Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Does the upgrade pricing expire on July 9th, or does only the 200 voucher bonus expire with upgrade pricing remaining the same otherwise at $250 for mobile basic licenses indefinitely?

2. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The latter.

3. bryanleister

bryanleister

Can you tell us how similar the workflow will be from the current GUI to the new system in 4.0? Will it use OnGUI? Is it simply faster?
    Any details would be good helpful as we are currently working on a UI setup for a game and want to know how much rewriting might be involved...

4. digitalsoapbox

digitalsoapbox

^ This

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The GUI changes in 4.0 are purely performance. The interface remains the same.

6. Khyrid

Khyrid

The 200 dollar discount I think is making it okay, not exactly sure how it works. But the best idea I think is this guys thread HERE.

7. peter_on

peter_on

i was commenting the other day that the Pro upgrade price for 3.5 has increased by 90€ recently due to exchange rates. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/139187-UnityPro-price-raise

A double whammy, now the 4.x upgrade price has increase as well. It will be easier for many to swallow, if unity can RECONSIDER throwing in a small voucher for iOS/Android basic -> Pro upgrades ;-)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ

Sorry - I'm just catching up. Is it confirmed that you CAN'T do this? So the upgrade price is definitely $1700 and not $1500 (with the $200 discount)?

9. Nooch

Nooch

I hope it at least allows publishing on new iOS versions, as people have mentioned. I suspect quite a lot of people will be sticking with 3.x, and it would be devastating if they were cut off any time soon. Also 3.x is a great engine, so it's still more than enough for plenty of people.

I don't think you guys will ever hear the end of the GUI thing... it does suck, though. A lot of people held out for that new system. Have to admit I feel sort of down after this 4.0 announcement.

Are we talking "usable on mobile" type performance? ;)

10. Bruno Gysin

Bruno Gysin

Some Web Player for the love of god i wanna see it more closely D=

or

Download Demo Mecanim animation system for Windows

Mecanim animation system

11. chipnuts

chipnuts

What if you bought it 2 weeks ago like I did? ;) No word yet from them on any kind of grace period.

12. sama-van

sama-van

Wake up is hard.... 1700$USD for upgrade Pro + iOs Pro.

Still working on Maya 2009 and Photoshop CS4 because I didn't found the budget to upgrade both license yet..

If we follow software update + yearly payment, for :
    - Unity
    - Maya
    - Photoshop
    - iOSdevelopper account
    - website and *.com,

..that is about 4000$USD to spend a year in software + to add cost for hardware as well.

Wait... Do I am a cheap artist?
    Should I find another way to find income?

Wait... Dammit!! Colleagues hack those soft!!

Wait... Business model is the worst! yeah!

13. nipoco

nipoco

Use Blender, or Modo. Both are free/cheap and work fine with Unity.

14. henry96

henry96

I thought new GUI system will coming with Unity 4.0. But still, there are many new cool features with this version.

15. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

If you use Maya, it's not a 5 minute switch to blender .... otherwise maya would not even sell anymore.

anyway off topic :)

16. nipoco

nipoco

At least you can change Blender's interface to Maya's to some extent.
    You are right, though. It will take some time to grasp Blender if you come from Maya/Max.

But you heard this guy. He can barely afford those expensive licences.

Yeah but let's stay on topic :)

17. Tseng

Tseng

Yes it would have been better and more strategic to hold it back, considering that almost all features in 3.5 are half-ass and 3.5 feels more like an advertisement build for 4.0. Most of the stuff introduced in 3.5 is half way done, in an almost unusable state. In order to get fully utilize it, people would be forced to upgrade to 4.0.

Let's sum up the half-assed features added in Unity3d 3.5
    • Halfway finished NavMesh: Great feature... in theory. But only it's most basic stuff is added, which readers it almost useless. As with most of the features, it now feels like advertisement.

Want to fully utilize NavMesh? Upgrade to 4.0 now
    • Halfway finished LoD: LoD sounded great on the feature list before 3.5 was released. But in reality the LoD system is pretty much unfinished

There is no auto LoD feature, it has to be imported. All of the LoD versions will be loaded, so no management on that side.

