Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Might Magic 10: Children of the Void

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sean Hall, May 5, 2012.

1. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

About:

Might and Magic X will be the tenth installment of the famous RPG series, and will take place on the planet Axeoth, on the continent where Heroes IV was set, 15 years after the Reckoning of Enroth.

Mission:

To continue the lost stories of the original Might and Magic Universe and the mysterious Ancients!

Description:

Might Magic X: Children of the Void is a computer-based, first-person role playing game. M&MX will canonically connect to and continue the stories and lore from MM9 (The Writ of Fate) and Heroes IV (Untitled). The setting of the lands of M&MX will be the same as Heroes IV on the planet Axeoth, and will incorporate elements of both Heroes IV and MM9. Upon its completion, M&MX will be released for free, downloadable distribution, solely online, and will be designed to run on the Windows platform in English.

General information:

The Might and Magic series was originally created by Jon Van Caneghem of New World Computing in 1986, with the release of Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum. The series abruptly ended in 2003 with the game, Heroes of Might and Magic IV: Winds of War, when 3DO (NWC's parent company) filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Might and Magic was later sold to Ubisoft Entertainment, circa 2006, where they are continuing to develop the franchise alongside Nival Interactive. As of 2011, King's Bounty: Legions, and Might Magic Heroes VI are to be released.

Legal Disclaimer:

The brand "Might Magic" is a registered trademark of Ubisoft Entertainment, with all legal rights to the brand obtained by Ubisoft from 3DO and New World Computing.

The developers of M&MX fully recognizes Ubisoft's ownership of the brand and respects that Ubisoft has the right to override this project if it conflicts with their business agenda in any way, but we hope they will fully support us in our endeavors.

Team Overview:

Might and Magic X is brought to you by the MMX Design Team. For more information, please contact the producers of MMX: (Alamar) MMXAlamar@gmail.com, (Vector) MMXDesign@live.com

Might Magic X: Children of the Void (M&MX) is an entirely nonprofit and fan based computer game RPG development project, based on the award-winning Might and Magic series originally designed by New World Computing, 3DO, and currently owned, all rights reserved, by Ubisoft Entertainment. The developers of M&MX have no affiliation whatsoever with New World Computing, 3DO, and Ubisoft Entertainment, and are an independent group of game developers with the sole purpose of gaining experience in the field of game design, while creating a brand new game that will act as a fan made continuation of the famous Might and Magic series.

Team Listing

Project Leader:
    • Ari Wigdor

Level Design Department:

Landmass Designers:
    • Alvaro Gutierrez Lorenzo
    • Brandon Broadstone
    • Corry Hinks
    3D Modellers:
    • Sean Hall
    • Carl "Bizz" Terney
    • Christian Boyd Key
    • Rich Potter
    2D Concept Artists:
    • Will Dudla
    • Paul Kanthall
    • Reese Holland
    • Stanley Vay
    Graphic Design Department:
    • Bryce Booher [CA]
    • Farisai Makuto [CA]
    • Marko Markovic [CA]
    • Mirachandra Klostermann [CA]
    • Morgan Enns [CA]
    • Sam Mardon [CA]

Programming Department:
    • Christian Howe
    • Felix Bruckner
    • Jimmy Granger
    Sound Design Department:
    • Ryan Smith [SD]
    • Pierre-Olivier Laliberté [SD]
    • Jackson Marriott [SD]
    • Andrew Riechel [Music]
    • Jorem Lim [Music]
    • Tobias Mesch [Music]
    Writers:
    • Ari Wigdor
    • Jonathan Morgantini
    • Richard Veysey
    • Robert Lakatos
    • Ekrem Atamer
    • Xel
    • Nikolai Pushnoy
    • Aaron Hobson
    • Robert Smith
    Inactives:
    • Vector
    • Anie Miles

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Characters

Lysander Gryphonheart
    King of Palaedra

Long ago, necromancers attacked Lysander's family when he was a child, killing his parents and separating him from his siblings. He was wounded during the attack, and paralyzed for several years. A childhood of impotence has driven this young man to perform great deeds that have culminated in his founding of the Kingdom of Palaedra.

To this day, King Lysander continues to rule Palaedra and its provinces with incredible honor. He has brought the lands of Palaedra into a new era of expansion and prosperity, gathering resources from the land in preparation to forge an empire. Lysander has no regrets, but one strong desire. Aside from the growth of the world into a brand new age, Lysander seeks to find his long lost siblings. By but one small hint in the words of the great Oracle of the Dawn years ago, Lysander believes his brothers and sisters are still out there, somewhere. His hopes to someday find them is a blazing passion he keeps hidden from most.
    Oracle of the Dawn
    The Holy Witch of the Light

The Oracle of the Dawn lives in a temple that overlooks the horizon in the wilderness beyond he Kingdom of Palaedra. She is the wisest sage in this land and many look to her for answers, as she seems to have a connection to the Universe. Some speak of her using the title the "Holy Witch of Light," because she is believed to practice forbidden magics in the same league as witchcraft, but uses her powers to help travelers who pass her tests and make it all the way to stand before her. She deals with Saints and Souls, and she also knows the ways of Dark Magic, although she has never had to use her powers for violence, because none have wished ill upon her.

