Unity Community

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

1. Location
    Montana
    A slight mythos oddity to your game: This isn't Slenderman.

I'm assuming, by the look of your 3D Model of Slenderman, that you are basing it off of the "Marble Hornets" series, in some way. The problem is... that isn't Slenderman. Rather, it's a new creature by the name of "The Operator."

Slenderman has tentacles:

The Operator, however, does not:

Quote Originally Posted by MarbleHornetsWiki
    • The Operator has no tentacles, as the original Slender Man mythos had.
    • It is not known that the Operator stalks children, unlike Slender Man.
    • The Slender Man does not cause distortion in photos or videos.
    While this isn't really majorly important to the background of this game, just a fun thing I thought I would point out

Keep the updates going! I love this!

Sources:
    http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/slender-man
    http://marblehornets.wikidot.com/the-operator

There are also various entries in the "Marble Hornets" series that hardens this. haha
    PROUD user of Boo

Seafire Software
    http://www.codydostal.info
    The Island of HABIT: Slenderman - Under... Re-Construction, shall we say?
    Specs: 8GB RAM, 2.3GHz Intel i3-2350M, Intel HD 3000, 1600x900 17.3" LED Screen

2. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowNinja View Post
    will you make a playable demo of your new updates ?
    Sure, I can do that. But I'm working on a few more things as well; I don't know if I should wait for that to be finished or not.

My waypoint teleport thing works when it's confined to a single height, but I'm wondering if I might be able to find a way to make it so that the waypoints aren't needed. The problem with the current way I'm doing it is that with the full map, it's going to take a long time to get waypoints placed everywhere that's needed, especially in the thick of the trees.

So what I'm thinking about doing is this: I don't need to worry about doing things too efficiently since the only colliders moving around are the player and SM. What I was thinking of doing is calculating the potential area for teleportation to occur, then sending an invisible collider out to a random spot within that area and testing to see if it's intersecting anything solid or is in an otherwise illegal position (within the player's facing, or within a certain distance of the player, for example). The collider's position shifts only when it needs to find a new teleport spot, then keeps shifting each frame until it finds a legal spot, at which point SM teleports there.

I'm pretty sure that colliders don't actually move until the next update, so it'd have to run this check each update until a legal spot is found, but considering how many updates there are in a second, chances are a legal point can be found in that time without trouble.

If the system works, waypoints would no longer be necessary; it would essentially generate its own "waypoints" on the fly. It'd be horribly inefficient, and a true pathfinding system would be much better, but it'd work, and that's all that I particularly care about.

(While typing this, I had another realization/idea: Normally for SM's regular "jump" movement, he finds a waypoint that puts him closer to the player. This is different than his "teleport" movement, where he finds a new position within the max/min range. They're both "teleports", but the "jump" is meant to find a closer position. If I make the testing range for the new system within 45 degrees of directly at the player, that gives a 90 degree arc with which to test for potential jump positions. However, it's possible they all might be bad if SM is close enough to the player, since the first area of the arc is too close to the player and the rest are all within the player's facing. I think I can fix this by having the testing range angle gradually increase as no legal position is found, widing the arc until it eventually allows a legal position. This would also potentially allow SM to move around an obstruction so that it can start approaching from a different side.)

3. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pivotraze View Post
    A slight mythos oddity to your game: This isn't Slenderman.
    Slenderman doesn't HAVE to have tentacles. Also, there are other interpretations that have had him stalking non-children and causing video distortion (TribeTwelve and EverymanHybrid, for example).

Personally, I always found the non-tentacled version creepier anyway.

*EDIT* Also, having to worry about SM's body being visible is hard enough. Having to worry about his tentacles being visible would just be a nightmare.
    Last edited by AgentParsec; 06-13-2012 at 12:11 AM.

4. Location
    Montana
    The reason why other videos have video distortion etc... is because they are basing off of Marble Hornets (as you can tell by video upload dates) and a lot of people believe that Marble Hornets is Slenderman.

I agree though, I'm working on a Slenderman game as well, albeit in UDK (I have ALWAYS loved the UDK). Your's is much better, and has me half debating doing a Slenderman game. I'm probably going to do it just for the learning expereince (as I have to do the modeling, the coding, the level design, etc... since I have no one to do modeling, level design, etc... xD)

Regardless, don't take my pointing out of the mythos anomoly as a dis on your game. I love it so far (truly, twice in one game I jumped out of my seat.)

