Search Unity

Finally Introducing- MaK: Multiplayer, Hybrid Action, Physics Sandbox and Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

A Quick Intro:
    Hi, we're Verge Game Studio, a handful of friends who put their careers on hold to take a crack at game development.

With our first project, MaK, we're setting out to capture the feeling of exploring something really new. We also set out to make something intensely fun. To that end, we're building a unique world with its own laws of physics and we're serving up the player with set of freeform building blocks to build structures and functional contraptions. At its core MaK is a physics sandbox with tethers, rockets, explosives, teleportation, relative gravity and potentially unlimited room for creativity.

The gameplay comes from a variety of fun game modes that we're wrapping around this sandbox. From single player mind benders to competitive multiplayer modes like our recently implemented 'Bombing Run' style game, the weird physics and contraption building add an element of unpredictable mayhem to the proceedings.
    ~

Screenshots:

Concept Illustrations:

Thanks for looking, and we will be adding much more very soon!

Various links:
    www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/uu8a3
    www.vergegamestudio.com
    www.facebook.com/vergegamestudio

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Looks awesome :) Love to see a vid

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Alismuffin, we are working on it!

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Just a note: all those screenshots are real and in game, while running 4 players in Split-Screen mode, on an HP Laptop :D
    Xbox controllers + wireless dongle works great for multiplayer testing!

5. TehWut

TehWut

WOW. Those are truly amazing. And I might say that a lot, but now I actually mean those are truly amazing!

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks much! So much more coming soon, videos and gameplay and so forth. :)

7. Jolon

Jolon

Gorgeous work.

I was working with some folks on using round game worlds as levels, and we ran into a lot of interesting math problems.

Love your visuals though. Great lighting too. Can't wait to see how this progresses!

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Jolon, compliments much appreciated :)

The non-uniform gravity was quite a challenge- and in fact it's even more than just "round", just about any shape works, even a Mobius Strip!

9. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Amazing Graphics, Can't wait to see it in action, it Looks complicated to play. What platforms are you aiming for?

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Sean! In regards to complexity, one of our major goals is fluid gameplay and really intuitive controls. We're putting a lot of effort into this.

Honestly we are aiming for each and every platform out there. That sounds ridiculously ambitious, and many others have said it- but we don't back down from a challenge. Heck, the crazy multi-world gravity system alone was quite a project, and we didn't do all that for nothing! >)

11. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

wow what a truly unique style. I have never seen anything like this before. One of the levels from the screen shot kind of reminds
    me of mario galaxy. beautiful

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Mario Galaxy did have some conceptual input on the game, especially in terms of "multiple worlds" and gravity. Good catch!

13. nharde20

nharde20

Looks very interesting! The art style is sexy and I can't wait to see some gameplay footage.

14. JOHNMCLAY

JOHNMCLAY

That looks fantastic. Loving the art-style!

I can't wait to see a video! :D

15. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

the thumb is up....on both hands!

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks folks! We've been hard at work...er, "working" toward a full gameplay video, I think you are going to like it... !

17. TheAll

TheAll

Love the art style! Nice work man. Waiting for a video of some gameplay now. lol.

18. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

Just... Awesome.