Search Unity

Inspector++ - 'Meh' to 'WOW' inspectors

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by pvloon, May 20, 2012.

1. pvloon

pvloon

Question: What do you think of a regular Inspector? Probably: "Meh, it does it's job". Well that's about to change!

You've seen them in some asset store packages, maybe you've even coded them, custom Inspectors can do some amazing things. But it's a lot of work even for simple tasks. You have to learn a complete API to do it! Why would you even bother?

That's why I'd like to introduce you to Inspector++! With one-mouse click it intelligently transforms your "Meh" inspector into an "awesome" inspector. Then you can use the visual editor to create your own "WOW" inspector!

Here is a quick video (of V1.0, current version 1.32)

Screenshots (click to enlarge)

If you are interested, you are free to read the documentation!

In the asset store for 10$

Best regards,
    Arthur Brussee

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. PlanetTimmy

PlanetTimmy

Very nice!

Question: Can inspectors created with this tool be distributed? In other words, could you do something like create a component script, use this to create an inspector for it, and then sell them both on the asset store?

3. Samb88

Samb88

Just what I needed! You got my money, if you can answer PlanetTimmys question with "yes" :]

4. pvloon

pvloon

Thank you for the positive comments!

I feel kinda stupid now. I though about that feature but didn't think it'd be used. Well, I'm very wrong apparently. It's easy to do though, and since the asset isn't on the store yet anyway, I will try to re-submit before the Unity team posts this version.
    So basically: Yes, it will be able to.

Worst case scenario, the unity team still is faster than me, it's still possible with this version but would require you to copy multiple files, and only have an inspector of that kind in your project, not ideal.

5. Samb88

Samb88

Well, it's goo to hear that you're working on it :)
    So yeah, a one file solution would be perfect! I always wanted to make a custom inspector for my scripts but the coding is just too painful...

6. pvloon

pvloon

All right, quick update. Inspectors work, just need to do the scene stuff now. It produces a cs CustomEditor file with all the unnecessary stuff stripped away, i'd say it's not to far off of what you would program by hand :) I'm going to bed now though, and finish it up tomorrow.

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very useful, very cool! GoGoInspector! ;)

8. pvloon

pvloon

Update! Saving to file is done. Like I said earlier it produces a streamlined file you can share for the asset store or other projects. I just re-submitted the package so the wait has begun... :)

Thanks for all the positive comments so far, really motivates me :)

9. pvloon

pvloon

InspectorPlus has been released! I'm so stoked :)

To celebrate, here is some (sort-of) relevant nostalgia:

(It's also a marketing trick, as this will link your nostalgic feelings to the product, but it only works if you unconsciously do that so please don't read this)

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Congrats! I'm workin late trying to get my own released tonight ;)

11. hima

hima

This is very neat! I might get this soon :)

12. pvloon

pvloon

@yohadahan: Ahh, competition already. Good luck :)

@himatako: Thanks :D

I will start an update pretty soon, with some more functions pretty soon. Price probarbly will go up to 15$ with that update, we'll see. If you have any requests be sure to let me know :)

13. iisjreg

iisjreg

lol!

This looks good and I will most likely get it in a week or so.#
    My problem is that I have so many time-saving and organisational extensions that I spend all my time organising! tsk tsk :)

14. pvloon

pvloon

Haha, awesome! I promise this will only make one little menu item under the windows item :p

Note to self: Make an anti extension-clutter extension.

15. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

Private fields marked with the [SerializeField] attribute don't show up. Only public fields do. :(

16. pvloon

pvloon

Woops, that's not right of course. A fix has been submitted, should be up within a day or two depending on how fast the asset store team is :)

I got an idea to spread Inspector++ around a lot more, you'll see soon :p

17. hjupter

hjupter

Hey how do I fix this?... error CS0117: `System.IO.File' does not contain a definition for `WriteAllText'

Perhaps this only work on standalone builds?

18. pvloon

pvloon

Ok, I think I figured it out. I'm sorry, that indeed is a fault of mine. Really should have thought of that so my sincere apologies.

Luckily it's an easy fix you can do yourself for now. The problem is that unity tries to compile the InspectorPlus scripts for the target platform but obviously they should only be used in the editor.

Open the InspectorPlus folder, and drag all files in to the editor folder. I can't test right now but that should fix it.

TL;DR
    Open the InspectorPlus folder, and drag all files in to the editor folder.