I would post a link so you could check it out my version of Slenderman games... but... I can't link to it since It's a UDK game *Embarrassed face*
    Last edited by pivotraze; 06-13-2012 at 12:13 AM.
    PROUD user of Boo

Seafire Software

5. Posts
    The reason why other videos have video distortion etc... is because they are basing off of Marble Hornets (as you can tell by video upload dates) and a lot of people believe that Marble Hornets is Slenderman.

I agree though, I'm working on a Slenderman game as well, albeit in UDK (I have ALWAYS loved the UDK). Your's is much better, and has me half debating doing a Slenderman game. I'm probably going to do it just for the learning expereince (as I have to do the modeling, the coding, the level design, etc... since I have no one to do modeling, level design, etc... xD)

Regardless, don't take my pointing out of the mythos anomoly as a dis on your game. I love it so far (truly, twice in one game I jumped out of my seat.)

I would post a link so you could check it out my version of Slenderman games... but... I can't link to it since It's a UDK game *Embarrassed face*
    No problem, I'm glad you like the progress so far.

I started uploading the newest build. This will be about 14 minutes; I'll post again when it's done.

Can someone answer me a quick question: If I do a capsulecast with a zero length (i.e., the starting point and the ending point are the same spot), will it just check to see if there's a collision in that one location? If so, then I could do the other system I was talking about completely with capsulecasting instead of moving a collider around, and potentially compress it all into a single update (though I might make it so that if it does so many capsulecasts and doesn't find a legal position, it waits until the next update to do any more).

6. Posts
    Upload complete: PC / Mac

(By the way, you can skip the intro with ESC if you want. Pressing ESC at any other time will cause the game to end. Pressing F1 immediately kills you and shows the closing credits as if you had collected all 8 pages.)

(*EDIT* Right-clicking also turned the flashlight on and off, in case you want to see how much you can see with the dim lighting.)

7. Location
    Montana
    Downloading and extracting. I'll play it tomorrow though Much too tired now.. and I don't think I'm man enough to play it in the dark.
    PROUD user of Boo

Seafire Software

8. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    As i suggested in a post now way back, some flashlight flicker or maybe short blackouts would probably add to the panicked feeling when the player has collected most of the pages : p
    Current game: Age of Settlement

9. Location
    Spain
    So, what are the updates in this build? Intro, flash light, and dim lighting? Cool. Downloading it.

10. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ludiares View Post
    So, what are the updates in this build? Intro, flash light, and dim lighting? Cool. Downloading it.
    Also a few other minor bug fixes not worth mentioning.

(How's the modeling going?)

*EDIT* Oh, also the camera zooms quicker, so it's a little more useful now.
    Last edited by AgentParsec; 06-13-2012 at 12:49 AM.

11. Location
    Spain
    Got the basic module working, just got a few UVs problems I've got. Will post a pic this afternoon(10 am here)

12. Location
    United Kingdom - Manchester
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentParsec View Post
    Also a few other minor bug fixes not worth mentioning.

(How's the modeling going?)

*EDIT* Oh, also the camera zooms quicker, so it's a little more useful now.
    wow thats brilliant i noticed a few different noises also i just noticed its a woman ( i think ? ) xD anyway i love the intro

13. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowNinja View Post
    wow thats brilliant i noticed a few different noises also i just noticed its a woman ( i think ? ) xD anyway i love the intro
    When I was searching for a breathing sound for sprinting, that one was the best I could find that was also free to use.

14. Location
    Spain
    Okay, i've done the first module of the complex, and you can test it here. Any feedback would be great.

15. Posts
    The layout's looking good. Is the "player" in your test the size of SM? I ask because the halls seem a bit narrow otherwise.

Also, the halls look pretty new, but I'm guessing you want to get the main model done before going back and making it look run-down?

16. Location
    Spain
    i will add dust and rust later on, as well some decals.
    BTW, shouldn't you be sleeping?
    Last edited by ludiares; 06-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.

17. Location
    Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by ludiares View Post
    i will add dust and rust later on, as well some decals.
    BTW, shouldn't you be sleeping?
    IMHO, you should make the web player catch the mouse and not show it
    PROUD user of Boo

Seafire Software

18. Location
    Spain
    IMHO, you should make the web player catch the mouse and not show it
    It was a little showcase, to let people see how it was, nothing real, so the mouse isn't a real problem there

19. Posts
    But yea, it's looking good. I like the roof too, it gives it just the look I was going for.

When you rough it up, make sure there's some debris on the ground; that way the crunchy footstep sounds still make sense.

It's 11:47AM here right now, I'm at work.

20. Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    3:22 AM here. played it a little, wasn't scary. Then I looked behind me and the slenderman was staring right at me right behind me.

Too much for me at this time of night.
    Not available for work at this time.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast