Search Unity

Help me choose a UI Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sun-Dog, May 28, 2012.

1. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I am sifting through all of the choices and would like a bit more feedback.

I am looking for a UI Framwork that will work on web-players and mobiles (currently iOS).

I am aware of EZGui, nGUI, iGUI and the Prime31 UIToolkit. There could be more. I can't afford to test each one side by side, so I'm reaching out and asking what people think would be the best way to go. I also suspect that others are in the same boat as I am and the information might be readily shared.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.

2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

You could start with UIToolkit seeing as that's free anyway. If you want to purchase one you might as well go with nGUI or iGUI seeing as they are half off till June 23

Edit: I believe nGUI has a demo http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=140 Not too sure if iGUI has a demo though.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Choose nGUI. It's number one for a reason - it's fast, has the atlas builder built in, and you can edit it wysiwyg style.

edit:

Here's something I've been working on that uses NGUI:

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

I've tried Prime's free UIToolkit and while it was almost there, it just didn't meet my needs without a lot of extra work.

I of course tried Unity's OnGUI solution and it was terrible for mobile.

EZGUI was next and I'm very happy with it. Compared to NGUI though, it's very expensive. I've just purchased NGUI as part of the Asset store madness sale so I'll likely try that in my next project.

EZGUI is very professionally done and I was never let down by a feature not working like it was expected to. It doesn't have WYSIWYG editing though, and I believe the cheaper (and possibly equally good) NGUI does.

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Now, I'll admit that I'm an EZGui user, as this was the only solution available at the time (with the exception of some simple UI's rolled off of the original SpriteManager), and I've been satisfied with it so far.

OTOH, I'm curious about other frameworks as well, but I have not played with them...

FWIW it looks like you can give nGUI a try before you buy:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/124032-NGUI-Free-Edition

Don't forget to support your local devs if you like it.

The full version seems to be on sale now as well.

6. kenlem

kenlem

I've use EZGui and honestly never got to the point where is was easy for me to create GUI's with it. I'm sure it's my fault somehow but the last project I used it on, I gave up trying to polish the GUI and shipped it as almost working.

I just bought nGUI and built my the same gui in a fraction of the time that it took me in EZGUI.