Search Unity

RTS Tutorial FREE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by British89, May 22, 2012.

1. British89

British89

Hello don't know if this is the right place but i found a FREE RTS Tutorial on YouTube it includes the project files as well, Its the only RTS tutorial i have found that is decent enough and FREE, Check it out, rate and comment on this guys videos hes put effort into it, He hasn't got many viewers even though he should!

Free RTS Tutorial

2. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

Advertising your own work?

dahiyabunty1 and rakeshmalik91 like this.
  3. henry96

henry96

Good! more resource to learn. Thx for sharing.

4. Wraith

Wraith

Nothing wrong with self-promotion in any case. Thanks for the link.

TOaJazzy likes this.
  5. ashenk69

ashenk69

Hey guys British89 isn't self promoting. They are one of my subscribers on Youtube and wanted to share my channel. Which I am very thankful they have done. I have not been doing Unity development and video tutorials for very long so the game is not very complete but I am working on it most of the time. There isn't much help on RTS games in Unity anywhere as I have looked so a lot comes from trial and error and a lot of testing.

rakeshmalik91 likes this.
  6. tasadar

tasadar

check my signature, it is a bit old and simple but may be helpful...

7. ashenk69

ashenk69

@tasadar That is a pretty cool demo of an RTS game. It has a lot of components to it. I have things like moving and attacking with multiple units. The biggest step I am having trouble getting past is creating a fog of war that runs smoothly. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of help for that type of thing.

8. RyanSchurton

RyanSchurton

Nce find keep them coming

9. MadRobot

MadRobot

May I suggest numbering your videos and putting them in a playlist? I'm looking at them now, and it isn't clear which one to start with. I'll just watch them all, and hopefully none of them will require me to have seen a previous video to make sense. If that is the case, they definitely need to be numbered in the order to be watched, and then added to a playlist for ease of viewing.

10. ashenk69

ashenk69

I actually have them in a playlist called "Unity RTS Binary". I might need to reverse the order so that they make since in the way they are ordered. The only reason I had them backwards is so that when I featured them on my channel's player it would show the correct one. I'll go ahead and fix that issues so others can watch them in the correct order.

Thanks for the suggestions

11. MadRobot

MadRobot

Awesome! Thanks! I've already watched a few, and I think it will help to know the order. heh

12. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

13. drewradley

drewradley

Keep in mind this is almost five years old at this point and probably outdated.

Martin_H likes this.
  14. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

yea i know that dear but actually i saw it just now and i love RTS stuff so every tiny help i get from some one love to thnx them :) ( hope it wasn't against rule lol since i replied to an old thread)

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

A quick search of YouTube found a Unity 5 RTS tutorial series too.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL31JjEjYEcA3oW6DdswgYLYsZn4jakQE1

16. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Mouse drag is easy. You start by having your selection system support multiple units. Then when you click and drag the mouse it creates a bounding box (or box collider depending on how you want to approach it) followed by checking every object to see if it's within the box and if so add it to the list.

It's a bit of an oversimplification but someone who has gone through the official learning section should be able to do it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  18. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

thnx for reply i can select multiple units with shift key but no idea how to work with drag system (sry m not much experienced programmer btw)

19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Start here.

20. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

thnx for nice tutorial it could be used in RPG style inventory but drag i was mentioning earlier was abt "RTS style multiple unit selection with selection box"

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

One important thing to note about Unity. Every game will be making use the exact same APIs barring a third party asset that completely replaces a subsystem (like Rewired for input). A tutorial may not cover the exact topic you need for your project but it will cover the APIs you will be making use of.

Don't be quick to skip over a seemingly useless tutorial. It may very well have covered the exact info you needed. ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  22. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

I am absolutely addicted to Youtube ´make a game´ tutorials and watch them during meals :) And I cannot agree more with what Ryiah said.. Even if the tutorial is on a completely different game than you want to make, you can still learn a lot and pick up a lot of information about how to do things.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  23. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The tutorial show you how to begin a drag, process a drag, end a drag, and process a drop.

You'll need to figure out drawing the rect and checking for overlap somewhere else.

As everyone has indicated, you'll never find a perfect tutorial anywhere. But you can piece together the relevant parts from all over the show.