So for LoD to get really useful, especially on mobile devices, you have to purchase 4.0 again. This makes 3.5 feel like an preview/advertisement version for 4.0 again
    • Well the GUI system of course. It was broken ever since Unity 3.0 was released and from what I hear even before that.

2 years passed and you still haven't managed to fix one of the most important issues, the GUI system.
    • Last but not east: Half-assed Particle system.

It's great you added a new particle system. Though I found it pretty much useless, because I was using world collisions, which basically rendered the new particle system useless for me and many others. There are also other features which existed in the legacy particle system which don't work with the Shuriken one.

Again, it's one more half assed feature, which is an preview/advertisement for Unity 4.0.

And now you are arguing about not adding an half-assed GUI system in 3.5. How would have that changed anything, all of the most recent features were already only half assed too, one more wouldn't made a huge difference

You have just loaded Unity 3.5 with half working features, instead of pickup up two of the features and done it properly (i.e. GUI and LoD for example) and keep the other twos (Shuriken/NavMeshes) for 4.0.

Then you would have added two necessary features (GUI and LoD) to the current series and two completely new and optional/nice to have ones to the new version.

One of the reasons why 4.0 doesn't feel "like a worthy upgrade" is exactly for that reason: Most of the features were already added to 3.5 and just feel like regular/free updates, with the difference that they aren't free.

Releasing it in 3.5 was definitely the wrong decision. You/UT shouldn't have ever thought about releasing 4.0 before fixing 3.5 in the first place. I'm sure more people would have been happy about a new GUI system, than about NavMeshes, Shuriken or LoD.

NavMeshes/Shuriken were definitely nice features, but instead of "wasting" time on making them, you could have done the GUI system. Once that was done, you could have concentrate your work on the new product line.

I personally see just two ways for UT to get out of this w/o a huge reputation loss:
    a) make 3.x > 4.x upgrades free, as it barely justifies the upgrade costs
    b) postpone 4.x and fix 3.x product line first and add the GUI before migrating to 4.x

I am really not sure if/how your marketing guys expect the developers to have trust in a company which has advertised a new GUI for 2 years and haven't released it yet and now wants to start the next product line and expect people to upgrade and bear for another two years that they may or may not upgrade the GUI system.

Same goes for the horribly broken API, though that's somewhat difficult to fix with minor releases

Can you at least tell us the reasons behind the decision why you wasted development time for half-done features instead of fixing the GUI system?

In the time you did 3 half-assed subsystems (Shuriken, LoD, NavMeshes) you could have finished up the GUI then one system after another.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There isn't a new system in 4.0.

--Eric

19. rstehwien

rstehwien

Yes and I'll be picking it up pro shortly (sure I think the upgrade should be at least 50% off, but not having to buy it all at once makes it work for me now). Focusing on tool development right now so I want to keep pro but can wait on mobile.

Only other wish item for upgrades would be able to get a discount going from iOS/Android Pro for 3.5 to iOS/Android Basic 4.0 for the same price as someone going from basic 3.5 to 4.0.

20. opsive

opsive

21. rstehwien

rstehwien

Several of the screenshots show boxes and lines interfaces. What I'm more interested in is if that will become a built in part of EditorGUI I can use for other projects. I've got an idea for biome generation using a graph layout...

22. SteveJ

SteveJ

23. SilentOne001

SilentOne001

I don't usually come to the forums. In fact, I just had to register this account because I couldn't remember the info of my original account. ;)

Anyway, I saw the news about Unity 4 earlier today and I just wanted give my thoughts on it.

First of all, that animation system is really cool and the Linux support is awesome.

The whole thing seemed great, until I checked out the prices on the pre-order page. I'm not here to start an argument and I definitely don't want to sound like a whiny child, but those prices are too high to be indie. I have a license to Unity Pro/iOS Pro and I simply won't be able to afford the upgrades for Unity 4.

I saw earlier in the thread some people were saying that if you can't afford to spend around $2000 for upgrades every few years then you shouldn't have invested in Unity to begin with. I feel like that is a very poor attitude to have towards the whole thing. I'm a hobbyist, I didn't buy Unity to try to make it rich. I'm not trying to be the next Angry Birds on the app store.

