Search Unity

Racing Game Kit - Complete Toolset for creating Super Cool Racing Games

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Yusuf-AKDAG, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Racing Mechanics. Out of the box.

Great news! You don't have to worry about racing mechanics anymore. Racing Game Kit is one of the most complete tool-set around. It provides many configurable options for creating really cool racing games, and very quickly! RGK has easy to configure options, customizable GUI and many helper editor components.

No Time Consuming Workflows

With a few clicks you can rig your scene as a race track. Racing Game Kit editors were created for a faster and flawless racing game creation process. Artist friendly inspectors and a organized structure will save your project tons of time for better racing game development experience.

What Is the Racing Game Kit?

Racing Game Kit is a tool set to help developers to create racing games with ease. It is quick and painless to setup. RGK will save your project hours of development time. RGK is designed to be used with the Unity3D Game Engine and is completely written in C#.

Create Races That You Want

Racing Game Kit supports various race types for your projects. Just choose what style of racing you want to create... And you're done! Race Manager handles everything about the race such as the total race time, lap times for each racer including the player, and the racer’s distance to the finish line. Racing Game Kit also provides a preconfigured UI component provides this information to your players. With the provided UI interface you can pull off fancy looking UI’s that work with the Race Manager.

What can I do with Racing Game Kit?

You can create almost any type of racing game like:

• Sprint (long distance run)
    • Circuit (lap based run)
    • Time Trial (checkpoint based run)
    • Knock Out Circuit (last placing player is kicked out)
    These type of races are planned for future a release:

• Knock Out Time Trial (last player kicks out but based on time)
    • Rally (WRC Rules)
    • Checkpoint Hunt (Race Checkpoint to checkpoint, first to check point receives points,player with the most amount of checkpoints wins)
    • Capture The Flag
    Currently Racing Game Kit supports only wheeled vehicles and boats.
    Please check out Roadmap page about more detailed future development plans

Intelligent AI for Better Racing Experience

Racing Game Kit AI is created for a competitive experience with AI and human players. With performance optimized sensors and many configurable AI options, players will have to intelligently out think the AI to beat their opponents. With help from smart waypoints, you can define brake points, best race lines and advantage points for your AI. With Skill, Behavior, and dynamically changing Stress level variables, you can add more challenges and and adjust the smartness for each AI. Also with the added steering and crash avoidance mechanics, they will act, overtake or brake just as a human player would.

Documentation
    More then 50pages PDF documentation that explains everything with examples. You can download manual (Some sections not published yet) and preview what is inside the Racing Game Kit! Check out "Creating a Racing Game" topic and see how easy to create one!

Free version now available!
    Download your copy and see yourself that how awesome the RGK Toolset is!

More Information
    You can find more information about Racing Game Kit for Unity3D at;
    http://www.unityracingkit.com

also join us at Facebook ;
    http://www.facebook.com/RacingGameKit

and follow us at Twitter ;
    http://twitter.com/RacingGameKit

Webplayers Demos ;

Removed because updating demos.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

[reserved]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I've been testing this product for a while now. It's very impressive and as an artist with very little knowlage of programming it is a life saver, especially for prototyping my racing lines to see if I need to make any changes to my tracks layout. Everything feels very nice and fluid and setting up tracks is a breeze and actually quite enjoyable. Well written documentation as well that's perfect for the layman looking for a straight to the point explanation of how something in your kit works. Can't wait to see how this kit improves over the future!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. Taigo

Taigo

Totally worth it!

6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

And now the obligatory
    "is this also working with IOS with an acceptable performance?"
    question.
    ;)

7. Skeleton

Skeleton

wow this is very impressive... this kit looks like an must have for racing fans.. fantastic work ... i think this is completly working on mobile devices.. i buy this thanks for this very nice product man. fantastic preformance on mobile devices (Android at me)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Thank you for kind words...

M_Stolley, it is IOS and Android compatible.And performance is as it should be. But I haven't tested it on iPhone yet.

I'll have a test app soon for both versions.

9. Slipangle

Slipangle

Great work! This is exactly what we're looking for!
    Just a quick question regarding the free/demo version: You mention only Sprint mode is available. It's probably just a terminology issue, but does it translate to "point-to-point" racing? We're experimenting with a hillclimb track :)

10. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Yes indeed. Its "point-to-point" racing as you said.. No laps, first come win :D

11. Roachie

Roachie

Looks awesome. How hard to adapt it to something like a space racer game ?

12. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Out of box, you can't control 2 axis. It is possible to add, but requires some work.
    Not in my list yet. But I'll reconsider for my roadmap.. :)

13. Slipangle

Slipangle

Just a quick question... when i export/build either the demo content or my own creation to WebPlayer or PC, nothing works... countdown doesn't start and it just stands there. Inside Unity it all works. Is this a limitation from the demo version or am I doing something noob-wrong?

14. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Hello Slipangle, thanks for feedback.
    This is not limitation, unfortunately a bug causes that behavior.

Currently working on better camera. In next build this will be corrected.

How urgent your build?

15. Slipangle

Slipangle

Hi there,
    It's not urgent, there's still a lot to do before making an alpha version so no worries.

Thanks for the prompt answer :)

16. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Yeah...the build issue is definitely camera related. Output log says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" for the camera....

Anyways, will there be a way to allow us to have different selections of cars without having multiple scenes per car? By this I mean, will there be any ability to change the prefab it uses via a script or is this something that I can only do if I purchase the source? $150 is a lot to spend for the "Pro" version if I can't allow the players to select different cars before heading to the track.

17. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Hi Z31NA2T,
    Sure you can chance the vehicles. This build was a preview and i wanted to show the progress.

I'll provide more info and also an example when its complete ;)

18. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Awesome! I'll definitely be buying it when complete.

19. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Thanks ;)
    And ProAI webplayer preview is available. They'll race between themselves. Just watch them..

And please feedback. Link available at first post ;)

20. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

Looks excellent!

21. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Thanks mate :)

22. nukeD

nukeD

I'll be getting it the moment its ready! will it be compatible with Edy's? and playMaker?
    Really inspiring work!

23. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Thank you clandestine,
    Yes, its almost done.
    I dont know much about playmaker since its design tool that i never would use as a coder, never considered that. I'll check it out but cant promise about this one.
    About Edy's, i tried to contact author when i started AI integration, but got not response. So I dropped this feature down to bottom.
    But this may change if many users request this feature... :)

24. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot for the reply Yusuf! No integration with Edy's means its completely incompatible, or that it would be more complicated (for a designer) to setup? As long as there aren't any conflicting scripts (or other scary for a designer coder stuff) i believe PlayMaker will play nice!

Godspeed!

25. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Edy is not compatible, i have to develop integration code for it. But I don't have Edy vehicle code. :)

About playmaker; while you working with RGK, you dont have to code anything. Al tasks done by RGK Editors. I dont know what you expecting with playmaker support. :S

26. nukeD

nukeD

I use PlayMaker for menus, some basic interactions (switch skyboxes or a texture, animate a model, etc. ) generally nothing to do with Ai or racing physics

27. WolfGames

WolfGames

Edy code is better...

28. Mishaps

Mishaps

Any thoughts on NGUI integration for the UI?

29. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

When Unity Car 2 is released, will this retain its compatibility?

30. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

mishaps, I provide basic UI with RGK. But you create and use your own UI any component that you prefer. Just you have to implement iRGKUI interface for UI to Race Manager communication.

Racing Game Kit will support every version of UnityCar. Actually, i may add support before UnityCar 2 Release ;)

This is not subject of this thread!

31. Pulov

Pulov

Hi

It would be interesting if Edy physycs where supported out ob the box. I own the package and I think they're good enough to work with.

Your racing AI certainly looks interesting as in the demo cars behave quite nicely and dont slow down dramatically in curves etc....

I only tested slightly your demo scene, but it only cames with one race mode right?? at least in the combo box of the race manager I could not find the others you mention in the feature, I assume this is a limitation of the demo or so.

32. Slipangle

Slipangle

Anyway is there a quick workaround? Or is the next release imminent?

33. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Thanks Pulov,
    You're able to set this brake values on corners. This is main tweak for ai actually. They're trying to slow down to this speed values. I'm saying "trying" because you can't slow down a car 200 to 60 in 5 meters. Since its realistically accurate car code, they have to slow down carefully. All this values must be tested by designer ;)

The free edition limited to sprint, main cause of free edition showing how powerful of my editors. You don't have to touch any code while rigging your scene. Indie and Pro versions will have all available modes.

I'm about to create new package. Probably we're having it tomorrow ;)

34. Jolon

Jolon

Hi. This is a wonderful toolset, thank you, I'm testing the free version.

One hint would be to please make the download a zip. I doubt it saves more time than the frustration it creates for your users to go hunt down a utility for either platform which extracts .7z

In your store, the Pro versions all say 'coming soon' -- do you have an approximate time-frame for when soon might be? How active is the development?

Don't want to get dependent on it unless the features will be implemented shortly.. But happy to do so then pay asap for the features of pro.

One last question: why not use the asset store?

Thanks!

35. bravery

bravery

Hello Yusuf,

Really nice kit, but I was wondering how muc are you planning to improve it, like it still miss some important features of today racing games for example:

1- Having multiple camera views during the game (on camera fom top, anothe camera from insdie, third one from 45 degree angle ...).
    2- Nitras effect (when you press the buttom in your keyboard the can will become very speed, and there will be some nice screen effect that give the feeling of you have reach the highest speed).
    3- Different pickup to give you differnt abilites, and powerups.
    4- Can Fight abilites, where a car can thru bumps, or maybe fire weapons like fire in other car, or maybe release some ice or oil that make other cars (in behind) lose control, or maybe get a drill to attack the beside cars, etc.

sorry for my bad english, but this video can show somthing of what I mean to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVuVhhgs6pU

Finally keep up the good work.

36. Z31NA2T

Z31NA2T

1. I'm sure he will allow different views (as UnityCar does....) I can't speak on this directly obviously.
    2. Nitrous*...and this is something that would come from YOU being the game developer (using UnityCar modified?). Don't expect people to make a game kit that is the entire game....its still going to require you to do work to make it your own game, these kits you see on here are merely a starting point.
    3. See 2. Also, real racing games don't have "pickups/powerups" See: Forza, GT5, DIRT, etc....
    4. See 2. Also, real racing games don't have "fight abilities" See: Forza, GT5, DIRT, etc.....

This is my .02 on these questions you asked, we'll have to see what the OP says....

37. Mishaps

Mishaps

Sounds good for the UI - an easy way to link it up to your own one is great and very helpful.
    BTW the NGUI guy did a free version specifically for ppl like yourself to integrate and distribute with their own products. It's also the top seller on the asset store so a few ppl are using it I guess. We use it for all our games so obviously would be a benefit to have it already in your kit. cheers.

38. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Sorry for delayed reply, been busy with kit. My Answers below;

Thank you Jolon, I'm glad you like the kit,
    It was a suggestion from a Mac user. I'll make it zip file next time.
    Development is active and I'm working on every night. Pro version is %98 done i can say ;) So max 2 weeks then it will be ready..
    It been long then i promised at my website before, but I wanted to provide really good AI for pro users.

About Asset Store, unfortunately, Asset Store Agreement doesn't allow my licensing scheme. RGK requires online activation per computer, and Asset Store does not allow protect my intellectual property. (sad but true). As you know, many other developer took back their products from Asset Store (Sorry, can't tell names because they may not be subject of this conversation ;) )

Thank you bravery,
    There are lots of stuff I want to add to kit. You can check em at RoadMap page : http://www.unityracingkit.com/index.php/support/roadmap/
    - Multiple camera views are on the way, but also I'm providing "camera angle" property on new camera script. So you can change it as you like depend your game. New demo will have some good example of that. Also since I'm providing a camera interface for programmers named iRGKCamera, you can write your camera script and customize it as much as you want ;)
    - Nitro, pickup and fight abilites are game design specific features. I may have them for future but not in short term plans.

Totally agree with you at this points ;)

I'll check it out NGUI after v1 release. ;)

Will update with more progress updates. Stay Tuned and don't forget to follow me at twitter ;)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  39. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Hello Everyone,
    I just updated Racing Game Kit Free Edition with new features included new camera component and few important fixes.
    You can use Page Up, Page Down, End and Home keys for camera navigation.
    Update details available here : http://www.unityracingkit.com/index.php/support/releasenotes/ and 2nd post of this thread.

You can download it from RGK Store http://www.unityracingkit.com/index.php/store/

Also RGK ProAI Preview updated with new camera controls. Check it out at http://ow.ly/bAHWH

Also Terms and Conditions document updated with some legal notices. Take a look at that (included download package)

Don't hesitate about your feedback ;)

Cheers,
    Yusuf

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  40. gunga

gunga

Nice Yusuf, very nice!

Any chance of a demo with the standard AI, i know there's the free version to play with but I'd like to compare the pro AI with the standard in that same demo scene car set up you have.

41. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Hi gunga, Thanks!
    Do you mean webplayer demo? Because RGK Free package contains BasicAI (that you called standard). And they're racing on same track too. But I haven't rigged that yellow Clio for BasicAI. This would good idea indeed.

Cheers.

42. gunga

gunga

Yes I mean a BasicAI webplayer demo. :)

43. gunga

gunga

Is the demo version compatible with UnityCar as I'm struggling to get it working, no documentation you see. :p

Also Yusuf, have you considered automatically creating the track markers from EasyRoads3d data or is it already possible?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  44. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

No, BasicAI not compatible with UnityCar as feature table shows on www.unityracingkit.com.
    About documentation, RGK Vehicle wasn't complete when I release documentation. It's done and I'm continueing complete the docs with current vehicle code and AI. It will be done before Pro version release.

About EasyRoads, I'm keep in touch with Raoul about it. He's working on v3 and probably we'll have integration with v3. Not only markers, I want create waypoints with two clicks as Select Road > Generate Waypoints simplicity. But it will not in v1 release package.

45. gunga

gunga

Oh yeah, i see now. I've already spent money of UnityCar, Edy's vehicle physics, EasyRoads3D and Pro Racing AI so i'll have to think about the pro version.

46. Shigidy

Shigidy

This product looks really promising. The only thing I would really want that you haven't really implemented is that you make a great tutorial series that will teach you how to make a racing game step by step. If you could possibly do this I would buy the most expensive option just to help you out. I'm just very new, but want to make my own game.
    Also when I start the demo scene, the cars just fall through the ground. Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Also, I think two great gametypes to add would be cat and mouse and a virus zombie game, which if you don't know what that is, it is basically tag that eventually makes everybody a zombie. Or any other type of team racing game. Also have you seen Dirt Showdown. They have cars come at each other on a elevated area and they try to knock each other off the edges. That would be awesome gametype. Could you possibly set up a drag racing gametype. Especially one where you could actually go before the light and essentially redlight and negate the run. If you could have all these features you would have the best product out there by far. I think a team based gametypes are the best for pure fun. Like in shooters, people like being part of a team. If you could possbily make a new team based gametype you could have something nobody has seen before would be the best. Anyways I hope you could do some of these ideas.

Some other things I would like for you to add are just extras. Like I would love to have a particle system so when you see two cars hit, you see sparks fly and perhaps see smoke if the engine gets damaged. Also I would to see some type of fireworks, like when I finish the race. Also could you possibly have a garage area, where I could paint the cars and make them unique.

I also have an idea for the A.I. Could you possbilby make a "cops" A.I. Where they chase you and try and knock you out.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  47. TriplePAF

TriplePAF

I'm also interested in the integration with Edy's Vehicle Physics. How difficult would it be to integrate this with the sourcecode version? The framework uses also like UnityCar for keyboard input values from -1 to 1.

Peter.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  48. WolfGames

WolfGames

i'm too. i think you must add support..

49. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Hi Shigidy,
    Sorry, I was busy with code, just missed your answer. Sure I'll add video tutorials soon and i'll try explain every feature in RGK. Just matter of time.

About RaceTypes, Drag indeed would easy with Spirit, but with some modifications. I'l check it out. I'm going to add "start light" example too.
    But other type of races, since RGK uses Waypoints, showdown like arena or destruction derby games might not possible to do.

But the particle stuff or fireworks, and garage area and paint stuff are totally game design stuff. I'm building rest, but package is designers work, Am i wrong?

Hi Peter, I'm going to release v1.0 soon and will start working on v1.1 immediately, Edy,s is my first priority for 1.1
    I'll. ;)

50. Alex_V

Alex_V

(Noob question maybe): How can we change the vehicle included in the demo?
    And more importantly how can we change the physics script? I've already got a modified Cartutorial physics script but whenever I apply it either everything stops working, or nothing happens.