Search Unity

how to start LogCat?

Discussion in 'Android' started by jister, May 1, 2012.

1. jister

jister

hey I'm trying to Debug my android project i test on my device.
    I first tried to get ConsoleDebugger.cs to work but i haven't got a clue on how to use it... i tried just putting it on an empty GO, but i don't see any GUI orso once testing...?
    so i started looking for an other way which is logcat, i have the adb.exe under platformtools, but i'm confussed on how to get it to run. if i double click it i get a command window for a second and then it closes by itself.

i read i need to activate it by the $ adb logcat command have don't know where to input it... i tried it in cmd but that didn't go...

any clues are welcome :)

2. Tseng

Tseng

The folder where the adb.exe is installed needs to be in a folder where windows can find it (PATH variable).

You can of course open the command line (cmd.exe in Windows). If the folder is not in the path variable, you have to switch there before you enter it, i.e. (assuming you installed the SDK in C:\AndroidSDK\

HTML:
    C:\> cd AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools\> adb.exe logcat

Where C:\> is the commandline promt (telling you in which folder you are).

3. jister

jister

thanks i think i got it up, but wow i don't know where to find maybe Debug.Log from my code, i do get a lot of info like nr of verts and framerate and so on...

4. Tseng

Tseng

Disable the logcat profile in your project (Edit > Project Settings > Player Settings > Android > Other Settings > Enable 'logcat' profiler.

Additionally you may want to set "Script Debugging" in Build options, so you can see thrown exceptions and other script related stuff

5. jister

jister

thx that's beter ;-)

6. jister

jister

I have a list i fill with the rigidbodies of a list of gameobjects.
    I'm trying to set every first rigidbodies to every next gameobject as connectedBody of a hinge joint, i empty both list via index
    I see the rigidbody list get filled and emptied, but how can i debug to see which connectedbody is assigned? because the behavior isn't what it should be.
    atm I'm trying this

index = Random.Range(0, tentacleParts.Count); //should i be doing this? don't really looked into how to accses them 1 by 1
    clone = Instantiate(tentaclePart, relativeTP, transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    clone.hingeJoint.connectedBody = (Rigidbody)connectedB[index]; //not sure this is working
    connectedB.Remove(connectedB[index]);
    Debug.Log(connectedB); //line 80
    Debug.Log(clone.hingeJoint.connectedBody); //line 81

debug from logcat:

tentacle (UnityEngine.Rigidbody)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    drawTentacles:Update() (at C:\Users\ROTTJUNG\Documents\New Unity Project\Assets
    ROBOT\scripts\drawTentacles.cs:80)

(Filename: C Line: 0)

UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    drawTentacles:Update() (at C:\Users\ROTTJUNG\Documents\New Unity Project\Assets
    ROBOT\scripts\drawTentacles.cs:81)

so tentacle is the prefab(tentaclePart) that gets cloned 250 times. so if I'm right thats what line 80 tells me on debug: tentacle (UnityEngine.Rigidbody) but how to be sure it's the one from the previous tentacle? can i debug the number of the index orso?

7. goldbug

goldbug

Easter egg for you. If you type:

Code (csharp):
    1. adb.exe lolcat
    it also works :D:D

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

9. mushroomrisotto

mushroomrisotto

This tutorial might help you its easy to implement, just convert a simple java class that logs to DDMS to a jar file add it to Unity and write a simple plugin to use it, then you can view your logs from Eclipse DDMS tool ..
    http://nevzatarman.wordpress.com/

10. robinwood

robinwood

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016