Ryiah likes this.
  24. Ryiah

Ryiah

Like I mentioned earlier you could have it spawn a box collider and let the physics engine do the work for you. Here is the official tutorial covering colliders as triggers (basically they won't stop other colliders from moving - they'll simply detect the presence of them).

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/physics/colliders-triggers

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    richardboegli and Kiwasi like this.
  25. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

thank you all thnx for useful information
    thnx for link ^^

26. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

I gone through learning section and cant complete proper selection box, many tutorials about this on youtube are convoluted and fit to the exact project it is presented in...
    I think this is a fundemantal thing for one of the major game genre which is RTS, naglected by the devs in past years or simplyfied to ugly form such as MOBA's.

This should be added into standard assests like the FPS controller as fundamental thing for FPS's.

27. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

haha same m feeling same frustration i have completed all RTS coding mine units can attack can build structure have working AI decision tree... have separate types of units a playable version of RTS game is almost done only one thing missing is selection box which is m feeling hard to make it :/

28. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

RTS games are pretty challanging. They do custom for pretty much everything. They are not usually a good project for beginners to approach.

The reason there are no standard assets for a RTS is because pretty much every RTS behaves differently.

29. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

yea i know but i have done almost all coding for RTS we can call it completed game (just without story mode atm) just selection box becoming pain for me since theirs no particular tutorial for it and i have no idea how to accomplish it

30. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

But EVERY RTS use "Selection Box" :)

31. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Sure, but not every RTS uses a selection box the same way. Here are some differences to consider.
    • Camera angle
    • Selection point
    • Treatment of non combat units
    • Treatment of buildings
    That's not even starting on the underlying data structure that represents the units. It's not like you can just throw a thousand animated GameObjects into the game and let them run loose.

Ryiah likes this.
  32. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

What about something basic, based on drawing on the canvas and casting that box you draw into game world to detect objects you want to be selected (object can have some script that listen if they are in box). This can work in 2d and 3d, all is based about drawing on canvas and translating this into game world. That can be something every can use who want to build basic rts.
    Honestly i work on something like this, got everything except translating box from canvas into game world. But i'm not so good at this as guys doing all this standard assets, but still i dont give up.

33. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

same problem here all i can do is just hold shift key and select mine unit one by one doono how to detect if units are in selection box so i can triger a bool inside mine interactive script to select them

34. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Alright. Give me a day or two and I'll have something for you. I think multi selection does deserve its own tutorial.

Lucky I love you guys.

35. Ryiah

Ryiah

Finally decided to put that $1 from Patreon to use? :p

36. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Exactly. Got to earn my wage somehow. If anyone else wants to chip in, there is a link in my signature.

37. Murgilod

Murgilod

Might want to force an underline on patreon so it looks more like a link. At first I thought it was just an order with no real way to follow through.

Kiwasi likes this.
  38. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Whoops. Done. Thanks for the catch.

39. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

thnx in advance waiting :) (if its with Collider detection style would be nice i think coz it will be easy to use with every ones project since all objects use physics somehow and trigger collider can activate a bool on object just a idea tats wat m using atm a trigger collider but i want to make it custom size like drag it just fly with mine mouse cursor and select objects LOL it looks bit weird coz a cube is flying with half alpha hahahahha Selection box will look much better it seems)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  40. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

Praise the BoredMormon :)

41. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

It is based around the new EventSystem. Which does have a PhysicsRaycaster you can use. Its technically not physics detection though.

Unity is a bit of a pain in that it has about four different ways that you can process input events. So it won't play nicely with OnMouseDown or OnGUI. But I do have another tutorial with a couple of workarounds if you need to integrate the different event handlers.

Thanks. I would suggest withholding judgement until its actually released. But I've got the raw footage taken today. Editing and audio should get me through tomorrow.

Ryiah and Tomasz_Pasterski like this.
  42. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

gr8 can't wait for it :D

43. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

@BoredMormon if u made any tutorial abt Drag Selection please share link here :)

Tomasz_Pasterski likes this.
  44. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Sorry about the delay. Apparently the selection box isn't as trivial as I first thought. Its a bit of a long one, but it should cover off everything you need.

If you liked the video, be sure to like, share, comment, subscribe and all those other things. And if you want to see more, jumping on Patreon and supporting always helps.

45. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane