Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Thumb Sticks for Mobile - RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DaphydTheBard, May 11, 2012.

1. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Save valuable development time with this easy to use, drag-and-drop solution for implementing virtual thumbsticks into your mobile game!

Single-Stick Dual-Stick prefabs included.

Fully commented source code, drag-and-drop ready to use prefabs, demo scene and documentation included.

Fully tested on Android.

Price: Now $10

Get it here: http://u3d.as/content/vertex-stream/virtual-thumbsticks/2Vr

$example.png
    $Image3.png

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

BTW the big pink textures and all the debug text are optional and can be turned on and off at will.

3. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Price is now set at $10.

4. mimminito

mimminito

What does this offer over the standard controls that Unity offers for Mobile? It would appear you are using the same textures that Unity distribute, is this legal?

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

How are these any better than the thumbsticks found in Unity's Penelope Iphone tutorial?

6. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

This is a drag and drop solution which is not tied to any particular game setup. I couldn't get the penelope stuff to work outside of the project, it's too closely bound to the other classes.

Hence why I developed a standalone solution, that you can literally just drag and drop into your scene.

7. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

And it's very easy to setup dual-stick controls. Just drag two prefabs into your scene, and tell each one in the inspector where on - screen to reside. My code doesn't care about character controllers, etc. which the penelope stuff does.

This is intended to be a completely standalone solution for thumbsticks which can be integrated into any game very rapidly and easily.

8. mimminito

mimminito

Sorry, but the standard assets (mobile) package seems to do the same thing, and you appear to be using the same graphics which came with the Unity Free download. Did you get permission to use and sell them?

9. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

If you want to use the thumbstick code that comes with the unity mobile package, then go right ahead, I'm not stopping you.

I'm selling the code I have written, not the single thumbstick texture which I have used in the package. If unity complain that I have included their (freely available) texture in my package (which they haven't) then I shall replace it with a texture of my own.

10. Likos1

Likos1

This looks great. One question though, can I make one of the sticks invisible?

11. Mickman

Mickman

If this is a simple drag and drop option this is not violating Unity3D. It is a great and effective method of getting the job done quickly

Nice work

p.s You mention that " code doesn't care about character controllers, etc. which the penelope stuff does. "

I would like to control a small character that walks around, jumps etc...