Search Unity

Rotorz Tile System for painting 2D and 3D tiles!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by numberkruncher, May 10, 2012.

1. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

$forum-header.jpg

Paint scenes easily using 2D or 3D tiles. Work with multiple systems at different scales to design a variety of experiences from platform action to top-down shooters.

Learn More | Features | User Guide | API Reference | Release Notes | Official Forums

Price: $55.00 View in Asset Store

$ui-overview.jpg

Key Features
    • Design brushes using an intuitive user interface
    • Paint, Cycle, Fill, Picker, Line, Rectangle, Spray and Plop Tools
    • A range of different brush types
    • Control over how tiles connect with one another
    • Combine static tiles and other optimizations
    • Paint tiles at runtime using API
    • Easily create brushes for 2D tilesets
    • Categorize brushes for easier selection
    Getting Started

Frequent Questions

Painted tiles are not positioned/rotated/scaled as expected?
    This can be resolved in your modelling software or alternatively by using the Apply Prefab Transform feature and/or Scale Mode for affected brushes. The Use as Prefab Offset feature aims to make this process even simpler!

Can tiles be pooled at runtime to improve performance?
    A custom pooling solution can be integrated into the painting/erasing of tiles (or attachments) that are instantiated from prefabs by providing your own object factory implementation. Effectively this allows you to integrate an existing solution or to implement your very own.

An object factory adding support for PoolManager by Path-o-logical Games is already available in the form of the open-source script RtsPoolManagerObjectFactory.

Does Rotorz Tile System work with PlayMaker?
    A selection of open-source actions are available allowing you to interact with tile systems at runtime which can be downloaded from the repository RtsPlayMakerActions. And of course you can utilise the runtime API to implement your own custom actions for use with PlayMaker!

More FAQs | Troubleshooting Guide | Official Forums

See Rotorz Tile System in Action!

Rotorz Tile System now has its own forums!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

This post has been updated to reflect version 2.0.0:

Tilesets and Tileset Brushes can be created to paint 2D tiles:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I have also done a quick demo video showing how a Munchy Bunny! level is created using Rotorz Tile System:

4. AntFitch

AntFitch

Hi there, I think this looks like a neat tool, but I have some questions.

-Can you let the player change a level, save the level, and re-open the saved level?
    -What is the FPS for a map that has 100x100 tiles w/colliders? Optimization-wise, how does it compare with Tidy Tile Mapper and UniTile?
    -Can you animate tiles?
    -The price is very high for a new tool that doesn't have reviews. Other similar tools are much less expensive. If you lower the price, can you let me know? I'd buy it for around $40.

Other than that, nice work!

(LOL, your tutorial uses the same soundtrack I used for a game I released a few years ago! Ah, the memories! :D )

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hi amaranth!

The process of saving and opening levels at runtime would need to be custom implemented for your specific needs. This can be achieved in a number of ways, but generally an XML or JSON approach will do the trick.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to a good frame rate. All of the usual rules apply as with any other game that is made using Unity. What I can say is that our extension includes a build function that combines static tiles (that share the same material) which can lead to better performance.

As always, keep the number of draw calls to a minimum, only use colliders when needed, ensure that your shaders and scripts are as optimal as possible, ensure that meshes are optimal, etc.

If you are doing a top-down game, then you might want to use a single large plane for the ground and then paint your walls and decals on top. Our system aims to make it easier to place objects that you would otherwise have to place using vertex snapping (or similar).

If you find that either the editor or game slow down then you may need to change your workflow. For example, composing your level from multiple smaller tile systems.

In our game Munchy Bunny there are two tile systems on each level:
    • 100 rows by 300 columns (for larger tiles)
    • 300 rows by 900 columns (for smaller tiles)

But it is important to note that only the required tiles are filled in. Empty tiles do not contain any sort of placeholder.

I will start by saying that I have never used UniTile and so I will not be making any comparison there. I have heard good things about UniTile, but I haven't had any experience with it.

As you may have read, I was using Tidy Tile Mapper in Munchy Bunny at the start of the project. It works on the same core basis as our extension, painting instances of prefabs. So strictly speaking the same optimization rules apply as with our extension... with a few differences.

Tidy Tile Mapper is an excellent extension, but I encountered a number of limitations which made it extremely difficult to use during the creation of Munchy Bunny.

