Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

BallBot: Squares stole my girlfriend

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Quantum Chaos, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Quantum Chaos

Quantum Chaos

BallBot: Squares stole my girlfriend
    is spatial arcade/puzzle game for iPad we've been developing for last couple of months.
    It's based on classic "snake" game, but expanded to 3 dimensions.

Play BallBot (free version)

BallBot on AppStore

Updates and news about BallBot on twitter

Keyboard Controls (added specially for web-build):
    • WSAD / Arrow keys - movement
    • Q / E - orbit camera

On-screen controls still work, too. But it's easier to use keyboard on PC.

Feedback will be appreciated.

There's no storyline in this version, but it will be present in full version.

UPDATE 21.06.2012:

FIXES
    • camera rotation during game play
    • some gui fixes
    • modules no longer destroyed during drop
    • platforms no longer fly to outer space
    • eye rotation on ramp fixed
    • no more death during teleport
    • and many small fixes

CHANGES
    • destination selection allowed in multidirectional teleports
    • multiple respawn points allowed
    • gui enchancment
    • visual enchancment on all levels
    • new arcade level
    • added new hints
    • 0 level fixed

UPDATE 10.06.2012:
    You can now move 2 times faster if you hold down direction key (button).
    Please, clear caches in your browser to see new build by pressing Ctrl+F5 while being at webbuild page.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Dreeka

Dreeka

I have tried your game, and I like it. The game should be a little faster, or the player should have the ability to increase/decrease movement speed.

3. Acumen

Acumen

Hey there, since you specifically asked for feedback, here goes a little list. Please keep in mind, I'm not trying to be harsh, just being realistic considering the huge amount of games on the appstore, keeping their quality and audience in mind.

My first thought was: "Mh, this game is really grey :eek:"

While I kinda like neat and tidy game styles, I think you could push it much more.
    Maybe in the direction of the portal map editor:
    http://techgage.com/images/news/portal_2_map_editor_01_thumb.jpg
    Some well balanced color will do wonders, the color contrast is really harsh, atm.
    I tried some quick variations to see how the powerups and items could pop much much better, since they're totally lost in all of the greyness at the moment:
    http://acumen-design.de/temp/ball_blast_paintover1.jpg

I love love these types of games but like Dreeka said, the speed is sooo tiring. I really had to push myself to make it through the first level. The camera switching mechanic is awesome, but the speed issue even is such a hurdle for me, that I didn't even want to start level 2. Which seems quite problematic for a game like this.

Also that gui is huuuuuge, I can't imagine that it's working to your favor on an actual device. And it is grey as welllll. So much grey. It really can be a stylistic decision to use only certain limiting colors, but you should use different shades then.

I'm a huge fan of stylized/minimalistic games and gameplay like yours seem to be heading in, but I feel that it is nowhere near the level of polishment that you should put it out on the market in it's current state. There's sooo much fricking potential if you just pulled a little here and pushed a little there, but at the moment, you'd be shooting yourself in the knee if you released it as it is.

That sounds really harsh I know, but you have such a great base already, it's just a matter of one extra month and you'd have a product that would be UBERcool ! You have the elements and items looking really good already. It's just a matter of getting the gui right and updating these level textures. It willd be totally worth it, if you go the extramile !

Whatever way you choose (which shall be release, I guess, considering you're already in the showcase section) I wish you best of luck with this and future games !
    Just show your progress earlier in here, so people can give you feedback when you need it, while being in production mode :)
    Cheers !

4. Lex-DRL

Lex-DRL

Hey guys, I'm the one responsible for all assets in this game.

Acumen,
    Thank you very much for such a detailed feedback. Fresh look is what we really need now.
    I have notified our project manager about your message, he'll answer here as soon as he can. But I have to mention, the next 3 days are holidays, and he may be too afk. So please don't be disappointed if he won't answer today/tommorow. We appreciate your feedback anyway, even if we can't give you full response right now.

What I can tell now is you both guys are damn right about movement speed. This is what our team was arguing about, but we haven't came to the solution and thought that it would be better to let players decide.

Dreeka,
    Good idea! We had the same idea during our argue, but we weren't sure that it's the best solution of this problem. But now I think, it is.

P.S.: web-build is updated. You can now move up to 4 times faster if you hold down movement button. There's no tutorial about that though. We'll add an option to let player choose how fast he wants to move while holding down direction button.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  5. TehWut

TehWut

3D snake? wow that is a really cool concept wish I thought of that. I played the game, and it does look very nice, don't get me wrong, but it is just a little bit bland. And the speed thing also...otherwise, I do believe that this is a good game in the making.

6. Ch123ad

Ch123ad

It looks awesome!!! I love how you took the old snake and converted into a Cyber-version. At first It was taking too long to get to the destination but then I found out how to make it go fast :D Love it!

7. Dreeka

Dreeka

With the updated speed, it is really awsome now.
    Also, Acumen is right about the colors. The game is too grey at the moment.

8. Quantum Chaos

Quantum Chaos

Thank you all for the feedback, it really helped us gain some perspective.
    For now we're going to spend some time implementing visual enhancements.

Special thanks to Acumen, amazing post and amazing ideas.
    I think we're going to implement a design from your paintover, if you don't mind.

We will be updating this thread to show progress. Feedback, as always, will be greatly appreciated =)

9. Lex-DRL

Lex-DRL

We just made a major update. Check the web build (link is in the 1st post).

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm in a similar boat to Acumen, I only kept playing past level 1 because I wanted to be able to give some constructive criticism, not because I was having fun.

My suggestions:

- Bring the module things into it sooner. I almost gave up before I had even seen one. All that stuff about the camera controls isn't really that necessary so early.
    - Start with levels that are much smaller, you should be able to finish the first few levels in a minute or so. You don't need to even introduce the ramps in the first level, just 3 modules and an exit would be great.
    - What is the challenge supposed to be? Timing? Exploration? Puzzle? I didn't play long enough to find out, it should be obvious much sooner.
    - If its primarily puzzles then show a simple puzzle within the 2-3rd level. If its primarily timing give them enough modules so they have to play it like snake. If its exploration ... well that's a much harder ask ... I don't have any ideas for that one.
    - As mentioned its too slow!

The look is great, and the concept is "neat", but it definitely needs some work on the playability.

- John A

PS I fall for this trap myself all the time. I enjoy playing my games, but there's often a large barrier to entry. My suggestion tell your friends about this game you like, but don't tell them you made it ... do you have to fight them to get the phone back? Are they playing it on their computer the next time you see them?

11. MasterDum

MasterDum

JohnnyA,
    I agree about is that first level is very big and module necessary set earlier.But here ramps should be.

This is game - hybrid arcade and puzzle.There is no rigid boundaries here.

You do not have enough current acceleration move?

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Its not about being rigid, its about making it clear to the player what to expect. You can be action and puzzle, but you need to pose a challenge, I felt like I was walking around aimlessly. I was hit with pages of instructions, which I didn't need. I moved the camera once to see what it did, but the default camera was fine.

EDIT: Not saying don't have advanced camera controls, I'm saying introduce the instructions for them later.

13. Acumen

Acumen

Just saw the updated screenshots.
    I'm amazed. To be honest I. didnt expect you guys would have the motivation to go the extramile. Boy was I wrong.
    That new stuff looks mighty awesome. If you overhauled the gui in the same quality, I salute you !
    Chapeau!!!
    Looking forward to testing the new webplayer :)

@MasterDum - quite an honor you took some crits to heart, for real. you did wonders to your game !

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  14. MasterDum

MasterDum

JohnnyA,
    probably because in game no now story. But this is will later. I think it will help.
    We think to make a instructions later.

Acumen
    thank you for your good idea.It helped us a lot.

15. Quantum Chaos

Quantum Chaos

Acumen,
    in current version interface design is still old, but we're looking into spicing it up.
    There also will be score system in new update.

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

A story will make it very different, any ideas on what the story is going to be about?!?

17. Quantum Chaos

Quantum Chaos

JohnnyA,
    name of the game gives a hint about story ;)

18. Quantum Chaos

Quantum Chaos

At last, free version of ballbot is on AppStore. Yeah, we're slowpokes of epic proportion.
    (Actually we've been busy with another unity project for PC).