Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

That sounds great! I'll wait on purchasing any pro licenses then.

2. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Well I'm really happy I never bought the pro versions earlier this year. I was really close to biting, but I really haven't used any of the pro features yet. I want to, but there are other things on the list. Follow the advice: don't upgrade till you need a feature.

DX11, the animation system and the new UI system should be valuable additions. Although I've made due with OnGUI and recently bought NGUI (couldn't resist the sale!).

Can't wait to dive into the pro version though, now to make a decision to pre-order or not....?

3. J_P_

J_P_

And is there any word on whether Unity 3 will continue to see support for iOS6?

4. simone007

simone007

+1, Shadows for mobile is the minimum requirement. All other imporvements are not useful for me now

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Shadows for mobile are in Unity 4.

6. Per

Per

What happened to the GUI updates that were originally announced for the 3 cycle?

7. George Foot

George Foot

You don't need to hold off on purchasing pro licenses - as I understand it, if you preorder 4.0 pro then you'll get 3.5 pro in the meantime.

8. pivotraze

pivotraze

What I really want to know is:

How many, if any, of these new features are not available to Unity Free users? I want to buy pro but it is way out of my budget. What features will I be restricted from? :)

9. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Awesome.

Out of curiosity, previous mobile licenses won't be rendered obsolete, or disabled, right? I'd like to finish/publish my current game to mobile before I upgrade to 4.0...this is possible, right?

10. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

http://unity3d.com/?unity4 doesn't work for me - I get a progress bar that doesn't finish (gets about 85% done then stops) and a broken image outline overlayed on top of the grey background + character.

Win 7 64 + Chrome.

11. janpec

janpec

Are upgraded shadows also for desktop (no artifacts)?

BTW: Really surprising news to me for Linux, looking forward for DX11 and animation system.

12. outtoplay

outtoplay

UT has yet to deliver on promises of 3.0 Who's up for doling out more cash for 4.0 (which still doesn't seem to offer a modern GUI system.

sad and disappointing

13. echtolion

echtolion

What features does the DX11 addition bring us?
    How many of these features will be compliant with OpenGL aswell?

14. J_P_

J_P_

Same, but OSX + chrome

15. pivotraze

pivotraze

Same, again, but Win7 64bit and Opera 12

I do have to say I'm disappointed I won't be able to use the editor on Linux, still, but am profusely happy I can support any Linux users! :)

16. Tiles

Tiles

Yeah, what happened to the promised GUI solution that was promised for 3.5?

17. MattCarr

MattCarr

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

AAA graphics with AAA upgrade pricing :(

All I need is iOS upgrade

19. pivotraze

pivotraze

We aren't paying anywhere near $700k :)

20. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Be careful when upgrading to 4.x license....

It looks like if you don't upgrade all of your 3.x licenses at once, you're losing them and ability to upgrade later....

Fx, If you have Unity Free + iOS Basic + Android Basic. You'll need to upgrade both at the same time. If you upgrade to iOS Basic 4.x only, your Android Basic license will be gone (both 3.x access, 4.x upgrade option)...

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Twist my arm would you :p

But texture stuff would be nice for bigger, more interesting worlds too. Not as essential as shadows, but still very nice. Here is hoping we can scale shadow quality right down.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  22. wlad_s

wlad_s

Great news.

I wonder what does "bent normals" mean, regarding the news about Shuriken. What would be the use of that feature? Something regarding AO?

23. Metron

Metron

wtf... to upgrade my licenses I have to pay $2700... 2x 3.5 pro with ios + android... you are kidding me! That's $1350 per seat for me (me and my graphic artist to whom I paid a version as a bonus payment for the work he did for me)...

The 2.x to 3.x update did cost me $600 for my Unity Pro 2.x with iPhone Basic to Unity Pro 3.x with iPhone... now the upgrade price has more than doubled!!!

24. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

25. kenlem

kenlem

Shadows will be Pro on iOS, right?

26. TehWut

TehWut

I knew there was something fishy behind the 3.5 free license giveaway! :p

27. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

But NO "texture streaming" :(

28. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

Thanks Matt, also good to know I'm not the only person in Brisbane still awake because of a game engine announcement, haha.