I bought Unity Pro before there was a free version available. I bought iOS Pro and the update to Unity 3 because I thought they would have a longer lifespan. And as others have pointed out, there were a lot of things promised or at least implied to be include in Unity 3 that aren't there or aren't finished.

I have spent $3500+ on Unity products over the past few years. That may not be a lot to some of you, but that is a lot of money to me. I did it because I really love Unity and now I feel like I'm being punished for being an early supporter.

You can say that my version won't disappear when Unity 4 comes out and I understand that. But with a lack of support, especially for iOS Pro, I wonder how long I'll really be able to keep making games with Unity.

Now I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into making an engine like Unity. I know the Unity Team has families to feed and a business to support, but I can't help but feel like your turning your backs on the little guys like me who have been supporters for a long time now.

I really think the pricing model needs to change. Keep the $850 for the engine update. I think that is a fair price for the features shown(I still won't be able to afford it right away though). However, consider dropping the fee for engine addons like iOS Pro and Android Pro. I really feel those should be lifetime licenses. So people that upgrade to Unity 4 that already own an addon license will get the 4.0 version for free. The discount and free addon versions would be a great way to pay back previous owners while encouraging the upgrade to Unity 4.

I have a family and bills to pay myself, so by the time I put away $1700 for the Unity 4 updates, it will be a year and a half or two years down the road. And by then I would be too afraid of another update to buy them.

Obviously you guys have no real reason to listen to me, but I always appreciated how open the Unity team was with its community so I just wanted to give you my perspective on things.

Sadly, if things don't change, it looks like I may have to take my hobby to something free like UDK.

24. flim

flim

I switched to another tool instead, it is very tough to catch up this upgrade cycle, just only 2 years since version 3.

If I want to upgrade my Pro licenses plus Flash export, it is 850x3+1500=4050 !!!

25. nipoco

nipoco

I would say it is more about the investors... three out of six people at the Unity Tech board are from investment houses. And those people unfortunately don't care much about the little guys. They care only about growth and profit.
    Sad but true.

26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yea why have to pay again for the add ons? Who's idea was that? I would like to have a word with him.
    I can see paying for Unity upgrades fair enough, but now it feels like having to pay double or triple in the case of iOS pro Android pro + Flash.

27. spartan

spartan

What's the deal for old Unity developers?

First I paid Unity iPhone Basic +$400
    Then Unity Pro and iPhone Pro +$1500 + $1100
    Then Unity Android Basic +$400
    Total = $3,400.

Few months ago Unity gave iPhone Basic and Android Basic for FREE!.. I lost $800 !!!
    And now if I want to upgrade my licenses I need to pay $1,700 ??????????

Seriously, we can't afford those costs as indie developers.

Unity should give Unity 4 for Unity Pro 3.5 users for a cheaper price! Also I don't see "big" things on Unity 4 to pay +$1,700.

I will stay with Unity 3.5, hope to keep receiving critical updates/support for Unity iOS.

28. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Considering the delaying in fixing old features, the upgrade price does appear a bit steep, especially the $850 for the IOS PRO upgrade because so far only info about it is the new shadow system for mobile. If I only wanted to upgrade to iOS PRO 'I CANNOT'. If you click the iOS PRO upgrade it automatically selects the Unity Pro upgrade, so based on current information looks like that the new Shadows on Mobile will cost you $1700 !!! That's a pretty shadow I guess?!!

29. sama-van

sama-van

I never heard a game company is working with Blender though :)

Could be difficult to deal when if they require *.ma file + Maya project.

To switch Maya to Blender isn't 5 min...
    I wrote many tool for Maya I am using everyday.
    If I had to switch from Maya to another software this could be an huge lose of time for now.

Things aren't so simple they look like... :(

30. SteveJ

SteveJ

I have another dumb question - I find I'm never short on them...

Where is the discount code? Does it get sent to you AFTER you make the initial purchase (i.e. Unity Pro) and you then go back in and buy the iOS upgrade with it...