She makes her home at the top of a mountain that borders the great kingdoms of Palaedra and Great Arcan. It is a long journey to her location, and only the bravest, most dedicated and purest of heart will ever stand a chance of reaching her. The Oracle is human, but she has knowledge that far surpasses most mortals. She is a key figure in your ultimate quest to save the lands of Iranese and the rest of Axeoth. Her mystic way of speaking may leave you lost and confused, but you will find the true meaning of her wisdom when the time is ripe.
    Igdrasa
    The Goddess of Nature

Igdrasa, also known as Igdra, is the Goddess of Nature and the Mother of the Gods. She was among the ranks of the Hall of the Gods in Arslegard City before she was kidnapped by a powerful giant, Yanmir, and imprisoned in his fortress.

In MMIX, you have defeated Yanmir, and his body plunged into the ocean below, on the coasts of Frosgard. Unfortunately what you did not know is that Igdra was a prisoner at the upper level of Yanmir's Fort, as well as Ratatosk. You were too busy rescuing the children of Frosgard from being eaten by Yanmir, which is a noble and urgent task, so you have been forgiven by Krohn, King of the Gods.

Another misfortune is that Yanmir has not died. He survived the fall and made preparations to transfer the prisoners, Igdra and Ratatosk, from his fortress to another one across the oceans from Rysh on the continent of Iranese. This other fortress is much more secure and powerful, and is guarded by giants of equal and greater power than Yanmir himself, making it hundreds of times more dangerous.

May Krohn himself watch over you on your quest to save the Gods...
    Sheltem the Dark
    Misguided Mechanism of the Ancients

Across the starry void above Xeen lay the remains of two arch nemeses: Corak and Sheltem. Did you really expect them to float for eons to come? No, as a matter of fact, the Ancients had learned of Corak’s destruction, as they tracked their Coraks well. After the fact, reports had soon come in that two of the Ancients’ androids were decimated in a faraway sector of the galaxy near the Xeen project.

It took a while, but the Ancients had sent forth a salvage vessel to clean the remains of Corak and Sheltem. They had hoped to study Sheltem further to prevent any future malfunctions and perfect the technology of the Sheltem android. The vessel collected Sheltem’s remains and rebuilt him on the way to their nearest base.

Unbeknownst to the Ancients, after he was rebuilt, Sheltem managed to escape once again. And so continues the hunt for the dark warrior who has sworn vengeance upon the Ancients for separating him from his rightful home world, Terra, a little blue planet far across the stars.
    Nicolai Ironfist
    King of Mendossus, Prince of Enroth

It's been 15 years since the Reckoning of Enroth and since Prince Nicolai Ironfist teleported from the grounds of Castle Ironfist to the faraway town of Drangheim on Rysh, Axeoth. Nicolai has since then gone on to overthrow the evil King Ichvan XII of Mendossus and liberate the people of the towns Ronenhall, Heronport, Lachmon Cove, Farndale, A'Rikdun, and Minespring located on the vast country of Mendossus. Ichvan XII had been conscripting soldiers to fight a false battle across the Verhoffin Sea against the people of Chedian. No one knows what had become of the missing soldiers, but Ichvan XII's reign of terror has ended, and Nicolai Ironfist, leader of the Mendossan Resistance, has claimed the throne of Mendossus in Ronenhall, and now has established a strong relationship with the Jarls of Chedian.

In the lands of Chedian, where MM9 left us hanging, Jarl Kira the Cold and Jarl Bjarni Thorvaldssen have been wed, and their daughter, Hyjaratti Bjarnidotir, is 15 years old and still learning the ways of the Chedian people. King Ironfist has spent time training her at the request of Jarl Kira the Cold, and they have taken a liking to each other. Perhaps Nicolai will bring her along on his journey across the oceans to Iranese.

Who knows what is in store for these powerful, noble heroes? Maybe Tim Lang, lead designer of MM9, will reveal their true destinies in MMX...!

Environment Art:

Rhanwell

3. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Coming Soon.....

4. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Coming Soon

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  5. SevenBits

SevenBits

Very cool. I personally haven't played the games, but they look interesting.

6. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Thanks for your interest, this is the original MMX, but we are going to aim higher where graphics are concerned.

7. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Oh my dear God, finally someone is going to make good old MM like good old MM

8. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Not really, we are making it in better quality and in sort of a follow on and conclusion to the story.

9. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I just want to warn you before you get too far and then get shut down... game companies don't shut down people infringing their IP just because they're mean or want money. They legally HAVE to shut you down if you get enough visibility, or they forfeit their ability to maintain their IP. So you can't rely on a game company just being nice; even if they are nice, their lawyers are going to insist they shut you down. You guys giving the game away for free doesn't change that.

10. Prion Games

Prion Games

I got into a small over the phone disaster with Nintendo on my old Pokemon project, they said just about the same thing, I suggest making your own brand.

11. Prion Games

Prion Games

I got into a small over the phone disaster with Nintendo on my old Pokemon project, they said just about the same thing, I suggest making your own brand.

12. SteveJ

SteveJ

I tend to agree. I never understand these sorts of projects. Creating a video game - let alone an RPG - takes an enormous amount of work. If you're going to go to all that effort, wouldn't it just make more sense to create your own world, characters, and mythology and OWN the thing, rather than create something that could potentially be shut down at any moment (likely once you've put in a few hundred hours work).

13. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

As we are non profit, we can not really be stopped since we will not be making any money from the game. Although in the end. When we have fionished the Development we will be contacting Ubisoft by a contact we have. Either way we can not be shutdown as we are non profit.

14. vinman

vinman

I don't think profit or non-profit is the issue. As soon as you release it, Ubisoft will have to sent you a cease and desist letter. Most likely telling you they will sue if you release to the public (even as a WiP/Beta/whatever). You will not only not make money on this, you will actually loose money on laywers (which you can't win). If you have the resources in your opening post, it's better to come with an original IP.

15. ivanzu

ivanzu

You should contact ubisoft until you get further into development so you wont lose much work.

16. n0mad

n0mad

A strong warning about that assumption : http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-04/13/sega-shuts-down-streets-of-rage-remake
    This game was also non-profit, but it was shut down after 7 years of development and permission asking to Sega (who did not respond until the last time).

This case is popular, I thought every fan made remake would have at least heard of it.
    Be careful, people, when you intend to remake a popular license.
    Anyway if Ubisoft gives you a go, then good luck.

17. Paradigm-SW

Paradigm-SW

You're wrong. Non-profit or not, they HAVE to shut you down (as I believe has been stated earlier). You need direct and explicit permission or you WILL be shut down. Them's the rules.

18. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Indeed, never the less. Ubisoft have agreed to listen to us, as we have a contact inside them, any ways Ubisoft already know about this development as they most kindly joined our facebook page. What we are doing is making this game to a stage where we can show something, which we will then show Ubisoft.

19. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

I iwsh you good luck with this and hope they listen to you. How would they know it is non-profitable? It only takes one banner on your homepage and it starts to be profitable. If they think the project is not good enough it will destroy their reputation because people will say "what, I can't believe might and magic has gotten this crappy". I do not say your project will be crappy but they would not like to be involved with their name if it would come to that.

I am just amazed that you have so many people in the team and no one said "HALT! this might be a dangerous route we are treading, let's start with a completly different name, and sneak attack ubisoft with a nice demo before throwing the name in their face".

You seem to have a contact witch seem to boost your confidence that it is ok, but as stated before, when stepping on a very big dogs toe, it can sometimes bite ;)

As I said before, I really hope you can make this happen because I see you are alot of people who really want to make this happen so I hope they listen and work together with you in some way

20. ivanzu

ivanzu

Will follow this.

21. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

How many times have I seen this. Starcraft3d along time before starcraft2 came out (shutdown). Even Plasma pong was shutdown. 2 times I thought it was more then that but those were the only 2 examples I could think of.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  22. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

On the lighter side, we will be bringing you constant updates about our progress.

23. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

#Update, Check the first page to listen to our theme music.

24. Zed134

Zed134

Haven't played a game of this series but your concepts look very good. But since you are very big team and this doesn't look like a hobby project you should at least consider the point that someone might have to shut down this project when it becomes too professional. I know you've read that a hundred times now, but I am in a similar situation as you are!

As you can read in my signature I am setting up a sequel to the great N64 shooter Jet Force Gemini by Nintendo and Rareware. This is just a hobby project and there are just 2 persons working on it but it also faces the danger of being shut down although it is a non-profit project. To avoid loosing years of work I have written a storyline that can easily be changed without loosing its recurrent theme and we diverged from the style of the original so that, with a few color-, symbol-, name- and soundeffect changing, this game could stand for itself. It just wouln't be a Jet Force Gemini sequel anymore which would make me and the few fans we already have very sad but it would be unavoidable. You could still see that the game is inspired from Jet Force Gemini but using big alien ants as main enemies isn't copyright protected.

So according to the other posts in this thread you definatley should have a backup plan to make this baby your own thing when it comes to a copyright clash with ubisoft. But as long as this doens't happen I wish you guys good luck and I can't wait to see the first 3D models out of this concept stuff! :)

25. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

We all know that it is possible we will get shut-down, but if Ubisoft do not want anything to do with this development we will simply changing the name, logo and other various things to avoid copyright infringement. Even if we have to abandon the project, we all volunteered for it and we therefore lose or gain anything.

26. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

my sides!