Ooh, they used an image of my game for the flash stuff. And ski safari too, brizzy devs are clearly awesome. :)

29. J_P_

J_P_

Yeah, looks like I won't get a chance to use my Android license haha :(

30. pivotraze

pivotraze

And will we be getting hardware cursor textures?

31. jcarpay

jcarpay

Linux? What about supporting Windows 8 metro apps?
    Not so happy with the price increase :(

32. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

That's $200 on your next purchase in the store.

33. Morning

Morning

Didn't watch the videos as I can't right now, but can anyone tell. Can you use the state machine for more than just animation?

34. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Any idea what the pricing will be to upgrade?

35. Hoff

Hoff

When will the bugs and severe performance issues be fixed in the current version?

36. HolBol

HolBol

There's a price increase?

37. kenlem

kenlem

It's earlier in the this thread and on store. Hang on to your hat.

38. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes.

39. Tseng

Tseng

I hope you are just kidding here.

New/fast GUI was promised for 3.x releases and was postponed several times and unless 3.x > 4.x upgrades are free, as this basically rendered the current GUI system useless for anything that you could use for mobiles.

I've already stopped work on the GUI on my next project and did do other parts of the game until you finally finished the new UI and now you want me to pay another $500 (Basic Mobile licenses) for a feature which was supposed to be released with 3.5 release?

40. MattCarr

MattCarr

Lol, yeah I keep standing up to go to sleep and then I worry that Unity will ask me to take down the YouTube video while I'm sleeping or I'll miss something equally as important.

Congratulations on Ski Safari by the way. I know we don't know each other yet, but up until around a week ago I worked as Lead Programmer on 3D virtual reality simulation software with some guys you might know (e.g. Glen Harris, Geoff Suttor and others from Krome/THQ/CA/*). Now I'm having a crack at full-time South East Games indie development :). Hope I can manage a small sliver of a taste of the success you guys have had with one of the projects I'm awake all hours working on ;).

41. Ricks

Ricks

For a 4.0 upgrade I expected at least normal/parallax mapped terrain, and the new GUI system which was announced long ago - not just "optimisations in GUI performance"... And to be honest this animation system also isn't that new either. Mixamo provides the exact same service for years. And if you use blender you can manually move rigs to any other characters you wish. How is this "bound" by a single character, as claimed in the video?...

That said, it's still nice to see progress in development of the engine. Obviously UT has their own priorities in what to develop next and I respect that, because they deliver a stable and user friendly product in the end, as always.

What I would love to see is a basic A* library for Unity Free users. Just the algorithm ready to use with an interface having a list of positions in 3d space as well as input if a path could be found or not. Would be nice to have in the API at least.

42. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Yeah, but I wish upgrades weren't tied... :(

Upgrading what I have now (Unity Pro + iOS Android Basic) costs 1350 (whole new price of that set is $2300 btw) and I'll end up with a $200 voucher which I must use for another purchase in 6 months... For that kind upgrade I should be able to do something like that:

- Upgrade Unity Pro iOS Basic to 4.x
    - Get $200 voucher
    - Upgrade to Android Basic 4.x using voucher + $50

But since I have to upgrade all at the same time, that's not possible...

43. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay so its 850x2. I really wish unity would not require unity pro to use IOS pro. Glad I never bought android pro

44. HolBol

HolBol

And I also assume this renders all the mobile license upgrades that were given out free earlier this year completely obselete. I never even had the chance to use them :S.

45. byerdelen

byerdelen

The non-upgrade price license is a good price as it was before. Unity is such an awesome engine with awesome-professional people working inside and it worths that price. When I bought my licenses for the first time, I felt it worths more even(my idea). I haven't buy the Android add-on yet and I may buy with Unity 4. But upgrade price is not fair, you should be good to your loyal customers. I know it is hard for you to change the given company decisions but can't you consider the upgrade pricing again?

46. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

You can turn off asset store searches if you don't want them in your view.

47. J_P_

J_P_

This. I feel like I'm paying for so many features I never use.

48. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

All 3.x licenses are still valid.

49. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

I'd really like to know if this is true. I'm only a few months away from my first mobile release(hopefully), and I really would rather not upgrade to a whole new license before I release it...

**Edit** Never mind...thanks Angry Ant! :D

50. andorov

andorov

I clicked "Upgrade and Update" but I still see $1500 listed for Unity Pro. Other screenshots on this forum clearly show $850 :/ Wah!