Search Unity

Unity Cutscene Creator / Camera Path - uSequencer [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WellFiredDevelopment, Jun 19, 2012.

1. cynel

cynel

wow i have a good idea what to do first the animation in blender then edit the animation in the cut-scene with uSequencer

2. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Cynel,

This decision is completely up to you, and depends on what you are most comfortable with. If you're most comfortable with animations in blender, I'd recommend doing your animations in blender and then bringing everything together and synchronising them as events in uSequencer. You will, however want to animate anything with uSequencer that you need to 'see in the game world' and tweak on the fly. Such as camera paths and head look at's.

Good Luck!
    Well Fired.

3. 3

It's just unfortunate its so expensive to someone with a budgit for Unity Pro, and a few extra assets... If you made a light version of this I would buy it though!

4. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello, there is a completely free version available for everyone to use!

You can download it : here. Free of charge, it is fully featured, however has a small watermark. You're free to use this free version with no restrictions.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

uSequencer also works fully with the Unity Free Version.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

6. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone,

uSequencer V1.18 is upon us, and has been submitted to the asset store. You can also, as usual, pick up the free version right now over at the official uSequencer Website.

1.18 Brings a focus on optimisation and usability, with some new events thrown in for good measure.

New Features in 1.18:
    Optimisations for Mobile.
    Optimisations for Editor.
    Added a Display Image Event with Anchor and Position Options.
    Allow the User to order the FullScreenEvents to obtain the correct visualisation.
    We now serialise visible curve information.
    General improvements to the usability of the curve editors.

Bug Fixes:
    Fix for a couple of unhandled Exceptions.
    General Bug Fixes.
    Manually pause and Play a sequence that is looping.
    Reset the show only animated flag when changing cutscenes.

Enjoy making those beautiful cutscenes,
    Well fired.

7. cynel

cynel

good i had this pipeline theory that blender animators can work on the the games animation there then i import the data to unity

8. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Cynel,

This sounds great and should be 100% doable.

As a side note, we are almost finished with our feature that allows you to directly edit curves from imported animations in the uSequencer window, we'll keep you posting with future updates. :)

9. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

I really enjoyed the walkthrough video. That was very helpful and I look forward to seeing future episodes.

I have a question. I'm running 1.17 in my project. I imagine at some point, it will become necessary (or at least advantageous) for me to upgrade to a newer version. Is there any particular process I need to follow in order to ensure that I don't lose any data or content when doing this?

10. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey, we're glad you like it, we'll hopefully get another one up same time next week. Not sure which to do yet, Observer, Property or Event Timelines. But I'm sure we'll get one together for you this weekend.

As far as upgrading is concerned, it's always a good idea to back up before you do an upgrade and only perform an upgrade if you 'NEED' too. Having said that, we have an full upgrade path from way back to versions pre 1.0, you should be perfectly fine to upgrade, to any future version, we don't have any current desire to stop supporting older versions of uSequencer.

For upgrading, you simply need to open your project, open your scene and then open uSequencer, uSequencer will automatically upgrade any sequence in your scene, and you should get some lovely information in the console window telling you what's happened.

So the basic steps are
    1) Use uSequencer as normal, and it will automatically upgrade your cutscenes without any interaction.
    2) (Party?)

We tried to make everything as easy to use and intuitive as possible.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have a few interface suggestion I would like to share.

I would think a goal of the interface would be to be as efficient as possible, this includes not taking up space were it's not needed.

At the moment the create new sequence button takes up way too much space.
    I think it would be best to move this button half it's height just as the play and stop buttons are.
    And it could be smaller too.

Please try to condense the interface a little more so that all focus goes to the timeline were most changes are made.

12. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

This is a perfectly acceptable request, keep them coming, we love to hear user feedback, specifically when it comes to UI, we try to make uSequencer as intuitive and easy to use as possible.

I guess when people don't have an entire second monitor to spare and dedicate to cutscene development, space concerns are more of an issue, we will look into condensing that space. (Condensing it in general isn't an un-reasonable request. The Create New Sequence button is a little on the bulky side).

13. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry, but I'm still not clear on the initial upgrade though. Do I just delete the USequencer folder and import the updated package? Do I need to ensure that I have a blank scene open while I do this so that there are no cutscenes in the open scene?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  14. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Phil,

Apologies for my not so clear description.

For updating uSequencer, you simply need to re-import the package. Either re-download it from the asset store, or re import it from the hierarchy (Right Click -> Import Package). Unity is usually pretty wise about the upgrade process here. You shouldn't need to do this in an empty scene.

On the off chance that you do experience import problems, you could try opening an empty scene, deleting the uSequencer Directory and reimporting the package (Either from the asset store or the .package).

