Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stereoskopix FOV2GO V2: Stereo 3D VR for FREE! [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by phoberman, Jun 20, 2012.

1. phoberman

phoberman

Version 3 Now Available! Link to new thread

NEW - VERSION 2!! Completely updated, tons of new features, full documentation!
    Create and play Unity games in full immersive stereoscopic 3D!

Stereoskopix FOV2GO for Unity supports nearly any kind of stereo 3D display system on desktop, web and mobile.

* Side-by-side for FOV2GO viewers (and 3D TVs) **
    * Anaglyph (red/blue) additional formats ***
    * Full interactive control of all stereo 3D parameters
    * Full documentation with example scenes, tutorials, prefabs
    * Includes updated iOS and Android gyroscope script for portable Virtual Reality on mobile devices
    * Flexible virtual touchpad system 3D cursor for user input interaction on mobile devices
    * Includes templates and instructions for making your own FOV2GO viewer for your iOS or Android phone or tablet

FOV2GO is a hardware and software kit for the creation of immersive virtual reality experiences using smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. It’s an emerging platform for dirt-cheap, world-class virtual reality. The smart phone in your pocket (and the tablet in your backpack) has everything it needs to become a low cost, state-of-the-art virtual reality device. All the components for creating fully immersive virtual worlds have suddenly become ubiquitous and cheap. The only thing lacking is a kit that puts all the pieces together - so we built one. We want to see virtual reality finally develop to its true potential as an artistic medium - and so we're making these tools available to artists and designers everywhere. The MxR Lab at USC is making everything you need to get started freely available: plans, instructions, links software.

Stereoskopix FOV2GO for Unity: now available for FREE on the Unity Asset Store!

** For FOV2GO information, links downloads, visit http://diy.mxrlab.com
    *** Unity iOS and/or Unity Android required for mobile platforms. Unity Pro required for formats other than side-by-side.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. phoberman

phoberman

just uploaded 2.0.3 update - new scripts for automatic device selection on android ios, new viewer templates, bug fixes, updated docs.

3. phoberman

phoberman

2.0.4 update - added settings for Hasbro my3D viewer.

4. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

i will try it once in my android device and let you know the results

5. phoberman

phoberman

2.0.5 update live - new templates for Holga 3D viewers, new 3D camera prefabs, updated docs.

6. cynel

cynel

is possible to make the 3D optional to turn on and off by the player

7. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

would be cool if this had a horizontal interlaced option (for Zalman 3d displays / LG passive polarized 3d displays)

8. Smajky

Smajky

Hi,

Fantastic plug in. Forward and Vertex Lit are ok, but Deferred Lighting is not working :( . Workaround ???

thz
    Nikola

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  9. phoberman

phoberman

@yuriythebest:

Actually there is an option for interlaced displays, it just didn't make it into the documentation - just load one of the anaglyph sample scenes, select the camera, and (in the inspector for S3d Camera) change Stereo Format in the inspector to Interlace - set Rows to the desired number, click the Update button and you're good to go. (Currently, it may not be all that practical, because in fact the number of rows should always be = to Screen.height should update when the screen size changes. Will fix in next update).

@cynel:

Easiest way to do that is to write a script that toggles Interaxial to 0. Or have it set Camera Order to Left_Only or Right_Only.

@Smajky:

You're right, if you change the Player Settings rendering path to "Deferred Lighting" it breaks the 3D camera. However, if you leave the Player Settings rendering path set to "Forward", and instead change the setting on each individual camera from "Use Player Settings" to "Deferred Lighting", the 3D effect works perfectly (along with cast shadows, etc). So maybe this could be a possible workaround. Not sure why one method works and the other doesn't (they should come out exactly the same), but in any case it's probably something about to the shader and render textures being used for anaglyph mode. I'll see if I can figure out a way to fix it. Meanwhile, hopefully you can use this workaround.

best, pH

10. Smajky

Smajky

Thank you very much, I will get back with some results.

Nikola

11. cynel

cynel

well in new to unity so i dont know anything about scripting

12. Smajky

Smajky

This is Vertex Lit, I am doing heavy post process with lots of supporting lights so I need Deffered :)

13. cynel

cynel

deffered?

14. matteoromagnoli

matteoromagnoli

Hi all,
    I'm new to FOV2GO. I've just dowloaded the package and having a look on it.
    I have a really practical question: on the asset store description I read that this package is compatible with 3DTVs, but a brief look at the examples doesn't give me any clue on this possibility. It seems to me that it always needs the "hardware part". Hope I'm wrong.
    I would need to go out on a normal passive 3D TV (like the LG DM2780D-PZ for example).

Can you redirect me to some documentation/contact to understand how I can use this package in order to go out on a 3D TV?
    Thanks!!

15. matteoromagnoli

matteoromagnoli

Please don't consider my previous post, I found the documentation, but I still don't understand wich Stereo Format I have to choose in order to use passive 3D TV like the one I wrote on my previous post.

16. cynel

cynel

its either side by side or over and under

17. unityasoft

unityasoft

Ok this is obviously going to be a big thing if you get enough developers to support games especially made for it. You have at least a $500 vouch from me at any time, not much but thats how much I'd pay for a license and etc when it becomes properly established. With that said I'd pay a lot more just to support it.

Amaazing work

18. cynel

cynel

can this be unity 4.0 open beta compatible

19. rahuxx

rahuxx

will this work on 3d tablets?:D

20. RaphTime

RaphTime

It doesn't suitable for publishing on a large display device, for example, some application of high quality and performance applications. Otherwise, Play Station or other hosts would be nothing.

However, stereo 3D is the direction of the future, you are leading the course for us. Thanks, brother.

Lu Man Man Qi Xiu Yuan , Wu Jiang Shang Xia Er Qiu Suo.

21. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,

Is it possible to manage eye separation depending on distance of any object(camera target) from camera. Mans i have object at x distance from camera and depending on that I have y separation between left and right camera. Now if i change object distance (x+ or x-), depending on this I want to change eye separation y of left and right camera. I want it to be done automatically
    Can your script be modified for this? Can you do this? something like this https://vimeo.com/53836105

22. phoberman

phoberman

devang_xprt:

Should be possible. Hopefully next version will include this capability. Stay tuned.

23. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Thanks for reply, i am waiting.......your next version....

24. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

This is cross eye or just parallax stereo?

25. phoberman

phoberman

Making progress, should have new version up within a week. (Will probably go from free to cheap, since that whole donationware thing isn't working out).

New scripts:
    s3dDepthInfo.js: calculates total depth range in scene.
    s3dAutoDepth.js: automatically adjusts parallax based on scene content
    s3dClickDepth.js: converges on mouse clicks

Will also have a bunch of new examples (3D TV, free-viewing cross-eyed and parallel).

Option to see a visible representation of the screen plane:

Matrix of raycasts to sample depth in scene:

26. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

if u want any beta tester, I would love to do that,my company have 3 years experience in stereo animation.

27. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi

This is nice stereo camera scrips. But it can work with 2 or 3 camera. Because in post-process, i can use many camera.So it can work with it.and any beta scrips available for test.

play_edu

28. phoberman

phoberman

New version is live on the asset store!

Started a new thread here.

29. indygamer

indygamer

Professor Hoberman, Thanks for sharing the updates. I have been following your interesting work on Stereoscopix FOV2GO and the more commercial projects like Oculus3d coming out of USC. Looking at the way things are progressing and have progressed, I wish you would consider the larger communities of Cocos2D (and the nascent Cocos3D) for mass ingraining your plugin into 3D gaming and VR apps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldxPiGMFLA is a 2yr old example of the MIT licensed Cocos3D framework. VR is the future and will make their way into these frameworks sooner rather than later, I would wish your plugin to be widely adopted and developed aggressively irrespective of walled gardens.

Wish you and your projects prosperity.

30. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi

it can work with multi camera.

play_edu

31. jumpjack

jumpjack

I'm a coder and I'm studying this possibility since I owned an old Series60 nokia smarthphone...
    It would be really cool if a program like yours could enable playing not just phone apps, but also PC applications in immersive 3d!
    The program should send to the PC "commands" which changes view, for example, in a flight simulator; then it should just receive the 3d output of the flight simulator...

http://www.planesimulation.com/articles/fsx_3d.htm
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?210721-Flight-Simulator-X-(and-9)-in-3D-WOW!!!

Can FOV2GO do this?

Additionally, tunable color levels would be useful, as not all TV sets have same color capabilities.

32. krillmcrawl0

krillmcrawl0

The package works fine, I get good results! I'm not sure about support. I have e-mailed to fov2go@ict.usc.edu a couple of times without answer. Maybe someone in this thread knows the answers :)

1. I need to know how to todo multi-rigging since I have multiple cameras in my scene. The documentation mention that this is supported but undocumented, have anyone got this to work properly?

2. I need to add image effects to my scenes, what is the smartest way to do that? Ideally I would like to add image effects at one place and tweak them and then at runtime these effect is copied to both stereo cameras.

Thanks,

Kristian