Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Developer Console [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MattCarr, Jun 2, 2012.

1. MattCarr

MattCarr

The Developer Console script is a turn-key, generic developer console for use at run time to assist in dynamically adjusting variables and calling functions. An essential debugging tool, the console can easily be graphically adjusted and provided with alias phrases for simple use by end users.

Similar in style and function to consoles found most typically in PC games such as first person shooters, the Developer Console allows any public variable or method on any Component in the scene to be accessed, set or called from. An auto-complete system allows for quick access to all possible values.

We've just released the first version of our Developer Console on the Unity Asset Store. We've built it so that it works with zero setup, just throw the script on a GameObject and you can access all of your custom methods and properties when running in the editor or in a built application.

This is something that I've been using for some time in my own projects and I'll be updating it regularly with improvements that I desire and anything valid that the community requests.

Demonstration Video

Asset Store Link

Web Player Demo:

I've put a small demo here.

It's a small scene so there's not too much that can be done, but you can see how the console will work. This is a scene with 3 objects that have a component called 'ExampleObject' on them that has variables and methods to allow the objects to rotate and change color to red, green or blue.

Of course all the standard components you'd expect are on them too so you can input something like "Capsule.Transform.Translate 0,1,0" (without quotes) into the console and the Capsule will move up 1 metre as you'd expect.

Other than the 1 example Alias phrase added, this is exactly how the console will operate when first dropped into your scene. All visual aspects (e.g. GUISkin, colors, etc) can be changed to suit your project

-----

If you have any questions or suggestions then please let me know. I'll be using this in future episodes of Every Semicolon so look for it there too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. MattCarr

MattCarr

Version 1.01 is available now and fixes an issue related to alias terms being named the same as class or method names.

Upcoming features include:

• Support for multiple actions per alias
    • Support alias creation at run-time
    • Full support for classes at any nested level

and more. Please post any suggestions for new features to be included in upcoming versions.

3. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

This looks perfect! One question - does the console also display any debug.Log messages from scripts?

Thanks,

Andy

4. MattCarr

MattCarr

It does. Like all aspects it is completely optional (toggle in the Inspector) so if you want to use it as an in-game console for end users you don't have to display that data for them.

Additionally the console comes with methods to allow you to write to the console from other scripts if you want console only logs.

5. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

Brilliant - thanks. Buying it now :)

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

is there demo?

7. MattCarr

MattCarr

Great :). Please let me know of any issues you have and any new features you need.

I've put a small demo here.

It's a small scene so there's not too much that can be done, but you can see how the console will work. This is a scene with 3 objects that have a component called 'ExampleObject' on them that has variables and methods to allow the objects to rotate and change color to red, green or blue.

Of course all the standard components you'd expect are on them too so you can input something like "Capsule.Transform.Translate 0,1,0" (without quotes) into the console and the Capsule will move up 1 metre as you'd expect.

Other than the 1 example Alias phrase added, this is exactly how the console will operate when first dropped into your scene. All visual aspects (e.g. GUISkin, colors, etc) can be changed to suit your project.

8. EiKON-Andy

EiKON-Andy

Great - thanks. It does exactly what I needed and looks very easy to customise.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

10. MattCarr

MattCarr

Great. If by "already" you mean "is now" as yours in fact a newer addition to the Asset Store than this thread's Developer Console then yes, jolly good.

Your console looks quite good, but is also quite different in function (e.g. does not provide access to all object methods, variables, etc). I'm sure they can co-exist, but please in future if you release products on the Asset Store do not find existing products that sound similar to yours and post links in their threads. It's unprofessional.

Indoorsman likes this.
  11. i-tech

i-tech

another good addition to this would be that you would split the console into two parts. The right one would be the console and the left part would be the hiarchy of the gameobjects that are currenty in the scene. You would be able to select those objects and when presing ENTER the could be toggled on and off in the scene. I think that this would be really awsome :)

12. MattCarr

MattCarr

Sounds like it could be a good idea. More debugging options like that to compliment that standard console system could be good features for an update. I'll keep it in mind :).

13. BlackArcane

BlackArcane

Does it have any way of getting profiling information? Like Unity's Profiler? That would be amazing! :)

14. umauj

umauj

Hey there! I just bought the developer console, and I think it is great!
    Thanks for that.

Just one thing that should be added asap: Whenever I define an alias, the autocompletion does not work anymore.
    E.g. I'd like to define an alias to be just a part of a command.
    Example:
    alias = "obj_GameObject.SomeComponent"

Now I would want to call a method of the "SomeComponent" like this:
    alias.testMethod
    This of course works, but as soon as I type: "alias." no autocompletion is shown anymore. I'd like to see all methods of the SomeComponent I may call, like if I wrote the first part in directly without alias.

15. MattCarr

MattCarr

Sounds reasonable. I've just started working on a new update that will allow for this and for more non-conventional calls in general that currently aren't possible (e.g. PlayerObject.transform.gameObject.transform.position 1,0,0).

16. cavila

cavila

Hi, I was wondering if Developer Console is still under active development. It seems the last update (1.01) was more than a year ago. Does it work well with Unity 4? what about the upcoming GUI for Unity 4.3?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  17. MattCarr

MattCarr

It hasn't been updated in a while, I was hoping for the new GUI to be released before I updated it further, but that of course has been a while. It does work under Unity 4 and I'm happy to update it if you come across any issues. I've just started using it on a new project and have been working on many of the improvements I'd mentioned in the past so there should be a new version available shortly.

18. cavila

cavila

Thanks, I'll be buying a license later today.

19. DanielKW

DanielKW

Hi I was thinking about buying your product, does it work with unity 5.1.1? I'd appreciate a prompt response thank you.

~Daniel

20. bob54978

bob54978

the demo is down :(

21. Yannik

Yannik

Hey Daniel, did you get an answer on this? I'd like to know too! :)

22. Yannik

Yannik

Nevermind, I bought it anyway to find out myself :p

So far it looks like it's working properly, except for the FastCube alias in the example scene. The alias' name and value are a bunch of numbers. They probably got messed up during conversion but setting up aliases is pretty simple so this is minor.