Search Unity

NavMeshAgent steering and collisions

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SkaredCreations, Jun 21, 2012.

1. SkaredCreations

SkaredCreations

Hi AI folks,

I have two questions:

1. is there a way to completely disable or at list mitigate very much the "rubber banding" behavior of a NavMeshAgent when steering? I have a NavMeshAgent on my player GameObject (it's point&click to move) with speed 8.0, acceleration 12.0, Angular Speed 400; what happens is that when the agent has so high speed value and needs to steer, it behaves like a rubber band overcoming the steering target and then going back on the path that is so ugly to see.

2. is it possible to completely disable collisions with other NavMeshAgents? I don't want for this game the agents to collide each other

PS: if the answer especially to the first question is "NO", please could you suggest a very good (and not high-price) tool for pathfind on AssetStore (or out of it as UnityPackage)

PS2: yes I have really no time to think and create an A* algorithm or such by myself at this very moment because I'm really near the release date of a game so I have literally no time at all.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Jakob_Unity

Jakob_Unity

1. Crank up the acceleration - if your agent is moving around in narrow corridors at 8m/s - i think you need higher acceleration to prevent overshooting sharp turns.

2. Set the ObstacleAvoidanceType on NavMeshAgent to "None"

Cheers..
    /Jakob

p87 likes this.
  3. SkaredCreations

SkaredCreations

Aha! I'm sorry I missed to try higher acceleration, it works great!

Thanks bud!