OR... was it in the announcement email that UT sent out which I have carelessly deleted?

Hoping it's the former...

31. Khyrid

Khyrid

They should just come down with the price, everyone has already debated every way possible to make a better alternative, the core of the problem is an 850 dollar upgrade cost is going to burn a lot of people. But what do I know, they will probably still make a profit the way they are doing things, maybe they are masterminds and know exactly what they're doing and what we'll pay. I made a thread asking people about what license they would want, most agreed with the current model, so oh well.

32. npsf3000

npsf3000

FTFY

33. QFS

QFS

Well to be honest this move probably wasnt the smartest move to make at this point in time. Dont get me wrong, I love unity and what it has offered to many people, but I think they'd put themselves in a sticky situation.

With the amount and type of responses seen here, its clear many arent too happy (unlike the other major release announcements over the years).

If Epic decides to make UDK of their Unreal 4 engine, and if they match the deployment features its going to be bad, since they are already trying to match Unity's ease of use features.

If I was sitting on that investors board I would say "since Unity has a great fan base, and great feature set and proven track record, copy the Pixologic license model and you will completely decimate your competition for good".

34. goat

goat

You can at least save some money by moving your website / *.com to Amazon Web Services. I have an email server (I had to install a 3rd party free server but it works fine and most my mail goes through me.com anyway), DNS (AWS Route 53), and a 'micro-instance' of Windows Server 2008 R2 running MS's HTTP server and MS SQL Server for 0.51 a month.

35. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

I'm sort of thinking the same thing. UDK 4 appears to be emulating a lot of what makes Unity great for beginners. If they bridge that gap plus already have the $99 yearly license structure... that could lure away a lot of folks here. The difference in licensing is kind of ironic, UDK is much more indie friendly but they milk the AAA teams. With Unity its the opposite. If Unity loses their indie friendly workflow edge, this could be terrible for them. I don't know if milking their user base is a good idea. However UDK 4 could be very far off.

36. lmbarns

lmbarns

To be fair, UDK is getting rid of their scripting language in UDK 4 and everything will be C++. So if that fits into your workflow, more power to you.

I'd be more worried about CryMono, although their licensing isn't any party either. But from what little documentation they have, it's almost identical to using C# in Unity(http://docs.inkdev.net/display/CryMono/Raytracing+game+objects+using+Ray.Cast). But probably another year+ from having the documentation filled out to the point I could see myself using it for a project. They're also moving into mobile space, but again, years off.

I DON'T THINK ANYONE NOT AFFILIATED WITH UNITY IS HAPPY ABOUT THE UPGRADE PRICE FOR EXTENSIONS. I don't think they should just continue developing mobile's for free, either, but I think the price should be more affordable, whether that means bumping up Unity Pro another $500-$1000, and charging 1/3 of current price for each upgrade, they should probably reward people who've bought pro.

If anything maybe Unity Pro should go up a couple hundred each release for new customers, since it's a better product, while existing users got it for a little cheaper, and can upgrade for a lot less than current price?

Unity should spend their time developing the engine rather than setting up new payment schemes, but maybe marketing could do some hard thinking about structure.

Also I think if they would have kept the upgrades to $500 they could have avoided most of this conflict.

37. npsf3000

npsf3000

+1

Unity is a nice engine, and I like using it. However the markets have changed - there are extremely competitive 2d engines for those who want to make simple 2D games. Unity's traditional strengths [mobile, workflow, easy programming] are being addressed by UDK and Cryengine, who bring extremely powerful features of their own.

This release is nice, but it doesn't appear to do much but address *some* of the existing problems.

Regarding pricing, I've never understood why U3D doesn't offer subscription based pricing - it's far more affordable for the Indy and gets around a lot of the controversy.

38. goat

goat

Unity has to assume UDK can't compete. If they can at the very least they'll need to drop the artificial constraint that a PRO osX / Windows license must be purchased before one can buy a license for whatever platform they are truly interested in:

i.e. most likely the captive eyes staring at iOS, Android, or Facebook screens (Flash/WebPlayer).

Any games that's a success on one platform will almost assuredly cause licenses to be bought so the other platforms can be published to too. And there is also 'Union' for that kind of thing as well.

The only disadvantage is people own the hardware they own so if would be nice to be able to publish to all platforms at once because if they notice your game, you'd better hope they have the hardware to run it if interested. But that's only going to be a problem until one publishes a first successful game.

39. playemgames

playemgames

^ This! There have been a lot of improvements since Unity 3.0 was released but I think the one "feature" that everyone was holding out for was the new GUI system. I really love working with Unity, but I think that this one "feature" that is left out of the core system will leave a lot of new customers holding back and keep existing license holders from upgrading.

The current GUI system is laughable at best, I had used my own solution and finally got NGUI after I saw that it was a perfect fit with Unity and easy to code with. Why not work with the NGUI guys and just integrate it in with Unity's core, or at least have something added to the core to compete with the 3rd party solutions.

Seeing all this partially integrated stuff into the engine was good at first, but now knowing that none of them will be completed for 3.x releases is a real let down. It will be cheaper to upgrade to 3rd party solutions for most if not all the currently implemented "half assed" features as Tseng put it. I know I will be holding off to see if any of the new features mature and become stable within the next year because of the experiences given with 3.x, because if history repeats itself, we might be waiting a long time to see these things mature to a state of true usability.

40. TheLorax

TheLorax

So, are the vouchers applied to the purchased products, or to be used on a future purchase? Do you get a $200 voucher each for upgrading Unity Pro, iPhone Pro and Android Pro? If so, how do I apply that $600 to the purchase and update them all at once?

It almost reads like the vouchers come after you have made a purchase. So you upgrade two, Unity Pro and iPhone Pro, get the $400 voucher and apply that towards Android Pro. But when you do that, you get the final $200 voucher for something in the future. Flash Add-On? I really don't need that....

TheLorax

41. Khyrid

Khyrid

UDK and Cryo will push unity into a corner and steal its lunch money if Unity's community isn't there to have its back.

42. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

If I read correctly, the voucher applies to just Unity Pro. You don't get a voucher with a pro add-on.

43. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

It sure feels like UT are growing ever-distant from the real needs of the user base, driven increasingly by shareholder interest and large partners. I'd love to understand the rationale behind the Mechanim acquisition, and the possibly rushed release of 4.0 to capitalise on that investment. Hopefully the back-lash following the 4.0 announcement and lower-than-expected upgrade sales will raise questions internally about whether the company needs to rebalance it's priorities back towards the center, addressing the needs of all stakeholders more evenly.

Tseng has already highlighted a key issue: partial feature-set implementations rendered meaningless to many users. +1 plea to focus on fixing and fully implementing existing features rather than adding more partial implementations that will introduce a new host of bugs.

I'll demonstrate by providing a brief summary history of development on our RTS comedy-adventure project Folk Tale ( see signature for links ):

Spring 2011: No Pathfinding
    Purchased Unity Pro 3.3 and started learning. First problem, no in-built pathfinding solution so no way to get characters moving around meaningfully. Tried several, settled on Aron Granberg's A*Pathfinding because it was the most feature rich and included code so we could modify. Additional cost of $100 for a feature I expected to be included. We use the grid-graph because the player can construct buildings on the terrain and most Navmesh solutions don't support dynamic recalculation with raycasting to rebuild the navmesh.

Summer 2011: No Hardware Cursors
    No in-built hardware cursor support. Tried various third-party solutions but none ideal as Unity seems to fight with User32.dll based solutions (speculation) causing the replacement cursors to occasionally flicker back and forth to the system cursor. Fell-back to system cursor and hoped it'd be included later.

Summer 2011: Mono 2.6 Garbage Collection
    Realisation that Mono 2.6 has crappy gc and slow allocation, which was causing issues in the OnGUI system in Unity, forcing regular gc cpu spikes, freezing the frame rate at regular basis. Looked around for solutions, settled on NGUI. Additional cost because the in-built solution was flawed: $95.

Refactored all code to remove nearly all in-game allocations, using object pooling to recycle nearly everything to avoid gc.

Summer 2011: Terrain-Billboard Ambient Light Bug
    Ripped out the terrain-based tree system because billboards didn't update when ambient lighting changed. Which means when day changes to night, we'd be left with daylight billboards in a night time scene. No way to access the api to manually trigger redraw.

Early Autumn: LOD
    Implemented our own LOD system that supported various switching modes: immediate, fade in/out, scale in/out.

Late Autumn, Unity 3.5 announced including pathfinding and LOD. Initial excitement faded rapidly. Navmesh only pathfinding - useless to us for the reasons listed above, plus there was no dynamic obstacle avoidance. LOD - no auto-LOD generation. Will pay for Brett Bibby's new plugin when it launches. Postponed new GUI system - didn't really matter as we'd committed to NGUI. Updated to Water4 and some of the image effects, benefitted from the threading performance optimizations. Shuriken we haven't used too much as yet, but it seems to be missing key features of other modern particle systems I've seen ( spline paths? ).

May 2012: Hardware Cursor NinjaCamp Project
    Hardware cursor project highlighted in the latest NinjaCamp. Promising, but when will it be released? UT seem to be acquiring a habit for under-delivering on what users misinterpret as promises, which is worrying. And how can hardware cursors be one of those way-out-there features that you wouldn't normally get to work on? I'll reiterate a comment I've previously made: how many AAA RTS projects have shipped in the last 2 years that use the system cursor? Close to, if not zero.

Now: Unity 4.0 announced.
    Navmesh only - what about grid and list graphs? Will stick with A*Pathfinding. No new GUI - no problem for most users judging by NGUI's sales figures, just damaged reputation by slipping a feature listed in 3.5 yet again. A better acquisition would have been NGUI. Mechanim - we have animators on the team and blending so I'm not how much impact this will have. We may benefit from nicer DX11 based visual effects, Linux is useful to reach a larger audience.

I love Unity, I think it's a great product, and the team mostly do a great job on what they are asked to work on. What I'm not enamoured by is the product development strategy, the hidden costs for third-party workaround solutions, and the hefty upgrade cost given there is very little we'll actually use, just to get some performance optimizations. Based on the information currently available, I think we'll stick with 3.5 pro until the upgrade price is dropped and the feature-list is finalised.

44. outtoplay

outtoplay

Nicely presented GamesFoundry. Sad really. Unity was something to be excited about. Now they struggle to recapture that feeling and the energy from the very base they hose on a regular basis.

From steamrolling their Asset store devs with a velvet ropeline Madness Sale, to broken promise of a decent up to date GUI system in 3.x seems UT has gotten greedy and unappreciative of the users that built them. They'll learn the hard way...same as all the other 'darlings of the business world', don't bite the hand that feeds you.

45. goat

goat

Thank's right. So first upgrade to Pro and get your voucher; then use the voucher to pay for $200 of the cost for one of the other platform licenses.

46. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

...As long as you do it within 12 months. After that it expires, which is not cool.

--Eric

47. Khyrid

Khyrid

I don't know if they are being greedy, they have restrictions and requirements they have to meet. I think they are just under pressure. I hope they pull through and figure something out, I really don't look forward to having to work in UDK again, Epic are aliens, their way is highly unusual.

48. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why is that uncool? Since when do vouchers not come with an expiry date?

Edit: I can see why people are annoyed (I too have been hainging out for the GUI upgrade I was told would come as a 3.x for which my studio owns a number of Pro licenses) but some of the complaints here aren't really relevant. It looks to me like people are annoyed, so they're looking for further issues to point fingers at.

Edit edit: The above edit actually wasn't referring to Eric's comment, I'm talking about the tech stuff.

49. goat

goat

What does this part mean? : "From steamrolling their Asset store devs with a velvet ropeline Madness Sale"

I've appreciated the asset price reductions and have used then to add features that Unity lacks or charges too much for.

50. peter_on

peter_on

it's an accounting nightmare to extend beyond a financial years, prefer if they gave me the discount upfront.
    Judging by the expiry dates of the voucher, we could expect 5.x pre-order somewhere around March 2013 again ?