Search Unity

Dinosaur pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by janpec, Jun 21, 2012.

1. janpec

janpec

Package has now been released on Asset store:
    http://u3d.as/content/janpec/dinosaur-pack-1-0/3kN

Price is 30$ .

*Just want to clarify there is Pteranodon included in screenshot section of pack on Asset store, dont know why it got there since i canceled it, but to clarify Pteranodon will be included in next update of pack later in October.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. aubergine

aubergine

Nice pack, i needed such a thing. May i ask if the source files are also included? I mean as a 3dmax or blender file with the rigging and everything else?

3. janpec

janpec

Sorry no source files are not included. If you would need them for your own animations i would suggest you to make your own riggs and animations and import fbx meshes only, the reason for that is becouse there were two outsourcing animators also animating them, and there is just crossing of three different rigging and bone systems on them (3ds max CAT, and two Maya bone systems which i am not aware of), you could still try to modify animations on them if it works with your software.

4. 3dFoin

3dFoin

the new ones are so great :D love the Triceratops XD

5. aubergine

aubergine

I cant spend alot of time to re-rig it myself im only one man team here, thats why i pay for it :p
    Can you atleast give me the 3d max files for whatever is available? If yes, i will buy right now.

6. janpec

janpec

@3dFoin Thanks:D

@aubergine Sadly there is only 1 dinosaur that i could provide you in 3ds max file which was done by me, the rest are all Maya files. All feature dinosaurs will be in 3ds max format, but i cant change for current ones becouse they were done by outsourcing animators who used Maya to animate and Maya riggs neither animations are compatible with 3ds max, unless exported as fbx file.

7. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Dino pack purchased :) My kids love dinos, especially when daddy makes a dino game for them...

8. Edaphosaurus

Edaphosaurus

So if I buy the pack will all new dinosaurs be updated, or will I have to buy a second pack?
    Great value for money by the way, I've seen small bugs for 50$ on that store before!

9. janpec

janpec

@helioxfilm Thank you for purchase :D

@Edaphosaurus All future updates will be free as it is normal for Asset store. And thanks for purchase to you too:D

Any requests on desired dinosaur species are still wellcome, for now there are two on priority list, but more are wellcome as suggestions for future update.

10. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Well, as I was just playing around with the set, one item was very missing (for me): a dinosaur egg... Could you add some eggs to the set? Full and sane egg, hatched egg, cracked egg? Or maybe an animated egg, as just cracking or hatching.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  11. janpec

janpec

Helioxfilm i was just thinking of adding those yesterday, i will try to do my best and squeeze them into 1.1 update.

12. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Great! Excellent customer care, must I say... :)

13. janpec

janpec

Just wanted to let anyone know that Helioxfilm has reported problem with apatosaurus prefab, in case if you are experiencing the problem too, just drag brontosaurus model onto prefab again and it should fix the problem. (brontosaurus and apatosaurus are the same dinosaur)

14. Yippie

Yippie

do you have some animation review videos? The models are so great, I wanna see how they moving :)

15. janpec

janpec

Yippie i will try to get something up in few days.

16. MidwayExpress

MidwayExpress

Purchased the pack a couple days ago and it's great! I could really use some vegetation from the Jurassic period as well. I do have two questions:

How would you add collision boxes to the attack animations like the stegosaur tail attack?

How would you recommend setting up Wasd controls for realistic animal movement with a rigidbody? Right now I'm using addforce on vertical and addtorque on horizontal. The problem is the dino looks a bit like he is ice skating on turns.

17. janpec

janpec

MidwayExpress adding collisions is very simple, all you have to do is attach Unity primitive colliders on bones of model. Just expand models hierarchy to access desired bone and attach collider on it.

As for movement i cant really tell any good advice on this becouse i dont have lot experiance with controlers. One thing that would solve is using animations for moving in left or right, however you would have to add those on your own. The best solution would be realtime IK or physics system, physics system could be added with Ragdoll system, somehow adding it on animations in runtime, the other solution with realtime IK is Mechanim, but you would need some your own solution or at least wait if Mechanim gets updated for non standart human characters becouse at the momment they only support humanoids.

And thanks for purchase:D

18. MidwayExpress

MidwayExpress

I asked about my issue in another thread. It sounds like I need some turn animations for the Dinos.

19. Edaphosaurus

Edaphosaurus

Is the update coming soon?

20. sybil

sybil

I like the models very much, but really want to see the animation videos before buy it, please.

21. Edaphosaurus

Edaphosaurus

22. john-essy

john-essy

Nice Work Janpec, Been waiting for this for ages, Are there any animation videos before i buy :D

23. MidwayExpress

MidwayExpress

Any updates on adding the flying dinos?

24. rifter

rifter

idem here, very interested by animation videos...
    and i don't see how we can do without turn animations...

25. janpec

janpec

@rifter Turn animations will have to be done by developer himself since they are not provided in pack.

Updates have been slowed down becouse i have started trading in currency market two months ago, which gives me little free time, but in any case i am starting working on new updates soon with more dinos and prehistoric animals coming up.

26. janpec

janpec

Indricoterium, prehistoric animal. Just wanted to show that there is some progress on updates for pack. Probably there are going to be more prehistoric mammals added.

Macrauchenia.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  27. rifter

rifter

Could some kind soul upload some video of that pack ?

28. guillaume_unity

guillaume_unity

Hey Janpec, I bought your package but I am having an issue. When i import your prefabs into my game the local pivot seem to be all messed up which make them pretty much impossible to make them face the right direction using the RAIN{indie} behavior tree. Look at target will align the X axis toward the target but your prefabs meshes are all aligned along Z axis. Unless i did something wrong but all i did was import your packages from the asset store and drag and drop them into my scene.

please not i don't have any 3d modeller program but blender.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  29. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Thanks for replying, will be purchasing this shortly! Much better than what i could've made! ^_^

30. 3dFoin

3dFoin

The new ones look so good, great job Janpec :D

31. eajones

eajones

Bought the pack, very nice!

I was trying to shrink these down--and not use C# (not a programmer, this is my new hobby). I found using some other pack "Cartoon Monsters" that there are additional means to shrink things down: "Meshes: scale factor" which easily let me change it from .03 down to 0.01, and voila, it was smaller.

Again, new at this, but how do I shrink the models down without having to use script? Is there a way for me to add that as a script to the model?

Thank you!

32. janpec

janpec

Simple scaling function of Unity should do the trick and reasigning dinos to new prefab.

33. richardzzzarnold

richardzzzarnold

These dinos are quite good, but could i draw your attention to some sloppy errors?
    -The Parasaurolophus idle animation does not loop correctly.
    -The Velociraptor skin is not mapped correctly, the sides do not match up.
    -Apatosaurus is not functional (twisted n half upon import)
    -Triceratops is about x100 smaller than everything else, which can lead to some odd physics between dinos.

I hope you can fix these errors to an otherwise excellent pack.

Thanks

MMOERPG likes this.
  34. Liquidsulphur

Liquidsulphur

Hi Janpec,

Curious when Version 1.1 will be out?

Thanks

35. ZeoWorks

ZeoWorks

I was hoping for an animation video preview. :D

36. CIA

CIA

I have a stupid question. I'm new here. The models that you showed looked abit too "toyish" or fakish. No offense. But, when you render or edit or something, does it look like something from Jurassic Park? Thanks

37. monsieur_alpha123121

monsieur_alpha123121

I think you been playing to much high listed AAA graphic games also it will look better in game.

38. CodingCake

CodingCake

How about this pack in Mobile ?
    support LOD?
    and how many animation included ?

39. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I know it's an older thread, but I'm interested in buying these. So are the LODs in the package available right now on the Asset Store? Also a link to a video to preview the animations? I need the LODs for mobile.

40. librosar

librosar

Hi i bought your dinosaur pack, but that pck dont have pteranodon, can you sell me?

41. MMOERPG

MMOERPG

@janpec Hi! i recently purchased your dinosaur pack. Its a great pack for the price.

I'm experiencing a couple issues. First the Brontosaurus prefab was all twisted when an animation was applied. I read through this thread and learned how to fix this so did by remaking the prefab with the original. All is good there.

Another issue is that the Brontosaurus is 1/10 the size it should be and the Triceratops is 1/100 the size it should be.

Another issue is that the Brontosaurus, the Triceratops, and the Parasaurolophus all have there default forward set as the -Z axis which causes them to turn 180 degrees in the opposite direction from their actual front when using Quaternion.LookRotation. (They chase and attack me with their rears).

Did you finish and upload the update you were speaking of in this thread with possibly these bug fixes, the flying dinosaur, and those two prehistoric animals shown above? I don't see the option to update on unity's asset store. I downloaded and am using version v1.01.

42. ContinentalDrift

ContinentalDrift