Each empty tile is represented by a placeholder object which Tidy Tile Mapper uses to detect the painting of tiles. Tidy Tile Mapper includes several features which make extensive use of this construction (pulling tiles into 3rd dimension to form pyramids or hills).

By the time I had created a level for Munchy Bunny the Unity editor was running very slowly and the process of painting tiles was painfully slow. As I have already mentioned I needed to be able to paint with two tile sizes, which meant that I needed to have two tile systems occupy the same space. This meant that the tile systems had to be separated to work on them, and then moved back together afterwards. In addition to making small changes frustrating, it caused Unity to crash a number of times due to the number of tiles that were being moved.

Rotorz Tile System overcomes these limitations because the grid is not represented with colliders, but instead with a virtual grid. It is possible to switch between multiple tile systems (that occupy the same space) without needing to separate them. Obviously if you were to fill a large tile system completely then it will run just as slow as Tidy Tile Mapper. One of the motivations here was to overcome the need for empty objects.

Munchy Bunny runs very smoothly on iPhone and iPad devices with an average of between 29 and 30 fps (with the default Unity mobile target frame rate, 30 fps). On PC and Mac the fps for Munchy Bunny is obviously a lot higher.

Yes, in the same way as you animate any Game Object in Unity.

If working with 2D sprite sheets then you will need to use (or create) an animated sprite manager. There are a couple of very good ones available for Unity which I can point you to if your interested.

I am afraid that there are no plans to reduce the price at this stage. Follow us on Twitter @rotorzlimited to keep up to date with the latest :)

I used this music in Munchy Bunny. I would be very interested to see your game, is it available?

The following post from my blog may be of interest to you:
    http://leahayes.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/easily-create-levels-for-unity-3d-using-rotorz-tile-system/

A free demo of Munchy Bunny is available as an extension for Google Chrome:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...blobeddalkjfpdjafh?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Please do not hesitate to ask further questions!

6. AntFitch

AntFitch

Testing the tool right now. Very polished. More polished than the other tools I've tried and no lag. Gotta say, this could be the next big thing. :)

A few questions:

• Is there a revert function for drawing, like Ctrl-Z?
    -

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  7. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Thank you!

I am afraid that there is no undo/redo functionality for the drawing of tiles. Unity tends to save the scene each time an undo action is created. This is fine for most things, but this made the drawing process extremely slow.

Despite searching through the Unity reference documentation and forums I was unable to find an acceptable solution for this. I am open to suggestions that other Unity developers may have though!

8. AntFitch

AntFitch

Requests. :)

• In the Create Brushes from Atlas window, can we have copy/paste supported in text fields?
    • Is there a way to delete multiple brushes at one time? I imported a large tilesheet that I didn't need and had to delete 64 brushes one-by-one. Answer: Delete prefabs in Project > TilePrefabs >[Tileset Name] folder.
    • Is there a place to view information about the grid? For example, the coordinates for the currently highlighted tile, the content of the currently highlighted tile.

For the Ctrl-Z question, this is something supported in UniTile. The dev stated that this functionality was tied directly to Unity's Undo/Redo buttons. It's only used for drawing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. AntFitch

AntFitch

More questions. If I find answers, I'll list them as I go. I figure they may be helpful for others.

I created a map that uses 32x32x32 tiles. I used the 2D auto-tiling tutorial to create an autotile. When I use the autotile, the tiles appear to be 1x1x1. Is there a way to change this size somewhere? (Note: this doesn't happen when I draw the 2D tiles directly.)
    ANSWER: In Brush Designer, select Tile > Scale Mode.

Also, is there a way to avoid pixel bleed? In the image below, pixels from another tile appear to bleed into the tile I'm painting. If you zoom in on my brush, you'll see that the bleed isn't in it.
    ANSWER: Only use tilesheets that are square. 512x512, 1024x1024, etc.

I love that you can build autotile brushes. I've run into a problem, however. In the image below, do you know what logic I would use to paint the following tile? Right now when I paint an empty tile on the left, I get a nice stone box. When I paint an empty tile on the right, I get a stone box with the right side missing. I need to have two stone boxes. I have a tile for this, but I'm not sure how to apply it via autotile.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

The usual Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V (Cmd+C and Cmd+V) shortcuts should already work, but I will verify this

When importing your tiles simply leave the name field blank to exclude from import. If you have already imported your brushes simply delete the brush prefabs form the "TilePrefabs" folder in your project.

Not at present but this could be added easily.

I will have another look into this to see how they might be achieving this.

For 2D tiles ensure that mip mapping is disabled and that you are using power of 2 texture sizes.

Yes, this is what brush groups were designed for. This would work in essentially the same way as the 2.5D example platforms that are provided. There is a large piece, a smaller piece and a connector piece whose job is to bridge the gap.

To create your tiles you would probably need two oriented brushes (with the same group number). The following text illustration will probably make very little sense, I will create an illustration using Photoshop tomorrow (A = regular tile, B = connector)

AABAA
    AABAA
    AABAA

The orientations of the connector brushes would be:

I hope that this is of help to you, but feel free to ask away!

11. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Another note for 2D texture atlases:

Ensure the filtering is set to "Point" instead of "Bilinear"

12. AntFitch

AntFitch

This is a great product! Thank you for creating it. Best tile editor I've found.

13. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

14. AntFitch

AntFitch

It looks great, thank you!

15. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Asset Madness is on!! 50% off Rotorz Tile System for limited time only!!

16. oddgoo

oddgoo

Just want to say that I bought the system and Im enjoying it a lot! It´s very fast and competent.

17. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Awesome, I am glad that you like it!

18. sefou

sefou

Hi numbercruncher,

The Brush Designer is emty ; when i try to Detect and Refresh Brushes , i get this error message :

MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEditor.EditorUtility.GetAssetPreview'.

I use Unity 4b8

Thanks

19. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hello sefou

I am afraid that the current release of Rotorz Tile System does not work with the Unity 4 beta release. There are a number of issues, the missing method exception that you report being one of them. This exception is thrown because Unity Technologies have relocated the function in question.

These problems have already been addressed in the upcoming version 2.0.0 of Rotorz Tile System which will be released soon.

Many thanks

20. AntFitch

AntFitch

If anyone is curious, here is something we created with Rotorz Tile System. There are four layers here. Everything in the foreground has its own collider, water is animated, stars twinkle. Tiles in the front are 64x64, tiles in the back are 512x512. Using the auto-tiling feature on the blocks in the front so that drawing is quick. No grid outline appears around tiles (so annoying and has happened with other systems). I can look up tons of information about each tile. I can make HUGE maps. Works well with ex2D, which I'm using for sprites. Oh yeah, most important: FPS is fast!!! This system is a well-oiled-machine!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  21. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

Hey, great screen there amaranth! Could I please ask if you could show us the same shot from an angle in the scene view? I think I understand what you've describe, but you know "a picture..." and all that ;).

22. jjrincon

jjrincon

Hi there

When you expect to have the system working for Unity4? i purchased it some time ago and now that i am trying to use it i see this doesn't work on my Beta 11 of Unity 4.

Thanks

23. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hello jjrincon,

Thank you for purchasing Rotorz Tile System! The current release is only compatible with the current stable release of Unity 3.

The next version of Rotorz Tile System (which is under development) is currently compatible with both Unity 3 and Unity 4. Rotorz Tile System 2.0 is a significant update which includes a lot of yummy new features that have been requested which will be released when all of the new features have been completed, tested and documented.

General information for all Rotorz Tile System users:

Whilst all Unity 4 incompatibilities with Rotorz Tile System have already been resolved for Beta 11 of Unity 4, there is every chance that further changes will be made to Unity 4 which will require further changes to Rotorz Tile System. Please remember that Unity 4 itself is currently a BETA product.

Rotorz Tile System 2.0 will be installed alongside prior Rotorz Tile System 1.x installs and includes an upgrade wizard which upgrades brushes and tile systems in a way that is relatively straightforward. Having personally spent quite some time discussing the upgrade mechanism with other extension developers and staff from Unity Technologies it seems that this is the best way to tackle the upgrade. Obviously if you are using Rotorz Tile System 2.0 for the first time then you will not need to worry about the upgrade process.

To put minds at ease, the upgrade to Rotorz Tile System 2.0 will be free for existing 1.x customers.

Many thanks

24. theprojectabot

theprojectabot

amaranth just sold me on this system.

25. AntFitch

AntFitch

Actually, my game is 2D, so no angles. You can create both 2D and 3D with Rotorz. :)

I tested Tidy Tile Mapper and UniTile for months until I came to the realization that they weren't tough enough for the game I was making. I really don't like wasting money, so I was very hesitant to try yet another tile mapping product. Luckily, Rotorz turned out to be the most professional of them all with a much larger feature set and a nicer UI. Rotorz has a huge API if you want to have all sorts of crazy fun with your tiling in the editor or during gameplay. (sandbox game, anyone?)

Okay, now I'm gushing, but this is my FAVORITE purchase from the Unity Asset store. This one and NGUI made my year.

Here's another image from the game. This one is the same place, but in the daytime:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  26. theprojectabot

theprojectabot

Amaranth, or Rotorz got any tutorials on your workflows for creating textures for the blocks? I noticed how Rotorz blocks are gen'd but Id like to know the workflow to make them this way. Both 2d and 3d.

I see in the brush designer the material
    from -> to but im a bit confused by that. Is the default material mapped to a unwrap texture and then the 'to' texture is the sourced unwrap result?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  27. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Each 2D atlas brush is accompanied by an automatically generated mesh which consists of two triangles with 4 shared vertices. The UV coordinates for each generated tile is inset by half a pixel to reduce the bleeding effect that occurs at the seams between tiles. In the next release of Rotorz Tile System there is an option to define a custom border size which allows artists to add additional borders around each of their tiles (the option for insetting UVs will still be available).

The provided 3D platform brushes are not generated on-the-fly, they were modelled using Blender. The textures are mapped to the geometry using the modelling packages UV mapping facilities. The "Grass" and "Cave" textures include additional border space to avoid seams at joins.

When creating custom models for a 3D world you will need to map the models polygons to the texture using its UV coordinates. Most modelling packages provide UV mapping capabilities for this exact purpose. It is advisable to add additional space around each UV island in your texture to allow for texture filtering and mip-mapping. This is useful to avoid unintended seams from occurring.

There are many great tutorial videos for UV mapping around the Internet. I would strongly recommend searching through some of the fantastic videos on YouTube that are relevant to the modelling package that you are using.

I hope that this helps with your question, please feel free to follow up with further questions!

28. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

If you want to create custom textures for the 3D "Smooth Platform" blocks that are provided with Rotorz Tile System then you can use the provided template (in the ZIP file in the "/Assets/Rotorz Tile System/Support/" directory). The template highlights the border space to make this process easier.

29. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

@theprojectabot Could you please post follow up messages as separate responses because edits often go unnoticed :)

So I take it you are trying to customise the "Smooth Platform" brush.

The brush designer allows you to remap one material with another. The `From` material identifies the original material that is used in the platform meshes and the `To` identifies the material that you would like to use instead. When you click the "Add Material Mapping" button the `From` material will usually be pre-filled for you. If it isn't, simply select the material "Assets/Rotorz Tile System/Materials/Default.mat" because that is the material used by the "Smooth Platform" master brush.

Custom textures for the "Smooth Platform" meshes must take the same form as the "Grass" and "Cave" textures (or of course the provided template image) because that is how the UV coordinates have been unwraped for those meshes.

30. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

IMPORTANT NOTICE

It is always important to backup your files before importing or updating any assets from the asset store. Likewise it is also important to backup your files before updating your projects between different versions of Unity.

Rotorz Tile System v1.1.3 has just been submitted for approval by the asset store team and will be available for download shortly. This new version is almost identical to v1.1.2 except that it a) works with Unity 4 and b) has a different brush creation window.

Unity 3.5.x users will be able to upgrade to v1.1.3 or directly to v2.0.0 (when it becomes available in the near future).
    Unity 4.x users will be able to upgrade from v1.1.3 to v2.0.0.

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding this.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  31. kimsama

kimsama

Hello,

Nice to hear about the new release of Rotorz.

My questions:

1) When the new 2.0 release will be available? (roughly?)
    2) Could you tell the new features of the Rotorz 2.0 before it is released?
    (Even it could not be found on its product or blog page)

Thanks,

-Kim

ps. I'm working with Rotorz on our 3D RPG project and it quite well fits on the project. :)

32. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

The user documentation is currently being drafted and the extension is being tested and refined.

The primary new features include:
    • New user interface design and refinements to existing user interfaces. The new version also better supports the dark Pro skin. The original tile system panel has been removed in favour of individual palette windows. There is also a new "Scene" palette which makes it easier to switch between tile systems at design time. The scene palette supports drag and drop for both re-ordering and filling object property fields.
    • Better support for 2D tile brushes. You now have the choice between non-procedural tileset brushes (similar to the former atlas brushes) and procedural tileset brushes which are presented with a procedural mesh instead of individual game objects (though individual game objects are still created if prefabs or colliders are attached).
    • Brush designer window now includes an interface for managing 2D tilesets which is significantly easier than the former atlas brush creator window.
    • There are more filtering options for brush selection lists including a search field. You can also mark brushes as favourite and filter by those. Tileset (former atlas) brushes are not shown in the main "Brushes" list by default (though this filtering option can be changed easily) because they now have their own tab which allows you to filter by tileset. You can either cherry pick the tileset brushes that you would like to show under "Brushes" by marking them as "Favourite" or you can just show them all if desired.
    • When painting you can now assign a primary and secondary brush meaning that the right mouse button can be used to paint with a secondary brush. In the current version the right mouse button just erases tiles.
    • New tool for drawing straight lines, plus there are a bunch of new keyboard shortcuts. The regular paint tool has supported line drawing for some time (by holding the Shift key), "Control" can now be held to draw horizontal or vertical lines. The dedicated line tool is easier for users who hate keyboard shortcuts :)
    • Advanced users can now define their own special kinds of brushes and register their own brush designer and creator interfaces. Users have always been able to define custom tools, well those users will now be happy to know that they can define their own tool parameter interfaces!
    • There is a new kind of brush, but I am not saying anything yet...
    • There are many other refinements which will be documented in the release notes.

$palette-interfaces.jpg

I hope that this wets your appetite a little.

Awesome that is fantastic!

33. AntFitch

AntFitch

Want!!! :D

34. hima

hima

This is awesome, and the screenshot from Amaranth looks really beautiful. I will definitely put this in my wish list :)

35. p6r

p6r

With the excellent Rotorz system I can do that very quickly and it's so easy to change the textures if needed...
    Thanks numberkruncher.

6R

36. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

@p6r Wow! that looks absolutely amazing, beautiful lighting and shadows!

37. AntFitch

AntFitch

@p6r That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Rotorz is addictive, isn't it? :D

38. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot...

Yes. This kind of clever plugins are great because it's usually very long to create maps, levels...
    Here we simply have to paint the background, the platforms and so on. Why spend time here because there are already a lot of things to do with coding ? :)
    And nothing is definitively done : we can change very easily and quickly the textures and the levels. I will make a video to show that...

6R

39. p6r

p6r

If I want to add an object (like your diamond), this object looks very very very small from your rotorz system... But it is much bigger if I simply drag and drop it on the scene !?!
    Could you help me, please ?

6R

40. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hello 6R

Try setting the "Apply Prefab Transforms" option (in Extended Properties panel) for your brush using the brush designer. This will enforce the prefab scale.

Please let me know how this goes!

41. p6r

p6r

I just sent you an e-mail...
    Thanks for your help.

6R

42. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

What are the main differences between this tool and Tidy Tile Mapper?

43. AntFitch

AntFitch

Polish.

44. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

I wrote to my blog regarding some of the original motivations behind Rotorz Tile System: http://leahayes.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/easily-create-levels-for-unity-3d-using-rotorz-tile-system/ (see comments)

Here are some key differences between RTS and TTM:
    • TTM uses placeholder box colliders (one for each tile) to detect which tiles are being painted on. RTS uses a virtual grid which performs a lot more efficiently.
    • RTS does not have the tool that pulls tiles out into pyramid/hill type shapes. This does not work so well with a virtual grid.
    • With RTS you can have multiple tile systems that occupy the same space with differing tile sizes.
    • RTS allows you to define whichever of the possible 256 orientations that you like, plus you have some control over the way in which tiles "orientate" against one another. TTM has a limited set of predefined orientations.
    • RTS includes other types of brush including alias and atlas (though atlas brushes have been superseded by tileset brushes in the upcoming RTS v2). RTS v2 also adds a new brush type to its arsenal.
    • RTS includes an optimisation utility which combines the meshes of tiles into singular meshes (by material and by chunk). This really helped a lot with Munchy Bunny because it reduced the number of draw calls plus it snaps vertices at joins to eliminate tiny gaps that are caused by floating point inaccuracy within modelling packages.

This is not a definitive list, but hopefully will give you some idea. For further information about Rotorz Tile System please see the following:

Also please take a look at some of the upcoming features from the forum post:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/13...ot-Rotorz-Tile-System-quot/page2#post_1078115

I would recommend that you compare the features of both products so that you get the one that works better for you. I hope that this helps you to make your decision.

45. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I already own TTM, but a good package like yours can be an add-on to our toolset. We focus on mobiles, so the low number of drawcalls seems vey positive here.

46. p6r

p6r

Problem solved... thanks to your fantastic support !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

47. Thomas Zighem

Thomas Zighem

Hi numberkruncher,

I have read all the posts about Rotorz Tiles mapper, but i still have some question before to buy it and use it for my project.

Im working on a Turn Based Strategy Game and the first thing i need to do is creating a world map. While in my precedent production i used a 2D isometric tiles, this time I decided to use Real Time 3D Cube Map. So ... if you look the screenshoot above, you see à preview of what i need to do :

1) The Tile Map is composed of 128x128 3D Cube Mesh (imported Mapped from Blender). To Simulate a height, i apply an Y-Offset on somes cubes (see the yellow line). Can i move a Rotorz Tile by script to simulate this ?

2) I need to acces to Tiles blocs infos to change textures depending on the height of Tile Offset (sea > sand > grass > rock) for example. Can i have an access to the Rotorz Tile Texture by script ?

3) Can i change the default Rotorz FBX Cube to insert a new one from Blender (a more detailled Cube for example) ?

Did you see some problems in using this method ?

Note : The red line on the screenshoot just indicate a 2D face billboard. I will use it for drawing a simple texture over a 3D Tile.
    Note 2 : For the moment i dont use any of Tile Mapping System, i have just instantiate some Game Object in a scene to take this screenshoot.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

PS : English is not my langage so i a am trying to do my best :) Sorry if i make some mistake.

Thomas ZIGHEM.

48. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Note: Each painted tile is an instance of a prefab.

You could write a custom script to adjust the 3rd dimension of painted tiles. You can access the game object that is associated with a tile and then access and adjust its transform component. This would need to be entirely custom implemented however because Rotorz Tile System is only designed to work in 2 dimensions.

You can manually offset tiles that have been painted by selecting them and dragging them upwards/downwards using the regular Unity "Move" tool. These types of manual tweaks are preserved where possible but are sometimes reset if such tiles are refreshed or repainted.

To change the texture that is associated with a tile mesh you can access the game object for the tile, lookup the MeshRenderer component, and then change its material. You can access its position via its Transform component.

For example:

Code (csharp):
    1. TileData someTile = tileSystem.GetTile(10, 10);
    3. // If the tile is not empty and the associated game object exists...
    4. if (someTile != null  someTile.gameObject != null) {
    5.     MeshRenderer renderer = someTile.gameObject.renderer as MeshRenderer;
    6.     if (renderer != null) {
    7.         renderer.sharedMaterial = yourOtherMaterial;
    8.     }
    9. }
    Please see the API documentation for TileData (http://rotorz.com/tilesystem/api?ref=228f7e4c-db21-d283-4efa-3bc7cb10b47a) for more information.

Rotorz Tile System does not define how textures and materials are applied to 3D tiles. You have full control over this. Here is the general procedure:
    • Create and map your mesh (a cube in this case) using Blender.
    • Import mesh into Unity, prepare the material, create a prefab of your tile.
    • Create a brush using the Rotorz Tile System brush designer window.

Rotorz Tile System does not include a default FBX cube. However it does include a "Smooth Platform" mesh and brush which can be re-skinned to create custom smooth platform brushes. Any other types of brush must be custom made using a modelling package like Blender. You can import your own textured cubes and create brushes for them.

Please take a look at page 43+ in the user guide to see how custom brushes can be defined: http://rotorz.com/tilesystem/user-guide.pdf

You can create brushes for any type of Unity prefab. You could create your billboard sprites using one of the fantastic sprite extensions and then create prefabs and brushes for those.

Rotorz Tile System instantiates game objects from prefabs and snaps those into the grid for effortless painting.

I hope that this is of help!

49. LinuxHacker

LinuxHacker

I would like to try this extention before purchasing it....anyone knows a trial version or another free tile system?

50. theprojectabot

theprojectabot

Hey there rotorz,

Im trying to make a ramp to use for this system. I understand grouping orientations with my new block but Im getting seams when I have the ramp on top of something. The ramp itself is 1,1,1 and i have it sized to tilemap. Perhaps you could help me with this issue? I noticed you said give some padding to the uv maps so that they blend... is this what you are talking about?

Notice the seams on the bottom. Im going to have to make a ramp_joint with a vertical plane if I want it to join nicely with the block to its left. The issue is that seam at the bottom.