Search Unity

Critical bugs in 3.5 that people are worried won't get fixed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by superpig, Jun 19, 2012.

1. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

A number of people have expressed concern that the announcement of 4.0 means that they won't see bugfixes for critical issues in 3.5 without paying for an upgrade.

UT have said that they'll still fix critical issues, but I'm still left wondering: what critical, ship-stopping, Titanic-sinking, business-imploding issues are these, exactly? I mean, I'm still on 3.4.2. There are bugs, absolutely, but I've found workarounds for them. I guess I've not shipped yet so there's still time for me to run into something fatal, but I really doubt that the engine has much left to surprise me at this point. What have I dodged that you guys haven't?

So, in this thread, let's collect the bugs that people are worried about. Let's give UT concrete examples of the things that they risk overlooking by jumping to 4.0. Or, alternatively, let's illustrate that actually there isn't a whole lot that's really critical.

Just two rules:

Every bug must be in the form of a case number.

If you're concerned about some bug that won't get fixed in the 3.x line, but you don't have a case number for it, go and file the bug first before posting about it here (via Unity's Help->Report a Bug menu item). Fogbugz links are nice, but bear in mind that you may have attached files or info that you don't want to give out on a public forum. Whether you post a Fogbugz link or not, a short description of the bug to go with the case number would be appreciated.

Shipstoppers only.

If there's a straightforward workaround, it doesn't belong in this thread. It can be hard to judge this, but basically, if you cite some simple little bug as a shipstopper, and it's really easy to work around, then everybody is going to think you are a pansy. I, as the Grand Rulemaker, will think you are a double-pansy, and will pour scorn upon you. You don't want that. So choose wisely.

[Edit: If disclosing the exact nature of a bug would be a privacy issue for you, you don't need to fully do so here - just make sure you've included full details in your private report to UT, and then post the case number here, with a note that you've reported the details privately. UT staff can then check the report when deciding whether you comply with this rule or not.]

The forum moderators, if they would be so kind, will oblige me by deleting reports that don't follow these rules. Together, let's build a shopping-list of true pain and misery, so that UT may understand our suffering. And lo, they shall bring forth the holy band-aids.

So. Have at it!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Trisibo

Trisibo

Just critical bugs? I also would like to see fixed those which have a workaround but are f***ing annoying, and get on your way making you loose so much time. Recently I had to create some kind of effect, and had to try like 4 or 5 different techniques due to bugs/limitations in the engine. But OK, those are mine:

448995: "When using a directional light with soft shadows in deferred rendering, the depth normals texture from the camera ("_CameraDepthNormalsTexture" in a shader) doesn't have the correct expected image."

446790 448268: Important image problem with some graphic cards when using shader replacement in deferred rendering path and the engine needs to obtain a depth texture. (Aras here: replied to both of those, resolution "by design")

446830: "In linear color space, the renders in forward rendering path looks brighter than in vertex-lit and deferred modes. In gamma color space the three look mostly the same." (May not seem a "shipstopper" bug, but, what if I finish a project and then I want to change the camera rendering path? I'd need to change all and every light parameters, and possibly more stuff, so everything looked the same as before).

There're a pair more I had to file, but didn't yet, because I just didn't want to spend the working time filling bugs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  3. Tseng

Tseng

Well, I had some issues with collisions/triggers.

Basically I had a simple scene of a top-down shooter and the player controls a small aircraft shooting at other enemies and buildings. But we noticed some quite strange behaviour and several projectiles would just go through the building and never trigger the OnCollision-/OnTriggerEnter events.

The projectiles aren't too fast, they take several frames to "fly through" the building in questions (usually 3 or 4 frames) and it seems to happen randomly. Neither enabling continues collision detection (with interpolate/extrapolate) nor messing up with the physic iterator solving count solved it.

I've submitted the prototype project to Unity3D a few days ago, after I was unable to find a solution after several weeks of searching and trying all kind of different things.

98% of all projectile triggers will trigger correctly, ~2% will be ignored and fly through.

Case: 470221

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Case : 465068

Drawing too many gizmos creates weird glitches in the editor, it looks as if the triangle indices for the gizmo mesh has been screwed up.
    This is apparent in A* pathfinding and SimplePath libraries, and can be easily reproduced.

Code (csharp):
    1. public int numCubes = 50*50;
    3. public void OnDrawGizmos () {
    4.     Gizmos.color = Color.red;
    5.     for (int i=0;i < numCubes;i++) {
    6.         //Just position the cube at some random point
    7.         Gizmos.DrawCube (new Vector3(i,i/100,i%10),Vector3.one);
    8.     }
    9. }

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

I have this exact same problem. It really needs to be fixed, to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  6. superpig

superpig

Yeah, but those start getting a lot more subjective. Let's keep it simple for now, to help ensure that Unity's attention is drawn to the top priority bugs first.

