Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Posts

Retroformer: now in alpha!

So, you may have been watching over our progress in our prealpha stage over in this thread, but now we're happy to announce that Retroformer is in it's alpha stage of development!

Retroformer is our all new puzzler/platformer, being developed for Mac, PC and web, with planned ports to iOS and Android in the future.

Retroformer features retro style 16x16 graphics and an easy to grasp playstyle, with features being added daily.

Retroformer's main feature is the ability to create totally custom maps using any image editor you have at hand. Simply use our colour reference guide to create your map pixel by pixel, and upload it into Retroformer by URL to play right away! Please note your level file must be a .PNG and has a few requirements, detailed on our website.
    You can find all the play and download links on our website, here (clicky)

Webplayer link (v0.1.0e) here (clicky)

Next 3 planned updates:
    -0.1.1:
    -new editor UI in place
    -systems recode finished

-0.1.2:
    -in game music loops start to be implemented
    -error messages when import fails
    -0 grav areas

-0.1.3:
    -Add more blocks
    -Ice
    -bomb + weak areas to blow through
    -Key counter done

Controls
    Game: Left and right arrows to move the player to left and right. Spacebar to jump, climb and swim up.

Editor:

- Click the Editor button in the Main menu to go to the editor.
    - Set the resolution of the new level by clicking the numbers in the editor. First row is the width, second the height of the level.
    - Click New level to create a new level.
    - Click Import and type an URL to a level image file to import an level to the editor.

- Right click to place a block.
    - Shift + Right click to delete a block.
    - Left click to select a block from the selection menu on the left.
    - ScrollWheel or the vertical bar on the right of the menu to examine the selection menu on the left.
    - Shift + ScrollWheel to scroll through the blocks.
    - Left cllick + Move the cursor to the side of the screen to pan the camera.
    - WASD to pan the camera.
    - Menu-Edit Level_Name_Here to change the name of the level.
    - Menu-Export to export the level.
    - Menu-Main menu to jump to the main menu.
    Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Paradigm-SW; 06-20-2013 at 04:08 AM.

2. Posts
    Update: Updated the webplayer to v0.1.0a following some bugs with loading certain files from DropBox. Will update the standalones later today.

3. Location
    Brazil
    Very cool game man
    I've started to code a 2d platformer yesterday.But damn yours look so coool!!!!!!
    Congratz man

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Daltro View Post
    Very cool game man
    I've started to code a 2d platformer yesterday.But damn yours look so coool!!!!!!
    Congratz man
    Thanks ^^

5. Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Daltro View Post
    Very cool game man
    Congratz man
    Thanks! I am the lead (and only) programmer for Retroformer and we REALLY appreciate your comment .

- David

6. Location
    Wlitshire
    Looks Great, keep it up

7. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattChappUnity View Post
    Looks Great, keep it up
    Thanks, means a lot

8. Posts
    wont let me click anything, both in the webplayer and downloadable version.

The only button that works is the 'Play' button, and it takes me to a menu of levels, but I can't click any of them either. It registers the 'click'
    but nothing happens
    Completely new to game development and Unity? don't know where to start? You don't have to be a n00b, click here and you'll be a pro in no time! The complete scripting series will bring you from zero to hero!

Really guys, get over it. Everyone these days wants a MMO not single player. I know we should start out small but times have changed. Anymore in the game industry no matter how small or large you have to go big or go home!

9. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TehWut View Post

The only button that works is the 'Play' button, and it takes me to a menu of levels, but I can't click any of them either. It registers the 'click'
    but nothing happens
    The menu of levels is currently blocked - they've yet to be implemented. Try pressing 'click to load' and loading an image link.

10. Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia

but nothing happens
    That's because the Options and Editor UI weren't yet implemented, I should remove the Exit button from the WebPlayer version though - noted. The grey color under the levels means they are locked, because we didn't yet create them. As already stated, just click the Click To Load button and paste in a link, or play the default link just by pressing Play.

-David

11. Posts
    Alright, I played it, very fun little game, love the style, so I'll get my points out.

-Not trying to be Mr. Bossy over here, but I think the gameplay mechanics are a little off. The friction is quite a bit low, and the player slides a lot. This is not a bad thing (N+ is one of the greatest platformer ever, definitely not tight controls) but, considering the very grid like nature of the game and the blocky levels, I would appreciate tighter controls and more input-output in my turns and jumps, the player felt a little out of control. This control scheme would fit the 'retro' design well, but then again, I don't want you to have to redesign your whole gameplay mechanic or anything :P

-There is a glitch in the level "Very hard skill jump". at the beginning, if your going fast enough, you can fly through the wall on the left. I
    suspect this is a universal collision glitch w/ the Unity physics and speed, but I'm not sure

- The spikes are unforgivable! Ditch the bounding box! The collision is very large, sliding on wall adjacent to a spike can kill you, making wall jumping a pain in the ass, esp. with the slippery controls. tighten up the collisions, smaller mostly, the only way to jump over / around / through is a perfect jump, very dififcult.

I still think the game is very fun, and the style is spot on, the main character is a blast! Will be playing this more, gotta check out the level editor.
    Completely new to game development and Unity? don't know where to start? You don't have to be a n00b, click here and you'll be a pro in no time! The complete scripting series will bring you from zero to hero!

Really guys, get over it. Everyone these days wants a MMO not single player. I know we should start out small but times have changed. Anymore in the game industry no matter how small or large you have to go big or go home!

