Search Unity

Installing Unity Plugin in Portable Firefox?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dock, Oct 2, 2008.

1. dock

dock

Is it possible to use the Unity plugin in 'portable firefox'? I want to be able to demo my game on some machines that don't have the Unity plugin yet, or don't have installation rights, so this seemed like a good solution.

http://portableapps.com/support/firefox_portable#plugins

It says you can install plugins by taking the dll files from the firefox install directory, but I don't see the Unity DLLs in there.

2. taumel

taumel

Very nice, i'll have to try this out.

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't know whether it will end up working or not but at a minimum you'll need both the plugin files (DLLs in the Firefox folder) as well as the actual player itself (found in C:\Program Files\Unity\Web Player). But I foresee potential issues as the plugin files point the browser to the system installed player which may not be found if it's on a portable drive as opposed to installed on the actual main drive.

I'm intrigued by Firefox portable, post any updates you have if continue experimenting (I'll do the same).

4. manola

manola

5. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Welcome to the forums manola! You can install the web player by visiting the following URL:

http://unity3d.com/unity-web-player-2.x

If you're looking for support in portable Firefox then that's not something we seem compatible with as we're a system installed resource.

6. buntu

buntu

Any news on the portable firefox + unity?
    Does anyone succeed?
    Thanks

7. Workings

Workings

Hiya,
    Was after this too as would help with a completely different problem. Trying to get Unity to work with Smarts devices. Someone got Flash to wotk with their usual WPF framework, and recon could do the same with Unity if could make it portable. E.g. so need to have Unity ActiveX control [plus whatever else needed], Unity app, and controlling html page in the one directory so can be called from WPFs webbrowser component. As think Unity would be a much better solution for the big multitouch Smart devices, if this was possible then could be onto a whole new platform for Unity.
    Any thoughts?
    Chris

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

What prevents you from using a standalone?

Its not like unity would run at all in a pure managed environment if it had a "mobile browser support" version or alike as the whole engine (thats what the webplayer installs) is unmanaged C / C++ code etc

9. Workings

Workings

As need to intercept multitouch events and feed to Unity, which could do if could make Unitys web plugin portable. Multitouch events come from Smarts WPF framework.