Unity Community

1. Posts

Character Design Competition - Postman Arcade Game

Just copied the template from JohnnyA, hope this is ok

I still have no idea how the protagonist of my game should look like. Hope you can help me out.

You find the WIP Thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129300-First-game

The Postman Character

The postman should be a cute character. Not the fighter type, more the guy who wants to desperately fulfill his duty.
    Cartoony style but smooth colors (no cartoon shader or reduced color palette)
    The head has to be 1/2 - 1/4 of the whole body size (kind of a big head).
    The overall proportion of the character should be close to a smurf or mario (mario brothers). Not to skinny.
    His facial expression should be easy to recognize on an iphone display (Eyes a little bigger or so).
    He should wear a typical postman hat.
    Your artwork should be different from what I already created in the WIP thread.
    Please read the suggestion of the other community members there, it could help to create the perfect postman.

He should fit (perfect ) in the environment I created here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129300-First-game

The postman can be a drawn concept art (but quite detailed) or even better a 3d model which should not have more 1500 triangles.

Please post the your WIP and the final result here. Please tell me what postman you see here you like the most.

The Prize

The creator of the best character as judged by me will be awarded €50 (63 - 67 $) cash via PayPal.
    If I use the postman model I credit you in the game.
    The winner has to hand over the source files of his artwork (fbx, psd)

The Timing

You can join the contest the next two weeks. If in within two weeks less then 5 models are registered I will extend the contest for another week. If the contest is closed you have another week to finish your artwork. Then the winner will be announced by me.

The Game

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129300-First-game

The Rest
    If you miss any information, let me know. If there are any legal issues with this offer, let me know.
    Thanks for reading and a lot of fun by creating the postman
    Last edited by yavadoo; 05-21-2012 at 03:46 AM.

2. Location
    West Virginia,USA
    Quote Originally Posted by yavadoo View Post

Just copied the template from JonnyA, hope this is ok

I still have no idea how the protagonist of my game should look like. Hope you can help me out.

You find the WIP Thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129300-First-game

The Postman Character

The postman should be a cute character. Not the fighter type, more the guy who wants to desperately fulfill his duty.
    Cartoony style but smooth colors (no cartoon shader or reduced color palette)
    The head has to be 1/2 - 1/4 of the whole body size (kind of a big head).
    His facial expression should be easy to recognize on an iphone display (Eyes a little bigger or so).
    He has to wear a typical postman hut.
    Your artwork should be different from what I already created in the WIP thread.
    Please read the suggestion of the other community members there, it could help to create the perfect postman.

He should fit (perfect ) in the environment I created here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129300-First-game

The postman can be a drawn concept art (but quite detailed) or even better a 3d model which should not have more 1500 triangles.

Please post the your WIP and the final result here. Please tell me what postman you see here you like the most.

The Prize

The creator of the best logo as judged by me will be awarded €50 (63 - 67 $) cash via PayPal.
    If I use the postman model I credit you in the game.
    The winner has to hand over the source files of his artwork (fbx, psd)

The Timing

You can join the contest the next two weeks. If in within two weeks less then 5 models are registered I will extend the contest for another week. If the contest is closed you have another week to finish your artwork. Then the winner will be announced by me.

The Game

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/129300-First-game

The Rest

If you miss any information, let me know. If there are legal issues with this offer let me know.

Thanks for reading and a lot of fun by creating the postman
    This sounds fun, but would it not be easier to pay a 3D artist to make it the exact way you want for the game?

3. Location
    UK, Grimsby
    Ill enter this. Post some stuff in a few days

-Charlie

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclision View Post
    This sounds fun, but would it not be easier to pay a 3D artist to make it the exact way you want for the game?
    I dont know yet exactly how the postman should look like , thats the problem . I hope in the result of this contest I get a few new ideas for the postman character. Maybe someone is creating the perfect postman

@Charlie: I am looking forward to see your work. Have fun with it.
    Last edited by yavadoo; 05-21-2012 at 02:43 AM.

5. Posts
    Glad to see you join the contest spcgmua

Quote Originally Posted by spcgmua View Post
    That game is great I would like to do this. I can make this as a 3d model with not a lot of texturing and do it like team fortress.
    Good textures are definitely a plus but in the end the overall impression counts.

Quote Originally Posted by spcgmua View Post
    I can also animate it or something.
    Thats not necessary I bought already an animated rig. For that reason I should also mention that the postman should not be to skinny. I ll add this info also to the first post.

6. Location
    West Virginia,USA
    Glad to see you join the contest spcgmua

Good textures are definitely a plus but in the end the overall impression counts.

Thats not necessary I bought already an animated rig. For that reason I should also mention that the postman should not be to skinny. I ll add this info also to the first post.
    I am equally excited to see a character contest as lately it has been just non organic models and 2d work.

7. Posts
    I hope that the storyboard works well for you and also if you need anything extra you can PM me because I have a few more ideas that were inspired by another game that I am working on so if you need anything you can send me that PM.

Best of Luck

ManGuy59

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclision View Post
    I am equally excited to see a character contest as lately it has been just non organic models and 2d work.
    I followed the the competition JohnnyA started and I was surprised how it turned out. There are many very nice results to see in his thread.
    I think we get some good work to see here too.

9. Posts
    spcgmua, your post in this thread disappeared. Did you delete it intentionally?

it's a interesting project, nobody take step in yet?
    i'll introduce my postman to you, he's not smart but with great willpower.

looking forward to other talent concepts.

11. Location
    West Virginia,USA
    Quote Originally Posted by hog345 View Post

That man loves his job! LOL!

12. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hog345 View Post

Great first entry, this guy looks awesome! Really professional work!
    Like I said in the first post: Drawn concept art is absolutely fine. I am asking anyway: Are we going to see a 3D Model of this SuperPostman?
    Last edited by yavadoo; 05-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.

13. Location
    West Virginia,USA
    Great first entry, this guy looks awesome! Really professional work!
    Like I said in the first entry drawn concept art is absolutely fine, I am asking anyway: Are we going to see a 3D Model of this SuperPostman?
    Somebody must do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Location
    UK, Grimsby
    Trying to find the time, Ill post when I can!