12. Posts
    Alright, I played it, very fun little game, love the style, so I'll get my points out.

-Not trying to be Mr. Bossy over here, but I think the gameplay mechanics are a little off. The friction is quite a bit low, and the player slides a lot. This is not a bad thing (N+ is one of the greatest platformer ever, definitely not tight controls) but, considering the very grid like nature of the game and the blocky levels, I would appreciate tighter controls and more input-output in my turns and jumps, the player felt a little out of control. This control scheme would fit the 'retro' design well, but then again, I don't want you to have to redesign your whole gameplay mechanic or anything :P

-There is a glitch in the level "Very hard skill jump". at the beginning, if your going fast enough, you can fly through the wall on the left. I
    suspect this is a universal collision glitch w/ the Unity physics and speed, but I'm not sure

- The spikes are unforgivable! Ditch the bounding box! The collision is very large, sliding on wall adjacent to a spike can kill you, making wall jumping a pain in the ass, esp. with the slippery controls. tighten up the collisions, smaller mostly, the only way to jump over / around / through is a perfect jump, very dififcult.

I still think the game is very fun, and the style is spot on, the main character is a blast! Will be playing this more, gotta check out the level editor.
    Thanks for the feedback! This is all the stuff we want of our players, it helps us make the game more pleasing and accessible.

Tightening up the controls should be easy enough. I've already proposed tightening them to some degree to make way for a new block in a future patch.

We'll address the glitch, we're working on the movement system at the moment to find something that's intuitive, easy to control and works well with the game.

Spikes are unforgivable, yes Perhaps we can tweak them.

Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. I'd point out that the level editor is from v0.0.5 and is very unpolished, though it does work (to an extent, use a standalone build for most features).

Regards
    ~Ben

13. Posts
    We've just updated to v0.1.0b.

In this version we've tightened up the controls, added WASD usage and are working on a more dynamic and neater camera.
    We've got a few more improvements to the camera on the way.

~Ben

14. Posts
    Alright! The new movement system does seem much better.

but unfortunately, I still found some issues, especially with walljumping

- The new speed affects walljumping. Unlike the last version, walljumping was about the same speed as running, now it's so fast you can hardly see him moving.

- camera jitter when walljumping. The camera tends to skip or jerk when walljumping, assuming it has to do with the speed.

- quickly walljumping 3 - 4 times in a row, even on the same wall, will cause the player to stop animating and be unable to jump (only sometimes though)

- on my other computer, https:// links don't load levels, however they work fine here, assumed webplayer glitch (on my part)

Overall though, I love the new feel, the character animations go great with the controls, I really like the new camera perspective also. Please note that I might seem kind of nagging on the bugs, but I actually really do like this game and want to be a part of it's growth and progression

15. Posts
    Alright! The new movement system does seem much better.

but unfortunately, I still found some issues, especially with walljumping

- The new speed affects walljumping. Unlike the last version, walljumping was about the same speed as running, now it's so fast you can hardly see him moving.

- camera jitter when walljumping. The camera tends to skip or jerk when walljumping, assuming it has to do with the speed.

- quickly walljumping 3 - 4 times in a row, even on the same wall, will cause the player to stop animating and be unable to jump (only sometimes though)

- on my other computer, https:// links don't load levels, however they work fine here, assumed webplayer glitch (on my part)

Overall though, I love the new feel, the character animations go great with the controls, I really like the new camera perspective also. Please note that I might seem kind of nagging on the bugs, but I actually really do like this game and want to be a part of it's growth and progression
    Thanks for the feedback. We've only just really out together the new movement and it does need tuning.

It's appreciated, the more the better

16. Posts
    Updated to v0.1.0c.

Finished the dynamic camera and tuned the jump strength.

17. Posts
    Beautiful Update! The movement is so much better now. The camera is also much smoother, gotta play this some more.

one report for now:

- trampoline on pyramid level shot me straight through the roof and through two layers of spikes almost instantly. Perfect timing or trampoline error? ಠ_ಠ

I enjoy the decreased fall speed for the character, easier to control. Jump height is perfect IMHO, but is still a little odd because the pre-made levels were built for an older version of the game with different physics. This is not a problem . Same with the sideways movement speed, I personally think it is improved in the newer ones, but for some reason they don't fit well with the old levels.

edit: Player on level "get ALL the keys!" is nowhere to be found ಠ_ಠ

edit2: the new speed is a bit more hefty than I thought. on the level "Very hard skill" you go through the walls almost every time on the first course, very fast that is.
    Last edited by TehWut; 06-27-2012 at 09:26 AM.

18. Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the default and premade levels were designed for the older version of the controller and they don't quite fit the new scheme. As you mentioned the player somethimes flies trough the walls and I am working on that error. It will require a brand new collision system detection/generating algorithm to work better and we think about limiting the players speed, so he doesn't just launch straight trough a wall. As for the get all the keys level, it's currently impossible to get trough the first row of spikes, and I will have a look at the no player error.

-David

19. Posts
    We've just updated to v0.1.0d, which basically is just bugfixes and small tunes to the movement system.

We're starting work on v0.1.1's feature set now.

20. Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada(Not a fun place)
    I played this when it just started, its so much better now. I love the game, keep doing it!
    Cubey - Timing Based Puzzler
    UDS - Unity Debris System(Fracture/Destruction)

My Very Own Unity Tutorials
    http://youtube.com/Jiddabug21

Twitter: LostKeyGames
    Youtube http://youtube.com/LostKeyGames

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast