Unity Community

1. Posts

Effective August 1, 2012 Autodesk is increasing the price of most products by 5%

"Price and upgrade policy changes are coming.
    Autodesk will moderately increase most software product prices in North America effective August 1, 2012, and also plans to modify its upgrade policies and pricing next year. Take advantage of current pricing and upgrade paths today and move to the current release. If you act before July 13, 2012, you can save up to 20%* off upgrade SRP. Make the move and upgrade now to help protect your software investment, and help maximize your return with the many benefits offered through AutodeskŪ Subscription and AutodeskŪ 360 cloud based services."

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=19221634

It seems even Autodesk is increasing their software. I wonder what's going on - just when global economy is going from bad to worst with Euro crisis deepening.
    Last edited by I am da Bawss; 06-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.

2. Location
    Paris
    As if they weren't already overpriced ...
    Clueless Financial Director is clueless !

(and by overpriced I mean compared to concurrent products)

Quote Originally Posted by I am da Bawss View Post
    It seems even Autodesk is increasing their software. I wonder what's going on - just when global economy is going from bad to worst with Euro crisis deepening.
    Yeah, because customers are not concerned by crisis, am I right ?

3. Location
    random_shuffle(here.end(), there.begin());
    Autodesk's Q1 profits increased by about 14%. They're looking at buying back around 42m shares.

4. Location
    Vienna, Austria
    I just want to add some more ino about coming Autodesk price increases, as this already confused the Autodesk userbase enough....

Quote is from Softimage Mailing list, but numbers are valid for other packages too ( 3ds Max in my case )

Changes to the upgrade model for Autodesk software:
    Basically for those who don't know, Autodesk has pricing models for when someone wants to upgrade an old version of software to the current version, if they haven't been on Subscription (for whatever reason). From February 1st 2013, these models are changing

On February 1st 2013, the upgrade pricing model will change so that upgrades from 1 - 3 versions back will increase from 50% of the new licence SRP to 70% of the new licence SRP.

Upgrades from 4 - 6 versions back will remain at 70% of the new licence SRP.

Upgrades from versions older than 6 releases back will not be upgradeable.

Many customers are actually on subscription already, and this continues to be the most cost effective way to keep your software current.

Subscription price changes:

Autodesk has recently increased the cost of new subscriptions across many product lines - these changes apply to subscription renewals from February 1st 2013.

However, there is an exception for Softimage which wasn't mentioned because at this time it is not confirmed. As previously discussed on this list and other forums the Softimage subscription price has changed within the last year, and is only available as a gold subscription (not wanting to open this debate here). The subscription price for Softimage is not expected to increase further and in many cases might reduce back to a previous price. I do not know exact details, but information on local prices is expected soon. And again, I must state that I'm talking from a Europe/EMEA view. I don't have any information outside of that.

Multi-year subscription discounts to be phased out:

On August 1st 2012, the discounts for multi-year subscription will reduce from 10% to 5% for 3 year contracts and from 5% to 0% for 2 year contracts

On February 1st 2013, the discount for a 3 year renewal will reduce from 5% to 0%
    EditPolyNC (3ds Max2011-2013): Caddyless EPoly recompiles Free DL (The Area)
    PowerPreview (3ds Max): Quality Previews from Nitrous Viewports Free DL (ScriptSpot)

Josef Wienerroither | 3D & Coding Freelance | Tweak Freak
    3ds Max | Unity Pro | Unity iPhone Pro |
    Unity Android Pro | C++ | C# | AS3
    W7 x64 | Quad Xeon X3350 | 8GB | 275GTX | Mac Mini
    Note: my website is a mess

5. Location
    New Hampshire
    Why am I not surprised?

Want an easy way to boot Linux from a USB drives on Mac? Like, you don't need to install or change a thing easy? I thought so. Try Mac Linux USB Loader!
    (And the forum thread)

US President Obama wants to hand over the Internet to a multinational body. Sign the petition to keep the web free!

6. Posts
    If that isnt clear sign of monopoly then i dont know what is:P Corporation with highest priced software increasing price of their software...while they know that no matter what they do they wont lose much costumers, becouse competition....well with some exceptions that you can count on fingers of one hand....sucks.

7. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenBits View Post
    Why am I not surprised?
    Probably because Autodesk is a business and wants to earn money.
    Please use [code][/code] tags when posting code. Otherwise rapid eye bleeding can occur.

8. Location
    Leeds, UK
    Glad I went 100% modo recently :P

9. Posts
    Yow. If Lightwave could get their act together and finally turn out a solid product again, they might capture some marketshare here. Sadly, I wont holg my breath. Newtek is great at missing opportunities.

10. Location
    Paris
    Glad I chosed Cinema 4D a long time ago

11. Location
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by blurededge View Post
    Yow. If Lightwave could get their act together and finally turn out a solid product again, they might capture some marketshare here. Sadly, I wont holg my breath. Newtek is great at missing opportunities.
    If you're a lightwave guy - give modo a shot. Newer technology, very fair price, shaping up to be feature complete and also developed by quite a few of the guys behind lightwave before they went to make Luxology (according to Wikipedia).

So if you haven't done so already try it - it works pretty well except from the ocasional crash. Their customer service is very helpful and friendly, though. Also they have a really cool license model - you buy it and it's your's not your computer's license

12. Location
    Land of Sushi and Geisha
    I can just pity the people who have to use Autodesk suites.

13. Location
    Germany
    I think it's pretty irrelevant who uses what and how as long as they get by with their financial plans and income.
    I can see how a lot of people would want to use Maya or Max to be able to transfer projects and native file formats or to work in existing pipelines. I can also understand how some people are completely satisfied with another product that does what they need it for. Most major programs are pretty much on par with features. Each with their own unique advantages and disadvantages. Still - what works for one does not necessarily work for another. That's why there's variety and why it's good to also have these options.

Ir you're efficient with an expensive product that still justifies the price over the time you're using it then it's worth spending the money. As soon as it doesn't add up any more ... time to move on.

14. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Glad i chose Wings 3D a long time ago
    Maybe you can help me work out how to smooth my planetary gravity!

Quote Originally Posted by hippocoder View Post
    Calm down, you're posting all kinds of nonsense that makes no sense. I suggest you post less, and follow http://unity3d.com/learn tutorials.

15. Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Just wait a bit longer and they'll probably end up with something like Adobes Creative Cloud where you pay monthly to use any of their apps. They do have something called Autodesk 360 and in time we'll probably start to see 3D Max, Maya, etc be on there as well.

16. Location
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfarer View Post
    Glad I went 100% modo recently :P
    Hear, hear!

It really pained me to let my Softimage 2011 subscription go but, I've been Autodesk free for almost 2-years now and I'm feeling GREAT!

-Will
    "With THIS!, you could be like GOD!" - Kozer, Blake's 7

Windows 7 (64-bit): 24Gigs / Hex Core 4.0GHz (OC) / Dual NVidia GTX 460 1Gig
    WinVista SP1 (32-bit) 4G / Dual Core / NVidia 86xx 256M (Dell XPS 1530 Laptop)

17. Posts
    Autodesk - next stop - irrelevent land.
    I predict Autodesk will start laying off by 2014 (a year after they announce these changes). With on going economic crisis, their strategy will not work, and only drives users to other options and platform.

18. Location
    London, UK
    August 2nd.... sudden increase in Autodesk software piracy. Seriously their software is already to expensive

19. Location
    random_shuffle(here.end(), there.begin());
    Quote Originally Posted by I am da Bawss View Post
    Autodesk - next stop - irrelevent land.
    I predict Autodesk will start laying off by 2014 (a year after they announce these changes). With on going economic crisis, their strategy will not work, and only drives users to other options and platform.
    Yes, given how well they've been doing recently - it makes perfect sense that they'll go under. /cough

20. Posts
    Sadly I have to agree with ZeroByteDNA here. There really isn't any serious competition to Autodesk in the high end 3d arena at this point. The serious players in the field aren't going to migrate to lesser tools; and there's just no two ways about it, Modo, Lightwave and others are exactly that, lesser tools. Autodesk is all but a high end 3d monopoly at this point. They got there the old fashioned way, by buying their competition. Now they're starting to flex their muscles.