Search Unity

Easy Water 2.0 - Mobile Compatible [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Grespon, May 3, 2012.

1. John-B

John-B

I'm trying to improve the flowing lava I've been trying to create with particles. I liked the way the water looked in my underground lake, so I thought I'd see if it could be used for lava too. I'm still not sure which I prefer. The water-based lava is definitely a lot more subtle. If you have any tips or suggestions about how best to make flowing lava, I'd like to hear them.

2. John-B

John-B

Could you recommend which shader(s) are best for iOS. I've tried several, and think I've settled on EW11_TT_B_D_O, which is giving me the look I want. It does however lower FPS on iPad a bit, though not nearly as much as Unity's Water Pro. I want transparency but don't need reflectivity with the lowest possible overhead.

One other thing I noticed, the water looks different in Unity 4 and 5. I've been experimenting in both versions, and the same shader with the same settings doesn't look quite the same.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. Grespon

Grespon

Well I don't have an iPad for testing.. I have an iPhone 4S I used to test it but I lent it to my ex wife when her phone was stolen. I remember having nice performance results. One of the most heavy things is the normal map. I was trying to find one without bumpmap.. something like EW00_TT_D_O (with textures, distortion, and opacity control) but I noticed I didn't make one hehe.. So I sent you a version inbox.

4. John-B

John-B

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Just curious, what does "Mobile Compatible" mean? I assumed that meant the shaders were tested on, and optimized for, mobile.

5. Grespon

Grespon

Yes, the pack was made with mobile development in mind. That's the reason for several options of shaders, with different qualities. Devices are never the same, some of them will obvioulsy not run some shaders at an acceptable speed. They were written and modified to work on a big range of mobiles, tested on several devices (Android, iOS and Blackberry), and optimized for them (including making use of these Apple's best practices for iOS shaders) . In fact, most Easy Water shaders will show artifacts on MALI 450 GPU based devices, because the GPU have a known issue with floating point precision that I never found a workaround.
    Today iOS is just a shadow of what it was years ago in Brazil. That's why I personally only keep an iPhone 4S, exclusive for testing. I can also test on an iPhone 5S but it runs everything so fine that I can't use it to find the best shader for iPad. For other Apple mobiles, I need help from users and friends to test for me because I don't own the hardwares.

6. Recon03

Recon03

Is this also a wave creator in the picture I seen a wave adjustment.. Looking for a good wave creator as well. for Android. No luck so far ..

Must also work well on Unity 5.

Also looking for one that works with Skyshop.

7. Grespon

Grespon

Hi, It creates wave effects in the normal (bumpmap) space of any mesh. I mean no displacement at all (so far). Mesh's vertices are not moved by the shader. Check the video tutorial and the web demo so you can have an idea.
    Regarding Skyshop, I never used it and I don't know how it works, so I can't tell you.. sorry.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  8. Recon03

Recon03

which video tutorial??

ya some shaders seem to break with Skyshop, so far sadly.

so this asset does have waves???

9. Grespon

Grespon

This video:

I mean the waves are not real, just lighting effects on the normal map. Vertices are not influenced by the shader.

10. Recon03

Recon03

Oh ok. ya have something close to that but that doesnt work for the game 'm working on. Thanks anyways.

11. Grespon

Grespon

You're welcome! For real mesh waves maybe you should take a look at Wave Creator or Megafiers, although you'll still need some descent shader to make the water surface. There's also Triton but it costs $475.. That's all I know..

12. Recon03

Recon03

I have wave creator but the support is a bit slow and breaks with Skyshop. . just going to make my own. I know how to write shaders but time = money . so buy some assets to save time.

13. eco_bach

eco_bach

14. Grespon

Grespon

15. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Does this asset use reflection probes / skybox for reflection?

16. Grespon

Grespon

Hi. It uses cubemap reflection.

17. dradb

dradb

I need to build an ocean scene, with moderate waves, running on mobiles. No foam, bouyancy or transparency needed. Ceto and the basic early version, look great but don't run on mobiles. Has anyone tried Easy Water with some displacement waves on the plane?

18. Image3d

Image3d

Hi Dradb,

Easy Water is the best water for mobile we have tested.

Several shader works with no problem for mobile ( you have try the shader that fits your needs ).

Just follow the tutorial on Youtube (
    )

Just create a plane and apply Easy Water material.

For displacement you can use several assets for making wave on a plane. We use Mega Fiers with several modifiers to achive the waves displacement.

You should pay attention if you are going to have floating boats on you ocean, since most of the techniques drop the frame bellow 10 frames per second on Mobile devices.

You can take a look at our work at http://is3d.com.br/tsm/TSMCharactersiPad.mp4 ( Work in Progress - Surf Test ).

The Surf Masters Universe Game.

Release 2016

19. vladibo

vladibo

Does it work with Gear VR?

20. Grespon

Grespon

I know very little about Gear VR. Is there any reason it wouldn't work?

21. koberko

koberko

Gear VR is just holder for cellphone (It's same as Google cardboard, but more fancy and 5x more expensive); It's not standalone device or "monitor" for PC as Oculus Rift or other similar devices..

So, you need to ask does it work on Android devices, especially with latest Samsung Galaxy devices, since that ones are only one that can be mounted in to Gear VR (so you basically need 100$ GearVR + 600$ Samsung cellphone for GearVR to work), and yes; it works on latest Galaxy models.

22. Grespon

Grespon

It doesn't look healthy for the eyes..
    but yeah EasyWater works on Android. :)

23. vladibo

vladibo

Unfortunately in reality it is not just a holder for a phone. It requires specific setting for VR not like just a regular mobile Android game. But I may still give it a try and see...

24. vladibo

vladibo

Oh it's perfectly fine.

25. vladibo

vladibo

Unfortunately it leads to quite a bit of frame rate drop. In VR it is not allowed. I need 60 all the time.

But still, great work for non Gear VR project I would recommend it

26. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hey Grespon, I just noticed that Easy Water is on sale in Level11. I'm using the latest version of Unity Pro 5.2.2. Before I purchase this can I confirm that all is working for this version of unity?

27. Grespon

Grespon

Yeah, it's on sale. I believe it's working fine.. I don't remember which version I have at home, but no one is complaining so it's probably working fine. And if it's not, I fix it.

28. AaronC

AaronC

Hi I've got a bit of a rendering queue issue with EW and trees. Do you have any tips for getting the billboard trees to render on top of the EW shader? Thanks (using EW14)
    Screenshot (57).png Screenshot (58).png

29. Grespon

Grespon

Hi,
    did you increase the Billboard Start value in the terrain settings?

30. AaronC

AaronC

yes but the rivers miles away and it would be a poor choice to do so performance wise.

Also building for desktop produces a lot of SM 2 errors, "shader needs 67 math somethings when theres only 64 available" <something like that

31. Grespon

Grespon

Changing line #pragma target 2.0 to #pragma target 3.0 must fix the sm 2 errors.

About the trees, Unity calculates what is behind according to the center of the objects, so large semitransparent objects suffer from these problems. A way through would be to use more objects align for the water planes.

AaronC likes this.
  32. AaronC

AaronC

What would that mean for a gpu only capable of SM2, do you know?

33. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

Hi Grespon, I finished the water surface easily, but have no clue how to crerate the underwater effects. Barrins creation of a video tutorial, is there any documentation for this? Thank you.

34. Grespon

Grespon

I really need to make a tutorial..
    Basically there is:
    - a caustic projector. You turn it on when the player is underwater and set it to affect only the layers you want.
    - the underwater plane needs to be placed at the same position as the water plane but facing down. Lights will be calculated from behind the object so, there's no need to change any light.
    - You can add some fog.
    - Sunshaft camera effect is also great.

35. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

36. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

Hi Grespon, I apologize if I seem dense, but I am getting nowhere with the underwater effects. I do not expect yopu to give me private lessons in shaders, but barring a proper tutorial, can you direct me to the place in the manual or other sources of lessons in using shaders - what I need to install your underwater and make it work? Thank you. :)

37. Grespon

Grespon

Well, I'm the one to apologize for not making a decent tutorial yet. First I would need to know where exactly you're stuck. A shader basically means a "script" that runs in a material to draw something in the object. Each shader has especific 'inputs' where you drag textures, change values, etc.

In the Underwater folder you'll find the UnderWater material which uses the underwater shader, right? It must be place in a plane facing down, or you can use the UnderWater prefab. Then you have the Caustics material, that uses the caustics shader. It's used by the projector (You can also use the prefab). That's all Easy Water have for underwater effects for now. Other effects like fog and sunshaft can be added with Unity's post processing effects.

You can contact me more easily at aruangrespan@gmail.com . For some reason I don't receive notifications from this thread sometimes.

38. John-B

John-B

I don't know if this is an Easy Water issue or a general shader issue. I have a water surface that uses the EW11_TT_B_D_O shader, and particle explosions that occur above the surface. The view is from above the surface. The problem I'm having is that when the particles fall down below the surface, they are rendered the same as they are above the surface. In other words, they don't get any dimmer when seen through the water surface, like everything else in the scene. This makes it appear that the particles never go below the surface. The only shader I can find that renders the particles correctly above and below the surface is Standard/Opaque. I can't find any shader that supports transparency that works, and I need transparency for the particles. Any suggestions for a transparent shader that will render correctly when seen through the water?

39. jagtapbhagwat

jagtapbhagwat

is it working for unity 5.3?

40. John-B

John-B

I ran into a few issues with the Animate script.

One is that the time-based animation doesn't work if you change the speed values in real time. If the speed remains constant frame to frame, it works fine. But if the speed value varies, like to show a change in speed, the texture moves at the wrong speed (acceleration) or direction (deceleration). The following change fixes this:

Change:
    texture1UV.y = Time.time * texture1Speed.y;
    To:
    texture1UV.y += Time.deltaTime * texture1Speed.y;

Also, I just learned that large texture offset values can be a problem on some platforms. To prevent the offsets from getting too large, I made the following change:

Change:
    GetComponent.<Renderer>().material.SetTextureOffset("_Texture1", texture1UV);
    To:
    GetComponent.<Renderer>().material.SetTextureOffset("_Texture1", Vector2(texture1UV.x % 1.0, texture1UV.y % 1.0));

41. tchris

tchris

I know it's been a year but if you're still having trouble I can help. I just got it all working with underwater stuff.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  42. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

I never really got the underwater FX thing to work either having virtually no experience with Unity before I bought the product. At the time though I was moving back into martial arts and so lost touch with Unity and only now getting back into it. And I'm moving slowly in a course in Unity starting in the 2D game creation, so it would be a good deal longer before I have to worry about underwater stuff again :).

43. tchris

tchris

Yeah I was a little confused but if you look at the example. There's just 2 things. The Underwater object which there's a prefab already there for. Then the Caustics Projector which you can see in the example too. The Underwater object is what makes the top of the water visible while you are under water. The Caustics Projector is what makes those cool white lines on the bottom of the ground down under water

44. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, i use this water asset as I think it looks great, plenty of options and simple to use. However, I was wondering if the author or anyone might know how i can modify one of the shaders so that the water fades away or blends into the terrain if close (so at the shore line?) I dont need any "effect" just for it to fade away as at the moment its a very "hard" edge.

Thanks

45. LeaveOneBlood

LeaveOneBlood

46. LeaveOneBlood

LeaveOneBlood

upload_2017-2-28_20-33-47.png
    @Joined how to resole this problem at the end,please give me the solution,I meet this problem now.thanks

47. LeaveOneBlood

LeaveOneBlood

@Xaron
    upload_2017-2-28_20-44-30.png
    How to resole this problem at last,what is your solution?

48. Protozoaire

Protozoaire

Is it VR (Oculus or HTC) compatible (with SinglePassStereo enabled)?

49. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

Hi Grespon, I am not getting any animation effects. Everything else works. Does Easy Water work in Unity2017.2.03f? Thank you.

UPDATE: Never mind. That was a dumb question. I had added easy Water to a plane instead of importing the Easy Water plane from the asset pack. It is working perfectly. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  50. Custard1

Custard1

Hello, The water is working as expected, however I'm having a battle with the caustics not fogging. Is there an adjustment you can make to the caustics shader that works with unity fog, or failing that an option for a fade caustics distance (similar to Aquas). I'm developing for the Oculus GO and your water shader has performed best, if I could get a fix for the caustics it would help me out enormously.