Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4: APEX really with GPU support?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by thesaint1987, Jun 22, 2012.

1. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

Hi there,

I stumbled upon this interesting post: http://physxinfo.com/news/8065/post...-is-going-to-be-integrated-into-unity-engine/

So I presume that with APEX, Unity PhysX will also go GPU (because otherwise it wouldn't work anyway, APEX is just too resource hungry)...

Any timeframe for this release?, because it is really crucial for the development of my game. I already have APEX emulated to some degree, but without GPU acceleration the limits of what you can do are too restrictive. So it would be nice to hear something like "in 2012"... Actually in 2012 would be awesome. Or is this too optimistic?!

DISCLAIMER: Not any answers of Unity employees regarding this request are promises or committments :cool:

Thanks!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity forums learn fast don't they with disclaimers :D

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We've tried doing APEX integration for a little demo we were trying to make... I really can't promise when (or if ever!) APEX will be integrated. If you want to base something on assumptions, then safest would be to assume it will not be integrated ;)

BTW, our experiment was not using APEX GPU acceleration, so linking APEX to "GPU PhysX" does not come into play either.

THE POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
    OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
    ARAS OR UNITY BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
    AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
    CONNECTION WITH THE POST OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE POST.
    ;)

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity in general does not use nor support PhysX gpu acceleration. Its purely cpu and at least at the time purely single threaded (aside of cloth simulation but thats a whole can of worms on its own)

5. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

Thanks Aras, this helps a lot. And please spread the new that Unity should still inform us about their plans, put a disclaimer after every sentence if necessary, but it is really crucial to know where Unity is going, so that we don't waste time on implementing stuff that will come soon in the next release.

So I guess my effort was not wasted ;), since this kind of implementation isn't really going to help me :)

BTW: Any reason why no "optional" GPU acceleration for say PCs?! I means its kinda the future. So like a button "Yes, I want to break compatibility, please enable GPU acceleration"...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

We've fixed a S***ton (that's a scientific term) of bugs in PhysX CPU code that aren't fixed in the GPU code. I think that's the main reason.

7. vladk

vladk

I was wondering how the guy on the video did that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD1OO65EuSA ?
    I mean it's Unity and the destruction clearly made by the PhysX, so it's possible

8. vladk

vladk

Come on, Aras! :) The guy did it somehow - any clue of how? I mean I tried to contact him but he didn't answer :(

9. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

What's with that video? This is trivial PhysX CPU in action. Nothing special really... Anyone can do that with Unity if he wants to. APEX stands for a whole new dimension of destruction, if somebody does that with Unity and one core CPU PhysX, then you can start ask questions...

10. vladk

vladk

wowowoww, wait, wait! How?

11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I loled when I saw the disclaimer. ;)
    But APEX would be awesome.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  12. Morning

Morning

Fracture it in some 3rd party app or write a fracturer in unity, then destroy pieces that the raycast hits. There doesn't even seem to be any movement, hence why there's steel bars inside the mesh.

13. vladk

vladk

wow, wait a minute. But that doesn't involve the PhysX destruction at all - I mean that can be don't without it at all, but on the video I mentioned the guy made it with Nvidia's PhysX destruction, or have misunderstood something?