Once they fix them all in 3.5.3 then we can start pestering them for the workflow killers. :)

7. Arowx

Arowx

OK Admiral Akbar has said that this is the place to raise issues we would like to see addressed in Unity 3.x I have raised a report via the bug tool in unity as per his instructions.

Case 471970

Requests:
    Improvement optimisations to the GUI system to increase very low FPS on mobile platforms.
    The inclusion of a dynamic path-finding element to the Navmesh to allow for more dynamic AI behaviour.
    Improved Navmesh agent avoidance to prevent bottlenecking.
    Shuriken particle culling to prevent frame-rate drops.
    Memory handling problems resolved to reduce crashes and garbage collection slowdowns.
    Geometry data enhancements to reduce memory footprint and improve performance.

8. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss

This is absolutely a showstopper... unity crashes so much that I can't work on my game until it's fixed, so I've been on an imposed vacation for about a week now. It crashes in the editor and player. The bug report has a confirmed repro attached.

This is confirmed broken in 3.5.2 and 4.0r2.

9. nbalexis1

nbalexis1

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/116479-Disappointed-with-performance?p=922137&viewfull=1#post922137

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/116479-Disappointed-with-performance?p=922139&viewfull=1#post922139
    OK, this one is not shipstopper

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?465089_p9tblobha0176ol6

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?462731_43f4kam3egj9lj6s
    There is a work around. I will try that, but I will include this one until the memory usage is back to normal(I'm not expecting it as same as 3.4, but I hope it will not crash when playing the game for more than 1 hour or longer).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  10. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

I have cleaned up the thread as it would really help us to see what you guys feel needs fixing.

@ArrowX - You seem to feel like you're not being heard, but I have read your request for features at least 6 times on the forums, and you have submitted a Feature Request. You messaged me asking to unlock a thread you started, which had been locked as we want to keep the thread about these issues to a minimum. Not because we are not interested in you guys and your opinions, we just want to be able to understand what the general mood is about all of this. You said your new thread was for features and bugs on 3.x to justify it being reopened. I pointed out we have a 3.6 thread running which you started, where the future of 3.x is being discussed. I let you know that we had this thread running handling bugs, which means that what you wanted to achieve with your new thread was already being covered. That suggests that the thread I locked would not add anything we haven't already got covered.

You have now posted your request in 4 threads, and multiple times in one thread, I have counted it 6 times. I am not going to delete it from this thread, to demonstrate that we are interested in your opinion. This has to be the last time you post that same request though, I don't think we are being unreasonable requesting that.

@Superpig - Sorry to digress from your thread, I just want it to be clear why we are taking the actions we are.

11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Here is my bug report (and a feature request as requested from the Unity dev I spoke to)

Case number 472213

I am running a cloth simulation on a character model and what I am noticing is that, upon closer inspection the fixed parts of the cloth that is supposed to be anchored, moves away from the anchor, especially with animations that have a highj velocity like a jump or a walk cycle. On the options, I turned off the two way interaction and the cloth still moves away from the anchor.

To reproduce this problem, create an interactive cloth with anchor and play some animation like a walk or a jump animation...and on close inspection you will see the cloth move away from the colliders.

And I think to fix this, I would allow skinned cloth to accept collisions, since it stays perfectly in place where it should be fixed during an animation (I played this and it worked perfectly). For a feature request, I would modify the skinned cloth to behave like the interactive cloth... no anchor, just vertices that you can pick and tune like in XSI or Maya, and also a painting tool to blend where the skinned and cloth areas are..

EDIT: I got an email back from UT, and added a package to my bug report... I am surprised THIS has gone by unnoticed.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  12. superpig

superpig

Any more for any more?

13. Trisibo

Trisibo

Yeah, please, wait Superpig and devs! I've got a pair more, one of them filed time ago, and other I was going to file yesterday, but couldn't since the bug tool couldn't deliver it. I want to check a pair of things for the latter, just in case it could help, though I haven't got time right now.

I discovered a pair more time ago, but just can't remember what or how important they were, I haven't touched Unity for some time.

I've got to apologize for the case 448995 in my first post; as Aras showed me, that was my fault (and a rather silly one indeed).

14. superpig

superpig

No worries. I don't think there's any solid time limit on this (sooner the better, obviously), I just wanted to bring the thread back to the first page ;)

15. Trisibo

Trisibo

I lied, just one more, albeit a difficult one, I guess:

472681:
    "When modifying the projection matrix of a camera in deferred lighting mode, the lighting and shadows are incorrectly calculated. I guess Unity uses the depth-buffer to calculate them in deferred lighting mode, but since the projection matrix is altered, so are the depth values, and that may be what causes the problem.

That may also be the problem with shadows and water in deferred lighting (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/62083-refracted-water-shadow-artifacts).
    "