Search Unity

Camera Target Dummy

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by marty, May 18, 2005.

1. marty

marty

Aiming the camera in the viewport might be a bit easier if it had a target dummy, like the one that the "Target Camera" in 3dsmax has. That way, I would use the transform and rotate gizmos to put the dummy where I want the camera aimed.

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I will look into this one.

Small hint:
    Pressing f (frame selected) often helps a lot with navigation. It targets the camera on the current selection.

3. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Do you mean the ingame camera, or the scene view camera?

4. marty

marty

The ingame camera.

Having a little doo-hikey in the scene that I can grab and move around to point the camera is often the easiest way to manipulate the camera in 3dsmax/Maya, and I'm thinking it would be a nice addition to the Unity interface as well.

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Agreed.

6. arton

arton

I'll third that!
    That's how I do almost all of my camera movement in Cinema 4D.

7. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

The thing is:

How does this work when you animate stufff. The camera's rotation is no different than any other GameObject's... I don't want to add targetting to all game objects...

Any ideas?

8. marty

marty

The "aiming" gizmo would definitely be good for cameras and lights in the authoring environment. These are items that you tend to want to aim at precise points while composing your scene, unlike geometry.

At run-time, the gizmos wouldn't be as big a help since we would tend to aim cameras, lights, geometry, etc. with "lookAt" scripting then.