We'll always be around to give you support if you need it, so just give us a shout if you have any problems.

Regards,
    Terry

15. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Version 1.8 is now available to purchase from the asset store!

Happy Sequence Day!

16. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

We've completed playmaker Integration and created four wonderful play maker events for you.

Play At Time
    Play
    Stop
    Set Time

You can download them as a Unity Package here.

This should give you full control over a sequence in Playmaker. We will include this package with future updates to uSequencer!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

17. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Thanks Terry, that's completely clear now. I'm sure it will be a straightforward when it comes to it, but I always prefer to prevent problems than fix them, if I can.

18. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

I guess it's always better to stand on the side of caution when it comes to these things! If you require any in depth chats about the upgrade process, or want anymore information before you decide to proceed with an upgrade, feel free to get in touch, either here on the forum or send en email off to support@wellfired.com

:)

Regards

19. hitking100

hitking100

Thank you ! Exactly what i needed...keep up the good work.

20. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

uSequence V1.181 has been accepted to the asset store, you can also, as usual, try out the free version here!

New This Versions
    Out of the box PlayMaker support.
    Added the option to Ping-Pong the cutscene.
    Events now fire in reverse order, when you use a negative PlaybackRate.
    Further Editor Performance Upgrades.
    Further Mobile optimisations.

Bug Fixes
    Fixed a hard exception that sometimes happened if you dragged an item around in the uSequencer Window

Coming Soon
    We'll ship a new version shortly with a more condensed UI.

We're looking for suggestions as to other Third Party packages you'd want integration for. We're currently looking into uScript, is there anything else you'd like?

21. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone,

We've just thrown together a Unity Package with some uScript Nodes! For all you developers who don't code, but still want to integrate amazing cutscenes, you now have the choice between Playmaker or uScript!

You can download the uScript package At the uSequencer webpage.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

22. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

We've updated the uSequencer Free package over at the uSequencer website, it now contains out of the box support for Playmaker and uScript, so you can grab this and get going with wonderful cutscene creation!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

23. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We noticed a couple of errors with the latest unity 4.0 Beta and uSequencer.

just to let everyone know, a new package has been submitted and accepted to the Asset Store, and should be working perfectly with the latest Unity 4.0 Beta.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

24. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

What version is this? The asset store is still showing v1.177.

I am getting an error with the latest Unity 4.0 build (4.0.0f3), "TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'USAssetModificationProcessor' from assembly 'uSequencerEditor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'." and am not able to open the uSequencer window (it's not in the Window dropdown).

Will the latest version fix this?

Regards,
    Matt.

25. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

There is a bug somewhere in the asset store. I've emailed them about this four times, since the last three updates I've done, haven't updated the version number, or description displayed (In the Asset Store).

Just to clarify, the latest version IS v1.181, even though the Asset Store says V1.177.

Also, the issue you describe is exactly what we've fixed. If you update, this error should go away.

Please let us know if the latest version does indeed fix this error for you. I will send a fifth email to the Asset Store team asking them to fix this for me.

Regards,
    Well Fired

26. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Many thanks for the clarification.

I have tried redownloading the latest version and updating and the error has not gone away. I have also deleted the uSequencer folder from the project and reinstalled to no avail.

I have also created a new empty project and redownloaded/installed and the error is still there.

regards,
    Matt.

27. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

I guess this means the Asset Store is not updating my package for some reason. To Be Honest, the Asset Store has been going severely down hill of late.

Send me your receipt (to support@wellfired.com), and I will personally send you the updated package, I guess the Asset Store team will be out office until Monday, so I can't do anything about that right now, if anyone else is experiencing the same problem, send us an email and we'll update your package personally.

Regards,
    Well Fired

28. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Thank you for the support, much appreciated. I will try and dig out the receipt and get it over to you.

Kindest Regards,
    Matt.

29. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey, no problem at all, it's important to us that everyone using uSequencer is very happy. Hopefully the Asset Store Team will sort this out for everyone as soon as possible. (I imagine other content producers are experiencing similar issues).

Regards,
    Well Fired

30. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello Lars,

We've been working to condense our UI a lot, and should have a new version of uSequencer in the Asset Store for you to use sometime next week. I just wanted to head over here and give you a quick preview of our current 'condensed' UI.

As you can see, basically the only thing filling the window is the Timeline View, we've managed to get A LOT of screen space back, so you can concentrate on what you do best. Making Amazing Timelines.

Let me know what you think!

And, of course if you use unity lite!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Much cleaner the new condenses UI, Really like it!

Maybe you can add a few buttons, for reverse playback and back to beginning, like in garage band for example.

Attached Files:

32. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Actually, the stop button will go back to the beginning, and the playback rate can put you in reverse playback mode! However, it we might look into having seperate playback controls for the UI and for the cutscene!

More suggestions are always welcomed.

Regards,
    Well Fired

33. cynel

cynel

well im not buying uSequencer until the Unity 4.0 bugs are sorted out

34. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello, yes, we're very sorry about this, we unfortunately, can't do anything about it until the Asset Store team get back into the office. I guess Monday at the earliest.

However, if you are using the Unity 4.0 BETA. You can use our hosted Free Version of uSequencer. It is the same as the version that "should" be in the Asset Store. It is fully featured, but has a watermark. When the Asset Store Team fix the problems with the Asset Store, and version 1.181 is available to download, you can just update your uSequencer package, and the cutscenes you've created with the free version will just work.

I guess, the Asset Store version is one week out of date now, we are sorry about this, but unfortunately, it is out of our control.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

35. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone!

As promised, here is the second in the series of Tutorial videos, this time, we're concentrating exclusively on Property Timelines.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Cool new video! just a little thing that I would clean up, there is a "Help me?" button which I would simply call "Help" :)

37. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey, glad you like it, you should be able to get your hands on it in the next couple of days (Unless you use the free version, which has been instantly updated :p), it's been submitted to the asset store for the world to experience !

Keep the feedback coming, its much appreciated, we love hearing from you!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  38. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Loved the new video! Your interface is very intuitive and well-organized but I still picked up a couple of new ways of doing things that I hadn't spotted. Always nice to improve my workflow.

39. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Glad you enjoyed it! One of our primary aims was to make a tool that was as user friendly and intuitive as possible, whilst fitting right into the Unity Interface. We're glad to see we've achieved this goal. That being said, it's always great to ensure everyone knows as much as possible about using uSequencer, so everyone can get the most out of it.

We'll try and get a new video out every week, next week, we'll be having a look into Observer Timelines!

Regards,
    Well Fired.

40. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

We've been informed today, by the Asset Store Team that they've fixed this issue, and the version of uSequencer that is currently available on the Asset Store, is Version 1.183, complete with compressed UI.

Regards,
    Well Fired.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  41. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

42. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello All,

Just in case anyone was considering Playstation 3 development, we'd like to add Playstation 3 to our list of supported platforms.

We've also had a number of studios get in touch with us about custom licensing agreements for larger teams, or larger projects, if you feel you fall into this category and want to discuss personal License agreements, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at support@wellfired.com

Regards,
    Well Fired.

43. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello everyone,

This weeks video and the third in this tutorial series is available for your viewing, concentrating on Observer Timelines with uSequencer.

Enjoy!

Regards,
    Well Fired

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Hi could you make a playmaker action for switching active uSequence camera? thanks

45. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Yes, this will be no problem to do. We'll extend the PlayMaker actions for you.

We also forgot to tell mention that we wrote a custom Send Message Event for uSequencer / uScript interaction, this is included in the uScript.package file within the Third party Directory of your uSequencer folder.

Regards,
    Terry.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  46. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Is it possible to change the length of an animation? In order to play animations, I'm using an event timeline. As I add new animations, they are automatically created with a duration equal to the length of the animation. However, if I want to play an animation at 1/2 speed, the duration will be double. Can I set that somewhere?

Also, if I want looping animations to run much longer, how do I do that? Do I just set the wrap mode to looping and assume that the animation will continue looping even after the event in the timeline has finished? Is there a way to set how long it will go on looping for?

47. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hello,

For the looping animations, simply set the wrap mode to Looping and set the duration to the duration you'd desire, this should take care of that for you.

As for half speed animations, this doesn't currently exist, but would be quite easy to put together, I'll add this functionality to the event now and hand it over to you soon.

Regards,
    Terry

48. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Thanks for the reply. I see now what you mean about the looping duration. Thanks!

Yes, adding to the event would be great. I don't really mind whether you let us set the speed and then calculate the duration from that or vice versa, but it would be great to be able to do that. Thanks!

49. WellFiredDevelopment

WellFiredDevelopment

Hey, glad you got the looping sorted out, it should be mighty easy! :)

You can download an updated event here : Animation Playback with Speed Control.
    This should unpack to your uSequencer Directory by default. There is a new inspector value on the Animation Event for Speed Control. (Just set this up as you'd like, 2 is twice as fast, 0.5 is half as fast, etc).

I'll also include this modified event with future versions of the uSequencer Package through the Asset Store.

we're currently working on Prefab support, and that should be done very soon, we'll push an update to the asset store then.

Here's a little WebPlayer Demo we threw together using uSequencer in five minutes, it shows the same animations being played at varying speeds.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21635985/webplayer.html

Regards,
    Well Fired

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  50. cynel

cynel

could uSequencer work with mecanim

edit: i said playmaker by accident

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012