Unity Community

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1. Posts

Will Unity 4 have new Terrain Features?!

Since everyone is too busy complaining on the main thread, I decided to post my own. I've been trying to figure out if Unity 4 will have new Terrain editing features. Does anyone have any information on this?!
    If you are looking for next gen lighting, I have been building a lighting engine for Unity the past 6 months. It contains real time global illumination, and physically accurate area lights and works on all versions of unity. Check out the forum thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/233...p-Area-Lights)

2. Location
    London, UK
    Quote Originally Posted by brilliantgamestudios View Post
    Since everyone is too busy complaining on the main thread, I decided to post my own. I've been trying to figure out if Unity 4 will have new Terrain editing features. Does anyone have any information on this?!
    I'd also like to know this, I use the terrain feature a lot and would love native support for both streaming/tiling to enable us to create vast worlds without plugins and support for mega-textures for terrains

3. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoss View Post
    I'd also like to know this, I use the terrain feature a lot and would love native support for both streaming/tiling to enable us to create vast worlds without plugins and support for mega-textures for terrains
    As well it would be really sweet if we could finally use infinite normal maps.
    If you are looking for next gen lighting, I have been building a lighting engine for Unity the past 6 months. It contains real time global illumination, and physically accurate area lights and works on all versions of unity. Check out the forum thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/233...p-Area-Lights)

4. Super Moderator
    I think if you look at the current front page the new features are singled out. I don't see "Terrain" mentioned or highlighted in the announcement so one can assume that there is nothing new in that sector.
    I am available for Freelance work! Contact me via PM or email.
    My blog: Click to open
    Twitter: Thomas Pasieka

5. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pasieka View Post
    I think if you look at the current front page the new features are singled out. I don't see "Terrain" mentioned or highlighted in the announcement so one can assume that there is nothing new in that sector.
    Darn thats too bad. Hope thats changed.

6. Posts
    I think someone was just trying to start some sort of rumor :P or maybe just misspoke. Would be nice to see it in the 4.x though, I think it's about time. Spending time on the new GUI / Animation system is also just as important, and considering the amount of 3rd party solutions, I think many users will last 'till then.
    Completely new to game development and Unity? don't know where to start? You don't have to be a n00b, click here and you'll be a pro in no time! The complete scripting series will bring you from zero to hero!

Really guys, get over it. Everyone these days wants a MMO not single player. I know we should start out small but times have changed. Anymore in the game industry no matter how small or large you have to go big or go home!

7. Posts
    Even just infinite normal maps would make me happy. This is my only wish for the terrain editor!

8. Posts
    There is no need for super awesome landscape creation or painting like UE3 has or any complex tools, all we need is proper support of normal (detai) maps, and one main diffuse terrain map where you can blend splat maps on top of. With that and use of World Machine + Mudbox or Zbrush one can do amazing terrains.

9. Volunteer Moderator

Even just infinite normal maps would make me happy. This is my only wish for the terrain editor!
    What does "infinite normal maps" mean?

10. Location
    Austria
    maybe infinite Voxel terrain?
    C# | Unity3D | Blender | Silo 3D | Messiah Studio

11. Location
    Norway
    Well you can have that already, sort of.

12. Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by aNTeNNa trEE View Post
    What does "infinite normal maps" mean?
    4D normal maps whose alpha channels represent the time span for the new GUI to be done.

13. Posts
    4D normal maps whose alpha channels represent the time span for the new GUI to be done.
    gah, trying to find "oh snap" gif
    Last edited by TehWut; 06-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Completely new to game development and Unity? don't know where to start? You don't have to be a n00b, click here and you'll be a pro in no time! The complete scripting series will bring you from zero to hero!

Really guys, get over it. Everyone these days wants a MMO not single player. I know we should start out small but times have changed. Anymore in the game industry no matter how small or large you have to go big or go home!

14. Unity Community Evangelist

We have been in "R&D mode" quite a bit with terrains, as you can see from this Ninjacamp project http://unity3d.com/ninjacamp/projects/10060 So some improvements on terrain are certainly something that we could end up looking at sometime in the 4.x release cycle. As to if we will have something in the 4.0 launch, I'd stick to the list of features we announced for now
    Joe Robins
    Community Evangelist | Unity Technologies
    www.unity3d.com

15. Posts
    What I meant about infinite normal maps, is being able to have more than 4 normal maps per terrain. All the normal map scripts that exist never seem to go over 4. Unless I've missed something. (excuse my lack of knowledge in how the terrain editor works)

16. Location
    London, UK
    I believe we should be able to have normal and parralax mapped terrain, The current terrain system does seem fine, but it's missing some basic things that are present in other engines (tiling, stitching, shaders etc)

17. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoss View Post
    I believe we should be able to have normal and parralax mapped terrain, The current terrain system does seem fine, but it's missing some basic things that are present in other engines (tiling, stitching, shaders etc)
    Yes, besides that, I love everything else about the terrain editor. Just seems silly that it wasnt done in the first place, I wonder why. Every other modern engine seems to have normal maps on terrain.

18. Location
    Brussels, Belgium
    I'm using a lot the terrain tool in unity but after testing tools like the terrain sculpting and painting in hero engine for example, it's
    a pain to go back in unity after that.

19. Location
    Canada, BC
    Hero Engine has the best terrain editor I have ever used. Too bad it costs money now

20. Posts
    Yes, besides that, I love everything else about the terrain editor. Just seems silly that it wasnt done in the first place, I wonder why. Every other modern engine seems to have normal maps on terrain.
    This should be question for milion dollars. I can completly understand that there are difficult features that take a lot of time to implement , but seriously normal mapped terrain has been done with indie developers on their custom engines within few days, i dont understand why is it so complicated for UT to set it up.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast