Search Unity

Unity 4 upgrade pricing change

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jun 25, 2012.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

Ah, so when upgrading you no longer get the $200 voucher, you get the 20% instead?

2. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Did I ever say I love you UT?
    I just bought iOS Pro 4 for only 400 bucks... Oh my god, THIS is what I call loyalty reward!!

3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Wrong. I used both for iOS license.

4. Per

Per

Really? I got not voucher here. Did you buy a whole new unity license or upgrade from a previous pro license?

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

I never received a $200 discount. Both parts (Unity Pro and iOS Pro) cost me $600 each.

EDIT: Also David's post does say "For new Unity Pro purchases we are also throwing in a $200"

6. Tseng

Tseng

He probably got the Unity Pro license before the new prices and got iOS Pro after the reduced prices, which would explain why he got the voucher and 20%

7. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I got Unity 4 first and received the email with the voucher code.
    Than when they reduced the prices, I used my voucher code for iOS. Couldn't use it if I'd buy it all at once.
    And no, it is not a new license.

But thinking about it, the checkout page says it was 400, but the invoice email says it was 600...
    And in the last email I dont have a voucher code anymore so the code have being used. If it didnt apply, I just lost my 200 voucher xD. Whatever, the price is already fair.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ

That makes sense - you bought the Unity Pro upgrade when they were offering the $200 voucher for upgrades.

9. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Headline in next morning news: "drinking causes prices to fall down" ;)

10. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Outstanding.

This really does restore one's faith in Unity, its great to see that they listen to the concerns of their community with regard to business matters. Honestly I'm surprised they were able to do this, as I figured once the initial price plan was released it would be very difficult for them to change it (for all sorts of reasons).

Overall a far, far fairer pricing plan, particularly for those with many add-ons and with discounts plus vouchers to sweeten the deal even further.

Though someone from Unity really should start a thread about the new pricing plan in the gossip section since that;s were much of the discussion has taken place. Yes some details have been added to existing threads, but it just gets lost. A new thread would, even as a sticky, pointing here, would probably reach far more many people than just having this one in announcements.

11. nipoco

nipoco

Outstanding move and much appreciated :)

12. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

@David: Thanks for listening to the crowds and adjusting the pricing accordingly.

13. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Ima going to alcoholic coma right nao!

14. Metron

Metron

Could Unity staff make a statement about the Android/iOS price increase *after* a basic license has been upgraded (see my post on the first page; the one with the images)?

15. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

David Helgason still uses the forums once in a while. Kind of warms the heart.

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

If you purchase a new Unity Pro license you get the voucher which should appear in the store purchase summary next time you prepare a purchase.

17. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Whoops. That looks strange. I'll poke the store guys.

18. spacefrog

spacefrog

Is the voucher coming with a "Unity Pro Android" purchase too, or only when buying the base "Unity Pro" package ( = and not valid when buying into a Pro addon for an existing Unityy Pro license ) ?

19. Thinice

Thinice

This is a surprising move. Never seen anything like this before, UT you are AWESOME.

I was going to stay at Unity 3.x after seeing the update price but now I'm going after Unity 4 for sure!

Thank you very much for listening to your customers: things like this are not easily forgotten :)

20. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Correct. It's the base Unity pro license which triggers the voucher on first purchase.

21. edd

edd

Fantastic!
    Actions speak louder than words, upgrades are paid and bagged!

I would like to thank all staff and fellow users who helped this issues come to a swift and amicable end.

22. online|offworld

online|offworld

Wait, I don't think I've got it right yet in my head:

I have Unity 3.x (free) and the iOS 3.x addon. Are you saying that I can either :

1. upgrade to Unity Pro 4.x for $750 (-$200) = $550, or
    2. upgrade to Unity Pro 4.x for $750 and iOS Pro 4.x for $750 (-$200) = $1300?

23. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

No.

24. online|offworld

online|offworld

25. online|offworld

online|offworld

Oops, sorry, was replying with one word unhelpful?

So, I have Unity 3.x free, it'll still cost me $1500 to upgrade to pro, then $750 to upgrade from Unity Pro 3.x to Unity Pro 4.x?
    Or, I just buy Unity Pro 4.x for $1500, and get the Unity Pro 3.x bundled until 4 comes out?

26. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You buy Unity Pro 4.x for $1500, and get the Unity Pro 3.x bundled until 4 comes out.

27. fivearchers

fivearchers

Purchased!

28. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Dear Unity... I just realised I need to nullify my 2th activation of my license because I've not being using PC for years (only Mac's BootCamp) and the old machine I activated the Windows side of my licenses, that PC is gone!
    I just tried to install Unity 3.5 in BootCamp and it says that my License is still active on that dead machine and you guys need to help me with that because BootCamp now is my only way on building stuff with Dx11.

I sent a request already and it says you guys take around 5 days to solve problems like that, but I'm just reiterating it here to make sure I won't need to wait until beta ends to be able to run Unity on Windows. Beta access is crucial for my plans with Unity 4!
    Thank you very much the one who'll solve my issue.
    (I wouldn't care about it if not for Dx11, but now I need to bother you with that, sorry)

Edit: ... ... You guys already did it. 30 minutes... I have no words... Just WOW!!
    I will remember this before I even think on talking any S*** about UT. Thank you very much!
    Shall we mess with Unity 4 now please, pretty please!

29. 3Duaun

3Duaun

This move single handedly renewed our respect for Unity, and ended (at least ad long as Unity continues offering fair prices to indies like these) our move back to UDK. Unity, we're happy to be with you again, we were going to ride out our 3.x licences as we ported to UDK because of their new $50k revenue line Flash export, but now we're staying with Unity :)! Thank you.

30. mt4

mt4

31. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

worth every penny!

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The licensing is backwards compatible anyway isn't it? :)

33. xCyborg

xCyborg

You could have doubled the price I don't care, the new features are totally worth it (though I would have cut my d*ck off for GPU PhysX or HAVOCK Destruction ).:rolleyes:

34. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I believe Havok will never ever happen. Their license models are far away from Unity's userbase reality.
    Also they are the kind of company that don't need and do not care about indies.

35. xCyborg

xCyborg

Well then why don't we start with multithreaded physx, GPU physx and then eventually Apex and last but not least GPU PhysX on iOS and Android (witch is very feasible since PhysX SDK 3.2). I believe there won't be any additional cost for UT aside from in-house development. That seems to be the only roadmap for physics.
    Would be wise to accelerate the inevitable. (Sorry for the hijack)

36. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

They now fear releasing roadmaps because of the S***storms they had from users crying about GUI, but Im sure most features from Dx11 will be there before the end of 4. When they dont do it, there is always (in most cases) an open API they provide for someone to be able to do it...

37. mancuso

mancuso

Thank you Unity! Just upgraded to Android Pro, can't wait to play with the pro features! :D

38. GiusCo

GiusCo

Again a terrific move from UT. It shows renewed commitment to their small devs base, which is huge, and restates an active interest in the mobile market. Lowering their iOS/Android basic prices to such levels and informally promising a 2D system to come, would put competitors out of the market. Well done and good luck to all.

39. Xeir

Xeir

No such luck here. Purchased unity pro yesterday for $1500, this morning setup an order for ios android basic, yet no voucher appears in the cart. Am I missing something? Need more coffee, can't think straight yet.

Thanks for any insight.

40. jashan

jashan

This is super-awesome news!!!

I actually would have bought the full upgrade to 4 (Unity Pro, Unity iOS Pro, Unity Android Pro) a few minutes ago at the nice price of EUR 1.365,00 (I have a VAT-ID, so I don't have to add VAT - if you have a business and live in Europe, and you don't have a VAT-ID, you should get one NOW ;-) ).

Unfortunately, the store didn't let me gief you my monies :-(

Seems the issue is that the store doesn't go to 3dsecure. I'll post a bug report on this and edit the case number into this later ... but just as a heads up.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I checked with MasterCard and they did see the transaction and the problem (they ask for "authentication", which is done by showing them my identity card if it was a "real shop", or via 3dsecure in online transactions).

So, anyways, this is awesome and I can't wait to give you my money once that issue is settled (I'll also try again later ;-) ).

41. Lka

Lka

I'll go out drinking tonight, I am expecting a discount voucher email :)

42. Martin-E

Martin-E

Unity Technologies

We have discovered an issue that caused our system to not issue vouchers to those upgrading from a free license to Pro.
    The issue has been corrected, and now we need to identify those who did not receive their voucher, and send it to them.

43. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

I'm told this is intentional. The pro add-on licenses are supposed to be cheaper to outright purchase during the pre-order period.

44. Xeir

Xeir

Ahh-hah! And here I thought someone had spiked my coffee. Grin. Good to hear it was figured out.

Will be awaiting anxiously.

45. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

A very classy move. Thanks guys!

46. PrvtHudson

PrvtHudson

This is great news, sold! As a hobbyist, $600 feels a lot better than $750. Between learning (I am part time) and student editions, it is great to be able to pay for all my pro software. The industry allows me to maintain a hobby using the software I want to use. The extra $150 will easily be gobbled up through Unity-Store and industry-related purchases.

47. nuverian

nuverian

On marketing purpose or not....you got us, it seems. And on purpose or not, I don't think I care as far as the uservoice is heard and I tent to forget when that was the last time besides Unity people. I am prety sure sales raised a bit in those last days and thats the point. Good Job ;-)

48. Toad

Toad

A very classy, and generous, move from the Unity folks. Thanks!

Bring on the Unity 4.0 Beta!! :0)

49. jashan

jashan

After trying a few more times without success, now it finally worked. Awesome!

If anyone wants to look at the issue, I have it filed as: (Case 473155) Bug with Credit Card payments on Store / 3dsecure

50. pabu

pabu

Upgraded Pro + Pro iOS + Pro Android - This invoice is paid in full

I would have upgraded anyway, but the new pricing made me upgrade with joy rather than feeling cornered to do so. The kind of difference in attitude that motivates me to file bug reports when I encounter bugs.

Now hand over that beta so I can start delivering on my promise ;)

Cheers,
    Patrik