19. pvloon

pvloon

I just got back to my work PC and submitted the fix. Should be up in 1 or 2 days. Once again sorry for this silly mistake.

Thanks for everyone who got this extension :)

20. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

It doesn't work on ScriptableObjects.

21. pvloon

pvloon

You're right, and there isn't really a reason it shouldn't :p

I added support for ScriptableObject's, and also fixed hjupter problem a bit nicer. Added a new ArrayInspector as well so you can actually do something with custom objects.

@hjupter and exploding rabbit: I pmed you the new version as I don't want you to wait the whole weekend. If anyone else needs the new version post here or PM me!

22. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

Cool it's starting to work pretty well. Is there any way you could set it up so that I can move it to a different folder without breaking it, or would that be too difficult?

Also, Unity crashed when I tried to delete one of the custom inspectors through the editor window. It was an inspector for a ScriptableObject.

23. pvloon

pvloon

That shouldn't be to hard (*crosses fingers that theres an method to get the current folder*)

About the crash: Im sorry, I implented ScriptableObject a bit to much in a rush I geuss :p When you delete an custom Inspector while looking at it, Unity crashes for some resaon, a bug on their side. I've dealt with this for MonoBehaviours by deselecting them first, need to do the same for ScriptableObject. (So for now just deselect the asset first and then delete the Inspector)

I will fix this and send you the new version. Re-submitting again post-pones the update even longer which I really don't want.

24. pvloon

pvloon

v1.05 is out!

-Fixes build target bug
    -Support for ScriptableObject
    -Support for SerializeField
    -Better array Inspector

I'm working on v1.1, so far:
    -Scale handle for Vectors
    -Rotate handle for Quaternions
    -ScriptableObject crash fix
    -InspectorPlus folder can be renamed or put in another folder.

I have a little surpirse coming up as well, you'll see soon :)

25. phoberman

phoberman

All I get when I select a script and click on the Create button in InspectorPlus is this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    InspectorPlusTracker.GetFields () (at Assets/InspectorPlus/Editor/InspectorPlusTracker.cs: 40)

tried it with several different scripts, all same result.

26. pvloon

pvloon

That is.. odd, to say the least.

1. Are you using v1.05?
    2. Are you sure the script is a MonoBehaviour?

I pmed you the version I sen to exploding rabbit as well, which worked for him.

I worked really hard on this and it's so frustrating to see it go down on bugs... I'm really ashamed.

If anyone else needs support please don't hesitate to contact me.

27. phoberman

phoberman

Tried the version you sent me, same results.

I assume my scripts are MonoBehaviors - they're written in Javascript, and the documentation states: "Using Javascript every script automatically derives from MonoBehaviour"

Not sure what's relevant, but I'm on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.7.4, Unity 3.5.2f2.

28. pvloon

pvloon

All right, I've found out what's wrong. Javascript is giving some issues.

v1.1 fixes this, which I just PM'ed you. Again, anyone else who doesn't want to wait for the asset store review time, PM me for the new version!

v1.1 Has also just been submitted to the review team! It includes:
    -Quaternion/Vector3 rotation handles
    -Scale Vector handle
    -Much more robust code, fixes Javascript, folder of InspectorPlus can be renamed or put in an other folder, less bugs in general
    -Int sliders and progress bar
    -Object field shows object's children
    -A search function

-With one-click you can import over 75 custom Editors for NGUI! These are made by Inspector++ and hand-adjusted for the best result, and of course you can edit them as well!

29. Samb88

Samb88

Just wanted to say that this is just fantastic! Thank you very much for this excellent add-on!

30. phoberman

phoberman

Thanks for new version - working beautifully now. A very useful tool!

31. pvloon

pvloon

Thank you! It's awesome to hear positive comments :)
    Also, I've created some new logo work. I will adjust all stuff to the new logo soon. You can see it already in the NGUI Inspector++ topic I openend. Anyone who wants to see some of these Inspectors in action, and who has NGUI (who doesn't?), this is a great way to see a little try-out.

V1.1 has just been approved officially! The unity asset store team is really working fast these days.

I've started work on V1.2 already, so far I will include:
    -Tooltips
    -A way to highlight an transform in the scene
    -Toggle groups

32. hjupter

hjupter

Awesome, PM me the latest version with the NGUI inspectors plz :)

33. pvloon

pvloon

It just got approved about an hour ago actually :) Should be in the asset store already. (right? Sure hope it is :p)

34. pvloon

pvloon

V1.15 has just been submitted! It's mostly to push the new logo, but I made so bug fixes as well so I though it was worth an update

-Fixed scale handles
    -Fixed rotation handles
    -Improved save to file to strip away much more code
    -Other small bugfixes and optimizations
    -New logo

35. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Sadly i can not see the video because you maybe have used music that is not allowed to hear on youtube in germany because of copyright.
    Can you make a video with neutral music or none?

36. pvloon

pvloon

Oh sure, that's stupid. I changed the music, should be processed in about 10 mins.

37. pvloon

pvloon

Right, quick update.

V1.15 unfortunatly got turned down because I accidently included a test script which wouldn't compille.

The good news is, is that the most important part of v1.2 is done, so im dubbing this to version 1.2

I bring you: Tooltips!
    it's a small popup menu that shows you some info about a var. There are three ways to add these:

Method 1. Through the editor, like you're used to (next to the name of the variable is now a toggle and textfield)
    You can see a screeny in the OP.

It has just been submitted to the asset store, stay tuned.

38. pvloon

pvloon

Wow, they're quick! New version is up in the asset store :)

39. Samb88

Samb88

Thanks, this is very helpful.
    2D Jump'n'Run Framework with inspector++ inspectors coming in the next few days :)

40. Samb88

Samb88

Hey, sorry for the double post buuut:
    Are those "Speechbubbles" necessary for the tooltips? They "destroy" the look of the inspector, because they have a fixed hight and the variable is moves to the right :)
    Also, could you make the background of the tooltip solid? The transparancy make them hard to read (maybe a unity pro layout colors problem?)

Thanks again! :)

Edit:
    Also a small bug because if the speech bubbles:
    If you limit a var and set it to "range" there will be a slider to adjust the value. But if you activate the tooltip, the slider will be gone!

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  41. pvloon

pvloon

Thanks for your post! The speech bubbles do take up some space indeed, I need some way to indicate that this var has a tooltip though. I will see if I can do something a bit more subtle.
    The opacity is weird. It annoyed me as well, so I actually made it it opaque. Might have to do something with the pro skin indeed, will look into it. Same thing for the sliders.

Glad you (mostly) enjoy it though, will send you fixes when they're done.

42. pvloon

pvloon

V1.3 is here!
    -You can now rename your vars
    -Toggle groups
    -Updates no longer overrides your old inspector
    -SaveToFile function completely re-written

-fixes sliders and tooltips
    -Some more bug fixes and optimizations

Thanks to Samb88 for his feedback :)

43. pvloon

pvloon

Hmm, intrest seems to be 'fading' away to say the least. What would people want to see? Editor window support? Bold / italic labels? Animated inspectors? More scene options? Waypoints from Transform / Vector3 array?

44. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is it possible to integrate this into playmaker?
    So I can have a window with all the playmaker variables both globals and locals?

Thanks

45. pvloon

pvloon

I don't know how playmakers works, I've never used it. It sounds like something completely out of the scope of Inspector++. It is a good idea, but would require totally different code, if I can guess how playmaker works.

46. pvloon

pvloon

v1.3 has been officially approved! You can download it now in the asset store.

So far I have planned for v1.4:
    -Fingergestures inspectors
    -bold and italic labels
    -options for arrays (think of vector handles for each vector in the array, or sliders for numbers, etc!)
    -Transform / vector array to waypoints in the scene
    -Highlight transform

47. Mark_T

Mark_T

I`m sure Inspector ++ will be highly appreciated by the Playmaker community.
    Take a look at Playmakers`s API Reference, maybe you find a way to make it work.
    Cheers,

48. pvloon

pvloon

Hi, sorry for the late response.

I looked into it, and it would be sort of the same functionality as Inspector++ would do, but it's still a lot of code that needs to be changed. Maybe I would do it if I had Playmaker already, but I don't want to buy it just for this (unless someone rich is willing to buy Inspector++ for 10$ plus the price of Playmaker, haha :p)

49. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hi P v loon,

Cool looking product! I'll happily send you a copy of Playmaker if you're interested in developing for it. Email or PM me...

Cheers,
    Alex

50. pvloon

pvloon

Wow, that'd be great :) I pmed you!

I will look at what I can do, stay tuned for playmaker support :)