reason for them to consider producing a Linux editor.

--Eric

3. imtrobin

imtrobin

So your logic is that from IOS Basic 3 to IOS Basic 4 is an upgrade but from IOS Basic 3 to IOS Pro 4 is not.

4. orb

orb

Unity consider Pro the initial purchase. Quit harping on about it and just deal with it.

5. Undead

Undead

Still waiting....

I did finally get a reply from the sales team who said they would check in to it, but it's now been 10 days since they said that and again I have had no email...

6. unitynewb

unitynewb

Is the $125 for IOS basic price permanent or just for the pre order window? When does the special get $200 dollars for ordering pro expire?

7. 0123456789

I am not a unity employee but here is my understanding. If someone else knows better please correct me.

The $200 voucher for new Unity 4 pre-orders (purchased on or before July 9th) was stated to be good for 12 months towards an add-on purchase.
    So if you pre-order unity 4 today (after July 9th) you do not get the voucher.

Not sure about your IOS basic question. The $125 price is for upgrading from IOS basic 3.x to IOS basic 4.x, but the FAQ is not clear if this is the permanent price.

8. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hello,

When we can try a beta of unity 4?

9. Tiles

Tiles

When the Beta is out

10. maieve

maieve

thanks... DAVID :) YEAH!!!!

11. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Did you ever get sorted? I too am still waiting on reimbursement. As this has rolled into another month, yet more credit card interest charges on this amount. Can someone at UT confirm when these are going through!

12. Undead

Undead

Sadly, nothing yet, I have not recived a reply from the sales team and it's now been 3 weeks and another email to them just over a week ago and no reply...

To be honest i'm not impressed with lack of service from the sales team, so far I have had no problems with the support team at Unity but I guess there is a first time for everything...

Some news from Unity on what is happening with this situation would be nice...

13. mgear

mgear

Almost 2 months now, still no reply..

ps. Can I get a free licence if there is no reply in 3 months? :cool:

14. kersk

kersk

I didn't receive a direct credit reimbursement for the price change either, but I did notice I had another $200 voucher applied to my account. I'm guessing that's how they handled sending out the reimbursements?

15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I received my Visa statement Monday and it had the $250 reimbursement from Unity.
    I bought in as soon as I heard the announcement so I paid $850 and got the $200 voucher.
    When I wrote them, after the change of price, I told them I wouldn't use the voucher so I'd like the price of $600, instead of the $750 and the voucher.
    Now, I haven't heard back on the email but I'm treating it like they heard me.
    IF (almost certainly won't) I do decide to buy something that the voucher would have covered I will first write them and tell them the situation,
    so they can clarify what the status of the voucher is, I have no desire to scam them on the voucher and probably wouldn't be able to anyway.

16. ribarra

ribarra

Hi guys!
    I've just bough the unity ios license.. but when I open it, I receive an error saying this "This prerelease version of Unity 4.0 can only be run by 4.x license holders" How can I solve it?

17. mgear

mgear

I think you need to get Unity Pro license for that..

18. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hello,

I have the pro version + flash, but I have the same error message ...

19. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

I have the same problem and it's quite frustrating actually.

I downloaded and installed last night but then I got the oh so common "You have reached your activation limit..." message when I tried to activate it last night so having to wait till tonight to get that fixed, I guess I'll be down for 2-nights now since I've had this executable in my hand...

-Will

PS - Well I'm at least glad my PayPal upgrade funds got into UT hands without nary a glitch...

20. accessdev

accessdev

End august unity4 isnt out yet.

what a business to get money from preorders while the product is not mature at all. I m happy that we didnt payed yet for that upgrade :)

21. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I think the preorder method is useful to find who is serious about upgrading so they can take part in the early beta.
    For me, paying now or paying later isn't really an issue, it's still the same cost, actually, less in the preorder stage.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  22. accessdev

accessdev

well, they should offer beta to most active/older users. dont need to ask money for that , it s easy to identify which company is using the engine a lot

Good for u if u have enough cash to pay for software licences in advance :) but unfortuately lot of individuals/small indies are not in this case..

Especially those who bought unity 3.5 in april/may and have payed unity 3.5 full price for only a few month of use.

23. VirtualPierogi

VirtualPierogi

One thing isnt clear to me: I have Unity 3.5 free and got my Android basic license, do i have to pay for using Unity 4 free and Android basic?

24. larvantholos

larvantholos

You will need to upgrade your android basic, which is not a free license, tho they did offer them free for a while as a promotional for 3.5.

25. kersk

kersk

Wow, just happened to check my bank statement and I finally got my upgrade price change reimbursement!

That really took a long time, but I'm not complaining. So if you haven't gotten yours yet, hang in there.

26. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello guys,

Any news on when will Unity3d 4 full version will be available? I have been working with the beta but there are problems with the iPhone Loading screen and I was told that the full version will be launched in October but nothing yet.

Regards

27. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hmmm, this is the first I have heard that it would be released in October, where did you hear it?
    Seems it's still in the works.

28. rumek

rumek

Last days in October mayby

29. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Guess not.
    :)

30. RenOli

RenOli

Hello everybody,

I would like to know how I get my $200 voucher, I bought the Unity 4 at the first week announced.
    I sent an E-mail, but they didn't answered me.

I have to buy some itens in asset store urgently.

Thank you very much.

31. RenOli

RenOli

Please. it is really urgent!

32. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

33. RenOli

RenOli

Thank you very much.
    I just sent a message :)

34. edd

edd

Is unity panning on charging for every step upgrade?

$unity.png

I tried searching for more information on this could anyone point me in the right direction ?

35. jashan

jashan

Wow, that looks weird. I could literally buy 4 "features" and spend $332 ... and I have no idea what I would be paying for ... maybe someone "played" with the store and something went online that shouldn't have gone online?

36. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Features 43 must be pretty bad and with bugs as it only costs one third of 44/45/46 :) JK

37. mgear

mgear

Timeout gateway error..cannot purchase those :)

But i would buy shadows and profiler for those prices to my indie.. hmm rendertexture too.

38. kshiva

kshiva

nice to share the information

39. refract

refract

I have a question.
    I've bought Unity for ios and made an iPhone game a few years back. Its at version 1.7.0f1(38208)
    I ran my serial on the Unity website and it says Unity pro upgrade at $1150 + the ios pro upgrade to 4.x at $1250 = $2400

So with me purchasing my original license, I now have to pay $2400 just to upgrade it? From what I remember it my old license was around $1250 ... and now my new Unity license is around $3650 total cost with an upgrade? (new users have it much much cheaper than that,.. and as a long time user it looks like I'm getting screwed)

Please correct my if I'm wrong.

Also, I was thinking of going monthly, but at 150/on a 12 month contract is $1800,.. and if I go over that,.. it may be better paying the new $2400
    Can I go month to month after a 12 month subscription?
    thanks

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's a license from Unity 2. You would be skipping Unity 3 entirely, which would normally have been a $750+$750 upgrade for Unity Pro + iOS Pro, plus another $750+$750 when Unity 4 was released.

Only if you got it on sale; a new license for Unity Pro is normally $1500, and iOS Pro is an additional $1500.

Someone buying Unity Pro + iOS Pro now would pay $3000, but they wouldn't have been able to benefit from using Pro for the past several years. I hope you understand that virtually all software (that's not based on a rental model) generally works like this: you buy it, eventually a major new version is released, you pay an upgrade fee if you want the new version.

In what way? I was under the impression that upgrades from more than 1 full version ago were full-price, but it seems that's not the case and you're still saving some money. It's cheaper than it would have been if you had done the 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.x upgrade cycle.

--Eric

41. refract

refract

So $3000 for my old license, and 2400 to upgrade it, makes my total cost for the Unity engine.$5400
    Where as new users total cost is $3000

"I was under the impression that upgrades from more than 1 full version ago were full-price"? Interesting. That can't be considered an upgrade then, thats basically buying a whole new license. So what I can tell then, is my unity license has naturally outdated its self and now I can't use it with the new iPhone 5 and new versions of xcode. And if I don't upgrade it, its essentially worthless. (old versions of photoshop and Maya still work)

Sorry for all the questions,. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this process.
    Thanks

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

New users have not been using Unity Pro for the last 5 years. I think you're overlooking that part; it's kind of important. Take it to the logical extreme: if you want to save the most money possible, wait until the very last version of Unity ever. How well would that work out? Sure, you can pay just $3000 for Unity 20, and sneer at the suckers who paid $27K in upgrade fees, but they've been using Unity Pro for 50 years and you haven't. (Note: this is not an official prediction that Unity 20 will be the last version ever. ;) )

I suppose. Upgrading from Photoshop CS4 to CS6 is full-price (also CS5.5 was a paid upgrade rather than free, not that Adobe would be considered a shining example of ideal upgrade policies).

Welcome to the exciting worlds of game engines and mobile hardware, which is a double whammy since both of those are things that change rapidly and become obsolete very quickly. You could always just stick with the free licenses of Unity if you don't want to pay any upgrade fees.

--Eric

43. refract

refract

Thanks Eric for your responses and patience with my questions.

A lot of companies I've worked at, Sony, Activision, EALA, and more, seem to all mostly have proprietary game engines. And the countless hours they spend on programmers working on the engines,.. is .. really insurmountable. I suppose engines like Unity are far far cheaper in the long haul.
    I'll just have to suck it up and save up some money. :)