Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

What would make a great modern 3d platformer in your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glom1envisage0, May 27, 2012.

1. glom1envisage0

glom1envisage0

I've been working on my game/mini-games about a character named Hex, a meerkat for over a year and have gotten mixed responses to my work. I'm pretty stubborn about content but I want to learn what it is fans of the 3d platformer genre want to see in a modern game and try and make that happen. If you'd like to see what I currently have done you can visit hexthemeerkat.com.

2. Integria

Integria

I can't say for sure, but I still strongly feel that the best 3D platformer to date (not counting stuff like Psychonauts) is the first Banjo Kazooie for the N64. Wonderful characters, wonderful music, imaginative and variable scenary, interresting mechanics and a surprisingly enjoyable story.

...listening to Kazooie go "BLABLABLA" because running with bird-brains on his feet and the bear on his back was faster was admittedly an annoyance.

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I've always been a fan of any platform game that manages to make radically different game play types in one game. That's why the Sonic games' bonus levels were so cool. Or Super Mario 3d Land on the 3ds where it has Zelda-esq topdown segments. If a game is just the same concept beat into the ground it gets stale fast.

So I would say: Make lots of unique platform, lots of enemies, lots of abilities, and the occasional level that breaks the formula.

And make sure to introduce all these new elements with a good learning curve:
    1) Introduce the new ability/enemy/platform/level in an area where the player can goof around with it and have little risk of death.
    2) Incorporate it as a central point of the proceeding level, and play with the different ways it could work.
    3) Crush the player by making a section that demands a complete mastery of the element and push their skills to the limit.

Works for Mario.

4. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Okay, sorry for the DP but I just wanted to comment on your gameplay video.

Looks pretty solid so far. Obviously still a work in progress, but pretty solid. I also love the blob shadow.

Now my suggestions:

-I'm not sure if the character is placement art or not, but I think the game will look a lot smoother if your model had more animated animations. The body needs to twist as it walks. Try enlarging body parts slightly when they are used, like your fist when you punch.

-You need to work on the acceleration an deceleration of the character. That slight slip and slide feel adds worlds to the gameplay and stops it from feeling jerky.

-Consider making the platforms more uniform in size and angles. Right now, I wouldn't be sure what I am supposed to walk/jump on because of the various angles. If you have a finite number of angles it makes it easy for players to identify what they can and can't use. At the same time, uniform size would make it easy for players to judge what they can jump to and how things will play out. Take a look at this:

See how every level seems like they're made out of a series of blocks?
    That goes a long way in letting a player know what they can/should do. I'm not saying it needs to have everything perfectly square, I'm just saying that it should adhere to a general standards of space, dimensions, and so on.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

The statement "I'm pretty stubborn about content" means you've already lost. Now, understand that you're getting advise from a 25-year game vet that has been an evil AAA whore, not an indie, so take it for what it's worth.

In game making, especially anything that is a commercial endeavor for entertainment, you want to be true to your "vision" but you want to make sure you actually appeal to someone other than yourself. Take in people's feedback. Look for common threads in what they say and then "fix" that. Don't be "stubborn", if you actually want people to play your game. If you just want to make "art", then don't listen to anyone.

I haven't played your game yet (I will later), but looking at the footage you put up, it looks a bit slow. It seems like the character goes from stop to walk and just stays there. He has no "run" state. This makes the entire pacing seem lethargic and stiff. From your video, you should study the movement of Mario 64, Croc, Mario Galaxy, I-Ninja. They are some of the better (BEST in the case of Mario Galaxy) in the 3D platformer genre.

Kiwasi likes this.
  6. glom1envisage0

glom1envisage0

@ twitchfactor: I should have mentioned that even though I have form of stubbornness I've been constantly seeking to improve my work but I hear what you're getting at in general and will make that a point to address that unhelpful trait. @Pat.mathis: I am going to try implementing things you've noted, but the only one I'd feel is too unoriginal is the scaling of body parts, which too me made mario64 amazing when I first played it. I just feel like I've been using some foundational elements of 3d platformers so far accept perhaps Hex getting flattened by a "crush" box but even with that, I made it less dramatic/noticable than mario64. I guess what I'm hoping is that I'll find more ways to do things that will have a similar effect on the player that the scaling had on me, but in different ways. I accedentally found myself setting up some of the types of gameplay challenges you described but I could make it more a priority. @Integria: I've not played the original Banjo Kazooi only "Nuts Bolts" but I'll look at some youtube footage of it, although I know I'd really have to get into(play for a while) the game to find the best aspects of it. The demo available on the site is a bit outdated and I'll update it but here's a link to a level I just made a few days ago with some work to the animation and camera:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31167283/Unity/SnowGo3/WebPlayer.html

7. boomzgamebuilders

boomzgamebuilders

i would also build a sonic like game but me as character and different songs