Search Unity

Mobile Leaderboard options now openfeint is gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunga, May 27, 2012.

1. gunga

gunga

I've been planning on using OpenFeint for my leaderboards for my latest game however now that openfeint has been bought by Gree I'm not sure what to do.

I registered on the Gree website and was all set until I noticed Android isn't yet supported.

My game is a racing game i'd like to have leaderboards for laptimes across both android ios, so i don't want to use gamecentre. Also i was planning to put this in a simple time trial version of my game for free then giving away full copies of the finished game to the top ten, so i would need a way to id people.

Any suggestions? Maybe it's just worth waiting for Gree?

2. joshimoo

joshimoo

I am currently investigating this also, so far I found these options:

- http://www.scoreloop.com/
    They don't have a unity package, but they provide ios android packages so you would need to write some wrapper code

- https://playtomic.com/
    primarily offer analytics, but also have leaderboards + unity package (not sure on the identifying part)

Will update once I looked at some of the other options.
    Hope some other people share there recommendations :)

3. gunga

gunga

Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure how long Gree will take to have Android support....

4. KorotkovAD

KorotkovAD

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. gunga

gunga

That's not for Unity though.

I emailed Gree and received this reply:

6. KorotkovAD

KorotkovAD

Yeah, their unity plugin is iOS-exclusive.
    Currently I'm trying to make some wrapper code to call Gree's java API from unity. I guess, it is possible, but it requries more work than I expected.

7. KorotkovAD

KorotkovAD

OK, I've managed to run GREE sample app on my device in sandbox mode.
    And I have no idea what to do next.
    Is there anybody tryied to use GREE android SDK? Just wanna talk about it.

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Don't use PLAYTOMIC. They have had several outages now, each as big (i..e. several days) as their supposed server migration. And they are terribly slow to respond to issue

-- Original post --
    Playtomic - most of their features are in the free package. Not only do you get leader boards, you also get all kinds of analytic and reporting options, ability to save player data etc.

There's a Unity API available and I can verify that it works on mobile as well as web player and standalone.

If you do sign up it would be great if you could use my referral link (I'm not affiliated but everyone who signs up can refer others for the chance to win stuff):

The service had a little bit of an outage (on and off over a few days) while they upgraded their servers, but since then has been pretty stable.

Here's a sample of some level analytics from Phronix:

$SampleData.png

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. gunga

gunga

Just had this email from Gree! :)

Please be informed that we released a release candidate of SDK for Unity
    on the GREE Platform on Jun 6 (Wed.), 2012.

The detail is:

・ SDK for Unity latest version

- GREE Platform SDK for Unity Ver 3.0.0 Rev 3
      https://docs.developer.gree.net/en/globaltechnicalspecs/sdkforunity/
      * Login to the Developer Center to access the pages above.

Notes on this release candidates

- Compatible OSs are iOS 4+ and Android 2.2+ (excluding Android 3.x).

- Supports Unity Pro 3.5.1f2 and later.

Thank you for your cooperation and continued support.

GREE Platform Office

10. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

So sad it doesn't support Unity Free :'(

11. Akira675

Akira675

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its a mobile only technology, as such it will only work on Android and iOS projects.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but Scoreloop contacted me a few months ago and did have a Unity SDK in development, so I expect you can ask them for it. I used their old plugin (the one they bought from the guy who mode the iPhone Enhancement Pack) and I was happy with it except Scoreloop doesn't have multiple leaderboards within one game.

I've also recently been looking at OpenFeint alternatives, on Android, and I'm thinking about using PapayaMobile. Their plugin looks straightforward to use.

14. Baroni

Baroni

It's still in development, contacted them a week ago and they said they don't provide a Unity SDK at the moment...

15. FreeTimeDev

FreeTimeDev

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yup I remove my support for them (going to edit my post). A few major outages now and poor response from customer support.

Actually thinking about building a service myself, I do design and troubleshoot high volume transactional systems for a day job ... stay tuned :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  17. Dreamora

Dreamora

Sounds like its time to join forces with some people and create a great unity focused system that works on all Unity platforms and supports its users, instead of pissing them off due to greed leading to stupid decisions and missfocus which has recently killed more than one option.

18. Yeray Callero

Yeray Callero

Geosophic is an alternative that offers geolocated leaderboards for Unity games in Android and iOS. You can have a leaderboard in each city/region/country and worldwide automatically depending on where your players are playing.
    Also, you can check get the game metrics in the developer dashboard: MAU, DAU, how many players have a score in each region, etc...

Take a look at: www.geosophic.com

Disclaimer: I work in this company. Anything you need just contact me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  19. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

This .

20. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

You don't need to bump this thread, especially when there's a much more recent thread on the same subject. Geosophic does look interesting, though.

21. Moonjump

Moonjump

A Unity native cross network system would be brilliant.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's not really the leaderboards code or anything itself that's even the problem.

It's who's stupid enough to pay for the bandwidth?

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Using something AWS the bandwidth would be extremely cheap , establish reasonable free limits for each dev , 100mb a month would be enough for testing , then if you you need more you pay for it .

24. Almog

Almog

You might want to check out Scoreoid - Scoreoid, developed by game developers for game developers, is a non-restrictive, reliable and easy to use backend as a service.

It has leaderboards, stats, game achievements, ect.. We're working on a big update with some really cool features game developers have been asking for.

25. akasurreal

akasurreal

I am looking at HeyZap, they have Unity plugins now for Android and iOS.

26. bug5532

bug5532

I have just integrated HeyZap into GnarBike Trials. It's a very easy to use plugin and I managed to integrate it over my Openfeint plugin easily!
    iOS plugin was just as easy to integrate, much nicer than the Openfeint one. Just sent it off to apple for approval.
    Anyway, I only released it today so will have to wait and see what the users think.

27. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Well I don't know if it's still actual but I do second this idea. I did actually release a (I think) good base (search for YouLead), its stable, work great and multi platform. I'm lacking the server side knowledge (website, user management etc..).

Well if some forces want to do something I'm open!