Search Unity

[SUBMITTED] HyperGlyph - stroke/vector based Gesture Recognizer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JacobPennock, May 14, 2012.

1. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

Hey Unity community! This is my first plugin release to the asset store. Its called HyperGlyph and is a stroke based gesture recognizer. It lets you match player drawn shapes against your own gesture templates very quickly and easily.

Maybe you are making a platformer/beat-um-up where the players must draw spells to do power attacks or maybe you are dreaming up a star fleet commander game where player drawn shapes control ship formations, maybe an Ōkami or Infinity Blade clone? I don't know, but this plugin will help make it super easy.

Gesture Sets work just like any other standard unity asset, with inspector previews of templates and the works.

I have been a HCI/gestural interactions researcher for a number of years. The underlying algorithm is very accurate and was designed for use in games from the start. It is about as, if not more accurate then any other system you will find. But more then most other systems, even though it is very good at matching input to things within the gesture set it is also very good at rejecting false positives and input outside of the template set. So no more situations like the player scribbles anything he wants and the power attack happens. How strict the recognizer should be as well as other options are easily configurable through the inspector.

Here is a quick video of it running on an android tablet compared to the $1 recognition algorithm:

Supports Unity free and pro with themes for each skin.
    Supports all build targets. (At least it should, I have not tried flash)

I submitted over the weekend so hopefully it should be in the store sometime this week.
    I'm pricing it at $25 till the end of June and then $50 after that.

Please let me know what you think, or ask any questions you might have.

Update it is now available in the store!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Looks very cool!

3. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

4. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I would be interested in a plugin like that as long as you allow us to define new gestures, not only in the editor, but also at runtime. I'm thinking about allowing the player to define his own gestures and link those gestures to different game actions.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

Currently there is not an easy way to add new gestures at runtime. You could make it work without too much trouble if implemented your own methods of creating and saving gesture sets based off mine. But unless you where careful about how you implemented it, you would likely only be able to use templates created in game.

That being said, I'm working on an update that will allow the easy mixing and matching of editor and runtime created gesture templates.
    It will likely be ready about the time this plugin goes up in price.

6. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

Here is a little prototype with an example of some of the kinds of gameplay you could create with HyperGlyph.

7. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Very cool, I've just twitted about it :) Gratz!

8. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Cool video.
    It's nice to hear you are working on mixing editor-defined and runtime-created gestures :)

9. dragonstar

dragonstar

that work for IOS or only for android ?

10. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

It should work fine on iOS, but I have not tested on iOS as I only have an android pro license at the moment.

11. imtrobin

imtrobin

The demo scene has a null reference exception, can fix that in next update?

12. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

Firstly thanks for getting my plugin! If you could please send me an email at customersupport@unicornforestgames.com with some more details (things like the line number the null reference is happening on) I'll be happy to look into that for you.

As submitted I don't think there was a null reference, and I doubt unity would accept it if the demo had one. Did you maybe edit the example gesture template set? If one of your templates doesn't have any points added to it, right now, that will cause a null reference and you should also get another error that say something like "recognizer not ready". In the update I'm adding better checks to make sure that doesn't happen and a little warning icon if any of your templates is missing points.

Thanks again for getting my plugin.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  13. imtrobin

imtrobin

The sample scene does not have a default gesture set.

14. JacobPennock

JacobPennock

Included in the example folder is a Gesture template set called ExampleGestureSet. It needs to be assigned through in inspector when you click on the example gameObject which has the SimpleGestureExample script attached to it. All of this was already setup in the provided example scene.

Also please email me at customersupport@unicornforestgames.com concerning this or any future issues I would really rather provide support to individuals though email then on a public forum.

15. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Hi,
    first of all, thank you for this great tool !
    I would like to know if we can use this lib with multi line drawings ? I would like to recognise a drawing made with multiple cut lines. For example "II" is done with two straight lines.

I'm asking that because the gesture set creator restart the template when you release the mouse, so we can't achieve multiple lines.

Thank you in advance for your precious help ;)

16. apocriva

apocriva

Does this addon work with Unity 4.3?