Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Object orientation.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by D1382, Jun 2, 2012.

1. D1382

D1382

So I'm very new to unity. Just getting my feet wet and enjoying every minute of it.

In my current project I'm making a simple battleship that has 2 turrets. I have a very simply script that uses transform.LookAt(target) to aim the cannons at an object.

All works 99%. The issue I'm having is the "front" of my turret (or boat even) is 90 degrees off. So the side of the turret faces the target as opposed to the barrels.

Any ideas to help me out?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Rotate the model in your 3D app so it works correctly in Unity; there's no standard orientation between different programs.

--Eric

3. D1382

D1382

That was the first thing i tried. It seemed like it would be easy and not an issue.

For some strange reason if I change the orientation of the turrets/boat in maya. it has no effect in unity.

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You need to change the orientation of the mesh's 'pivot' rather than just rotating the whole mesh - i.e. the local coordinate system for the mesh needs to change.

5. D1382

D1382

Any more help on this? I feel like I'm doing what I should be. but I'm not getting the results I want.

6. D1382

D1382

7. D1382

D1382

Solved.

What was frustrating me the most is whenever I rotated the object in maya the rotation was exported along with it. So in the Inspector in Unity would also reflect that rotation (ie: -90* on the y axes).

So the solution was simply freeze the transformations.

Modify > Freeze Transformations

8. neopaul78

neopaul78

S O L V E - use own Unity pivot system "Hinge Joint", it is not based on exported pivots of Max or etc