Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

EFI-X allows PC to install Leopard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tibbar, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Tibbar

Tibbar

For all those that keep asking, soon you may be able to run Unity on your PC...

This device enables you to install and boot Leopard on certain PC hardware without any hacks. The most important part is that you can update Leopard using Software Update without fear of kernel panics or other issues.

EFI-X is seen as filling the desktop gap in Apple's product line-up; now people can use mainstream quad-core processors and swap in powerful graphics cards without having to purchase server-grade Mac Pros. One can price a system that beats the Mac Pro in most benchmarks for less than $1000 (see Gizmodo review).

http://www.efi-x.com/
    http://gizmodo.com/5049756/review-efix-dongle-perfectly-transforms-pc-to-mac

At issue is whether Apple's EULA is legally enforceable (they say you can only install OS X on Apple-branded computers). Also, some wonder if EFI-X reverse engineered Apple firmware. It should be noted that EFI is an open standard, and if EFI-X makers wrote the code from scratch, there probably isn't much Apple can do about it. Especially since they're not in the USA.

Reactions are across the spectrum.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/16/efix-allows-mac-os-x-to-boot-on-a-pc/
    Some Apple die-hards are furious that the unwashed are able to use their less expensive but powerful gaming PCs to run OS X. They're already declaring it "illegal". At the other end is the Hackintosh underground who are also angry that a device such as EFI-X is being commercialized when free alternatives exist (such as Boot 132). Besides, hackers never like it when things "just work" like EFI-X. :wink: Others are thrilled that affordable, upgradeable, OS X power is now possible without having to shell out over $2000 for it.

2. Tibbar

Tibbar

I should mention that unlike the Psystar debacle, EFI-X makers are only selling a USB device which can be used for booting Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. They're not selling PCs with hacked versions of Leopard installed that break on update. EFI-X accommodates retail installs of those operating systems.

3. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

Philosophically, I say it's taking advantage of Apple's pricing structure in an "unfair" way.

Apple subsidizes their software costs partially with higher margins on hardware sales. It helps them innovate and take risks that others then play catch up with (all-in-one desktops, iPod, iPhone.)

Apple will have to roll with all these punches, of course, but I REALLY LIKE what Apple is accomplishing. Don't really want to be part of beating them into another Dell or Microsoft or whatever.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sick of the empty product space between an iMac and a Mac Pro. Best case scenario (from my perspective) is Apple finding a way to fill that space and manage to remain the trailblazing company it has always tried to be. After all, these workarounds are arising out of market demand. If Apple doesn't find a way to supply it, someone else will. (See music CDs.)

4. Tibbar

Tibbar

I personally hope that EFI-X will spark an increase in the sales of OS X (assuming the enthusiasts that use EFI-X will purchase Leopard).

5. MatthewW

MatthewW

From an abstract position I think exploiting a business model is fair. Let's say a company practically gives away tennis rackets, but makes money renting expensive tennis courts. Is it wrong to buy cheap tennis rackets and use them to play racquetball (where courts are plentiful and inexpensive)?

In my opinion, twisting laws into protecting very specific business models is bad (ie the DMCA and its myriad of applications).

Curious to see how prevalent EFI-X becomes in the wild, and if Apple takes any steps against it...

6. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

IMHO EFI-X is just a EFI emulator wrapped in a nice (and expensive) pendrive. The drawback is you are still tied with a specific hardware configuration to install a hackingtosh and this gadget can become incompatible in a near future.

7. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

Its only a matter of time before apple give up the ghost and make PCs and forget there operating system

not talking today or tomorrow but give it a few years and when the kitchen hots up watch apple give it up its gonna happen i am the oracle :D

8. socksy

socksy

Sure, if you're willing to write the kext device drivers for such top of the range cards. Otherwise you might not get all the power out of such cards...

9. llavigne

llavigne

Great hack - although you still have to use Apple supported hardware and firmware v#

10. Tibbar

Tibbar

You guys haven't read the product review or the site. EFI-X supports 16 nVidia and 2 ATI graphics cards, a large range of Intel processors, 14 motherboard variants, and multiple sound cards out of the box. There are no kexts for the user to install, much less write.

11. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Are you sure you're in the right thread? The very point of this topic is that a lot of people want the operating system from apple *not* the hardware.

Regarding EFI-X: Wouldn't installing OS X on a generic pc using that tech, still violate the EULA?

12. OXYGEN

OXYGEN

valid point Angry Ant

13. polytropoi

polytropoi

I wonder if any gaming laptops out there would meet the hardware requirements, like this one.

There's at least as big a gap between Macbook and MPB as there is between iMac and MacPro, IMO. I'm planning on a new slab around Christmas, but I could use that extra 1500 for Unity iPhone!

14. raleighr3

raleighr3

Um, even though this EFI-X device supports multiple types of hardware, to run OS X you'll still be restricted to the same devices Apple supports.
    CPUs and MBs are not so much of a problem as the Video, Network and Audio devices are.

The EFI only provides a very basic driver for these devices and (typically) only during boot, once the OS is loaded it's drivers are loaded and take over.