Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Extension] Asset+

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ModStoryGames, May 28, 2012.

1. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Asset+ 3.4
    Editor Extension​

I just finished development of my Asset+ Editor Window for Unity 3.5. I would like to know if there is any interest in the extension. Asset+ is a window consisting of multiple pages that are each responsible for displaying Assets of different types. There is a page for Prefabs, a page for Materials, etc. You can change the pages from the Preference window, and create entirely new pages that override default behavior.

Assets will be displayed in a List View by default. If a page has assets with previews, you can click the View Toggle Button in the Page Toolbar to show items in a Grid View.

You can change which kinds of assets a page will display by clicking "Settings" in the window and editing the File Types text box, which every page has, by default. Here, you can also change which folders are displayed in a page.

Most pages in Asset+ are very simple. Drag items out of the Asset+ window to drop them into scenes, on game objects, etc. Right click an asset to show it in the Inspector. Click the Settings button to view and edit the File Types of the page, which will save automatically when you close the window!

Tell me what you think, make a feature request, ask questions! Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  2. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Asset+ was declined due to a small bug. While I'm fixing it, are there any features people want?

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

I want the ability to display prefabs and fbx imported models in the prefab page. I would also like to be able to specify which folders to display (i.e., I might want to display only models in the buildings folder while building a town, etc).

4. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Okee dokee. Asset+ comes with the ability to redefine file types for each page. Both versions of the Prefab page only show .prefab by default, but all you have to do is click settings while on a prefabs page and add ".fbx" in the File Types text box (which is what I do when I'm using it).

Displaying by folder is not a bad idea, though. I'll look into seeing what I can do. :D

EDIT: Oh, before anyone suggests, I'm adding the ability to display assets by Label(s) as well.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  5. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

The previews bug has been fixed. I'm now working on implementing Folder and Label-based display. Will upload new screens when I submit again. :D

EDIT:

I added a Search Textbox. You can type a folder path, part of a path, or a label to display only the assets whose paths/labels match the input text. If you want to display only Prefabs folders, for example, type "Prefabs." You can be as specific as you want, which means typing a folder name or a folder path will both work.

I will create new screens when I wake up. Asset+ should (if all goes well) be live on the store by the end of next week. :D Good night, world!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  6. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Version 1.1 is online! You can find it on the Asset Store for $15.

I'll be submitting Version 2.0 later today, with these features:

*Every page that has previews has a Grid and a List view. Toggle with the press of a button!
    *Every page has settings for Number of Columns in a Grid, and Grid Image Size.
    *Some cosmetic changes/fixes, primarily to the Settings page.

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Purchased! Thanks, EddyEpic!

8. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Thanks! Feel free to rate it or write a review. Have fun!

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hey, having a problem - it created a long white window in the center of my screen, and now my CPU usage has gone to "646" percent. (I'm assuming that means it's using 6 cores at 100%, plus some), and hung Unity. I have a lot of assets - perhaps it doesn't handle that so well. Any suggestions?

10. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

I've never seen that happen. I'm running some tests now. How many assets do you have? And did this happen when you changed a setting, opened the window for the first time, pressed "Refresh." And are you using Windows or Mac? (And have you tried running Unity since the crash? If not, it would be helpful to see the debug log files.)

EDIT:
    I'm currently testing with 236 Assets. There's only a slight pause (white window), but it doesn't crash. I'll keep testing it. I'll work something out in the code so it doesn't have this problem.

EDIT 2: I may have something that could help. It looks like I may have been leaking textures (the process for getting so many previews is kind of slow, and has some unavoidable quirks at the moment). I believe it may help if you open the AssetPage.cs file and find the RefreshPreviews method. At the bottom of the method you should see a line that starts with "items.preview =". Put // at the beginning of that line, and save it. Then try to open Asset+ in Unity. If it crashes again, then the error is somewhere else. Either way, this little problem will be fixed in 2.1.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hi Eddy - Likely there are over twenty thousand assets of various kinds. I commented out the textures and prefab page, and got it to come up with just the materials page showing (Easyfind says I have 4600 materials). But something is still wrong with just materials - resizing the window is super-slow, like it's trying to draw all 4600 or something. I'm using a Mac, and it happened as I first said to open the window.
    I'm really only needing it for a few directories - obviously 10K prefabs is overkill - I really just want to view a specific subset at any one time (i.e., rocks and trees from the Nature Pack, or the buildings from the village pack, etc).
    Is there a way to limit what the page shows at startup?

12. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Not yet, but I'm going to make sure this doesn't happen again. I will work something into 2.1. I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

13. Jaimi

Jaimi

No problem, I'm patient.

14. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

I've come up with a solution. It will take a few days to implement, but I hope to have it out by the end of the week.

EDIT: Version 2.0 is now live on the Asset Store.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  15. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

2.1 has been submitted!

2.1 Features:

~More changes to the Settings Page!
    ~AssetPages no longer load all assets in the project. User must select Folders for each Page.
    ~Changed the previews path and some editor preference keys so previews and some settings will be different between projects.

EDIT: 2.1 is live!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  16. Jaimi

Jaimi

Cool! I'll get it now!

17. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thanks, Eddy - this is very useful! I like how you can add different directories, and filter the items by tag and directory.

To anyone considering this - 2.1 has really improved my workflow. I've got perhaps 20,000+ assets in my system, and this allows me to quickly find the assets I want. I can quickly filter to the village items, quickly identifying which one I want by the preview that it shows in the list for the items. I don't have to remember that "table1" is round and "table2" is oblong, or click on the item in the tree to preview - it's all just there for drag and dropping.
    I don't normally use prefabs for buildings and static items, so I change the extensions to ".fbx", but you can enter in whatever extensions you want. Very useful.

18. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Version 2.2 has been submitted. A minor change: no more Refresh button! Previews will automatically appear.

2.2 has been accepted! It is on the store now.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  19. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Version 2.3 is now live!

Minor fixes.

20. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.1 is live!

You can now change pages without writing any code!

And I've altered the Folder panel of the Settings page; now you can choose folders from a list, or use the original panel.

Also, changing pages now deletes associated editor preference keys. The keys used to store settings have also changed, so you will need to reconfigure Asset+.

21. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.2 is on its way, with some minor updates.

When pages are deleted, or applied, if the Asset+ window is open, it will re-initialize, then repaint, so you don't have to close and reopen the window after changes are made.
    The AssetUtility class is now in its own folder (EWS/AssetUtility/Editor) to be compatible with other (yet to be released) EWS products.
    Asset+ is now in EWS/Asset+ by default.

3.2 is live!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  22. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.3 is pending approval.

Changes to Edit -> Preferences -> Asset+ Page.
    Added a new toolbar.
    Moved "Delete" button to new toolbar.
    Added "Select All" button to new toolbar.
    The "Default" button now adds the default pages to the existing pages,
    with incrementing numbers if the pages already exist (ex. Prefabs, Prefabs 1, Prefabs 2, etc.)
    Fixed "Delete" deleting the wrong keys (typos resolved).

23. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.3 is live!

24. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

We're working on our next project now, but that doesn't mean we've forgotten about Asset+. We welcome any suggestions, questions, even bug reports (every comment helps us improve)!

25. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Did you know?

You can write your own pages for Asset+ to change the behavior of the assets when you click/drag them! See the Prefabs and Materials Pages to see some ways to change the behavior of an Asset Page.

26. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

Did you know?

To ensure that previews load correctly, they are saved to your computer so that Unity doesn't need to generate new previews for the same objects. You can access these saved previews for your own extensions. Other EWS Extensions may use this Directory to store other kinds of information in the future.

27. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.4 has been submitted to the Asset Store, and is pending review.

3.4 introduces two new features:

You can now drag folders directly from the Project view into the open Asset page, instead of going through the Folder Settings menu. The Folder settings options are still there, so now there are 3 ways to get folders into Asset+!

Also, the Panel Mode Folder Settings tab now has a "Remove All Folders" button, in case you want to start from scratch.

----

Also fixed some bugs. In the future I plan to release 4.0 with some major changes, but for now I have another big project in the works, so smaller changes may be put on hold for a while. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me here or using the Contact Email provided in the Asset+ ReadMe. Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  28. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.4 is now live!

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update!

30. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

No problem! This update felt like a natural next step for Asset+.

31. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

An update was submitted to the Asset Store that now allows Asset+ to work on Unity versions 4.0, 4.0.1, and 4.1. It is currently pending review.

The AssetUtility class has been temporarily renamed AssetHelper. This will be changed back in the future.

Finally, Asset+ will now be 5 USD. I will update this thread once the update is accepted.

32. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.5 is live, and at the new lower price of 5 USD.

33. ModStoryGames

ModStoryGames

3.5.1 is now live. A tiny bit of future proofing.