Search Unity

Ruin Run - Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DaphydTheBard, May 1, 2012.

1. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

NOW LIVE on the asset store! Snag your copy here:

http://u3d.as/content/vertex-stream/ruin-run-starter-kit

Web player demo available on wooglie.com:

http://www.wooglie.com/games/Action/Ruin-Run-Starter-KIt

Hey Folks

Once again I (Vertex Stream) have been working secretly and collaboratively with Phex3D (the author of the amazing Dinky Dungeon Tileset) to bring your our first joint venture - a temple-run style starter kit for Unity!

And here are some shots:

$pieces-1.jpg $pieces-2.jpg $pieces-3.jpg $pieces-4.jpg $SHOT-6.jpg

Everything you need to create your own temple-run style game is included in this kit - 3D models (created specifically for this project by Phex3D), well-commented and structured code (by myself), as well as sound effects and music.

All our custom models share a single 2048x2048 texture, and are as low-poly as possible. Easy re-texturing!

Just like temple run, the level is infinite, and generated on the fly.

We will be releasing the game on Wooglie - but will be leaving it in the "in-development" category. This way, you can create your own games from our starter kit and release them without fear of having been "pipped to the post". (and you can try out the starter kit for yourself before you buy).

We hope you like our promotional video. Any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to post them here or PM either of us.

This is available on the asset store for $50 dollars.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Raphael Dias

Raphael Dias

3. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Sorry, forgot to put that :) I have updated the post above.

Thanks.

4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Looks great, so you get the code (the character?) all for the sweet price of $50

5. RoyS

RoyS

Models + code + character?

Does this work with your dungeon creator by chance?

Can this be used for Android?

6. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

To answer all your questions (most of which are covered in the included documentation as well):

The included player character is a freely available model from the asset store called MAX. You are not being charged for this character. I also clearly state in the documentation that this is the case, just to be clear. The intention here is that people writing their own temple run clone would most likely swap out the character for their own anyway.

Everything you see in the video and screen shots is included in the package. What you get for your money is the source-code for the game (which is thoroughly commented throughout, and laid out clearly), and all of the assets laid out in the screenshots above, which were custom-made specifically for this project by Phex3D.

You don't need to construct your own layouts for the levels; this happens automatically, and on the fly. The level is created and updated dynamically as you play. As you run along the track, new sections are created ahead of you, and redundant areas behind you are removed from the scene, much like in Temple Run.

Regarding the dungeon creator, there is no intentional correlation between the two products, however, as you have I-Tiles, L-Tiles, and T-Tiles in this package, there is no reason why you couldn't use these tiles with the generator - although you obviously don't have cross-tiles (four way junctions) or rooms. But I'm sure if you asked Phex nicely enough he could create some additional artwork....maybe :)

Regarding mobile - the models are intentionally low poly and all share the same texture sheet 2048x texture sheet. I do not have access to an android phone (yet - I'm getting one soon) so I haven't tested this on mobile - HOWEVER we have created the package with mobile in mind and there is nothing out of the ordinary in the code. As long as mobile platforms can handle creation/destruction of gameobjects at run-time, you should be good. The actual level geometry is never that much anyway - only about 12 sections of track or so - and this can be customised in the code easily too.

I hope that answers all the questions raised so far. If you have any more, feel free to shoot and I or Phex will do our best to answer them.

Thank you for your continued interest in my asset store submissions.

Cheers

Dave

7. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

8. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Damn you - addictive game! Bit more spit and polish and it would be pretty good. I can see the appeal for this kit. Someone go make an amazing run game!

9. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Thanks for the positive feedback. I intentionally left out the spit and polish :) This isn't meant to be a finished game - but rather a working code / asset base that other talented Unity developers can leverage.

I look forward to seeing what people come up with!

Thanks

Dave

10. smitchell

smitchell

Congrats, you beat me too it! I have been making a temple run clone for a client, I was going to change art and source code and package it up to sell :D But you guys beat me too it! I'm only a few days off aswell :D - ''ll Is Fair In Love And Game Development'

One note though:

Rule 1 of game development - Never combine keyboard and mouse input unless absolutely necessary, for example a FPS game(obv there is other games that need both inputs), But this game can be made without both inputs..

Rule 2 of game development - Always have a pause state for the game, Not being able to pause a game is extremely annoying for users.. Pausing a game in unity is simple just have a Boolean called pause, if true then set timescale to 0, if false back up to its original.. Some game engines make pausing the game a nightmare, unity makes it easy, utilize this ease! :)

There are 7 important rules, but you got the other 5 down :)

Anyways great package and damm you for beating me to it ;)

I'll probably but this soon to see how similar our source code is.

Thanks,

Scott.

11. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Scott

Really sorry :) Honest :)

There is no reason why you can't release yours as well. A bit of competition is healthy.

I have intentionally left a few things out (as I have stated previously) as this is not meant to be a finished, polished product, but rather a launchpad for other developers to make their own running games, with the bulk of the hard work done for them.

The "mouse" input in our starter kit is meant to sort of simulate a phone being tilted left/right. Since I don't yet have a phone to test on (well I have an i-phone, but I develop on a kick-ass PC so that's out) I used the mouse.

Also, I would argue that rule #1 of game development should be - MAKE IT FUN :)

12. smitchell

smitchell

Ha you might regret that ;). Mine might get more sales and leave yours with nothing :p

Oh no I did not mean those are the most important rules for games, but there are 7 things/rules that games should include, if you don't follow them then it's likely your game will not appeal to audiences. <-- this is not always the situation though.. Don't want to attract trolls :O

Anyways yeah I understand, for people looking for a quick and easy clone then this is great.

Good luck! And hopefully we will have out temple run clone war soon! :D

I wonder if the developers of Temple Run will have a look at our clones... As Temple run was built with unity, I know if someone cloned my game I would want to have a look :D

13. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

I can rest assured that my code is 100% my own :)

14. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Having competing could be good. For example maybe you could have to add mobile support etc

15. smitchell

smitchell

The clone I am making is for a client, which is going to be a mobile game. So Mine already introduces mobile feature's such as swipe gestures/automatic placement adjustments according to screen size/resolution(mainly to do with GUI) and is heavily optimized for mobile.

16. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

Assuming that the creation/destruction on the fly is referred to instantiate and destroy, then this package is NOT suitable for mobile

17. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

Out of interest, how do you go about creating and destroying objects dynamically on mobile platforms then? Is there some other way I have missed?

18. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

I am always happy to add new features to my asset store submissions, if it keeps existing customers happy, and creates the potential for more sales.

19. phex

phex

The early bird gets the worm.
    Be sure we post on your thread....

20. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

You need to use a pooling system and recycle all your objects, even for a pc/mac I would never use instantiate or destroy unless it's an specific object that will be created from time to time. But this map system? no way

21. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

If customers email me and ask me to make changes / add new features, then I shall do so. Once I get my android phone I shall be optimising this and releasing an update anyway (and implementing gesture support).

22. phex

phex

Friendly bump, because its new.

23. phex

phex

Thanks to all customers !

24. ruibravo

ruibravo

Is probably a silly question, but how can I learn to do this type of game (like the Temple Run Project or Gravity).

Thank you, and now playing good initiative.

25. phex

phex

I dont know what you really mean, but if you want to learn programming in unity
    take a look here -> http://unity3d.com/support/resources/

If you are only interessted in "Temple Run" style games, you can buy this starter kit.

26. DaphydTheBard

DaphydTheBard

It has been brought to my attention by a customer that the detonator framework (which I am using to create the mine explosions) doesn't play nice with the latest version of Unity.

Whilst the detonator framework is not my responsibility to support, rest assured that I shall look into this issue as soon as time allows. If I am unable to get detonator to play nicely with ruin run, then I shall strip it out of the project and create my own explosion effect using Shuriken.

Cheers

Dave

27. abdul Rehman

abdul Rehman

Hi, Is there any body who can tell me that Ruin Run Starter Kit will work perfectly on iPhone?

28. s0phist

s0phist

It's working great on iphone/ipad for me.

29. suctioncup

suctioncup

I know it has been asked before, but I need to ask again. Is this fully optimised for iOS and Android? As in, does it still keep instantiating objects and deleting them instead of drawing from an object pool? I don't mind if the models are not low-poly enough, its the code I am worried about.
    I am considering buying this really soon, but this is the deal breaker for me. I need my app to run really smoothly, so I need optimised code.

30. Boss

Boss

Nice package!

31. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Come on how hard it is it just buy the poolmanager 30 from the asset store and intragrate it. For 50 bucks you couldnt do better.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/104320-PoolManager-2-Released!-By-Path-o-logical-Games

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  32. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

I'm really liking the starter kit myself!

I'm currently working on iPhone and Android, and to all those who are worried about the Instantiate()/Destroy() method of creating the pieces, don't be. Having tested on numerous devices, I've found the game to run absolutely fine on the iPhone 3G and the Samsung Galaxy Ace (ARMV6+Rubbish GPU), which is HIGHLY unexpected as we usually don't support such low-end devices.

You're not going to get silky smooth gameplay on the low-end phones, but they're definitely playable (20-40fps).

As for 'out-of-the-box' support for mobile, then just no. Anyone getting the package does need to alter bits and pieces, most notably the 30MB (approx.) wav file for background audio, a couple optimisations, and possibly removing the rag doll physics - depending on your preferences. Having the physics system generate collision data for each mesh on its creation is quite costly and sometimes creates some lag when generating a number of pieces.

If you're not afraid of a rummage around then I'd HIGHLY recommend this package.

Kudos to the developer.

(Note: The number of getComponent() and calling Vector3.Distance() on each coin/on every update did make me cringe a bit though)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  33. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can someone help with the detonator problem?
    I do not need it like i do not need the mine in this game.

34. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

RandAlThor: What seems to be the problem? If you want to remove the mines then remove the mine code and assets from the project - it's really simple.

35. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So when i comment the mine code out i do not get the detonator error message anymore?

Edit:
    Sorry i am not at home where i can test it

36. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So any info´s about an update without the detonator problem and if there is will ios be featured directly from this asset soon?

37. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

RandAlThor: Removing the detonator code is quick and painless. After removing all references to the pack within the csTempleRun.cs file, you can proceed to remove the assets themselves from your project if you've downloaded them from the asset store.

A side note as well; if you're wanting to run this starter kit straight away on iOS without changing anything, then you probably shouldn't be trying to develop for iOS. Learn to use the code, play around with it, optimise it, then have a go at getting it on an iOS device. Optimising a game for iOS is a task in itself. As I said in a previous post, this is a great starter kit for use on iOS and Android even on low-end phones IF you can be bothered to look at the code and play around with it.

I've been tweaking the project over and over and I'm getting ridiculously fast performance out of it, with the profiler indicating a 1.0ms CPU cycle at its slowest. You get the idea. This is a starter kit.

38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@Phil-AV
    You are completly right that this is a great starter kit and we can learn a lot from and with it and when i have the time and realy want it i will do learn from it.

But i also payed for this and i think i can expect at least a working version without something is not working that should do and also i can expect that someone who has made this at least can say hello here i am at this, please wait some days more and i fix the problem.
    Now i look at this thread some times a day and waste my time for it and the makers of this even do not react on my pm.
    This behavior makes me angry.

Maybe you understand that we are not all programers and we also do not all want to become a coder or how could i better say it, i have not enough time to do everything alone.

That is by the way why i bought assets from the store.

I do not want to offend you and it is great how you come along with it and also help people like me here.

I have a normal dayjob and soon i get my third kid and have to spend my time more wisely and that is the reason why i am willing to pay for solutions like this but o do want something that work for the money.

And if the makers of this want some more $ for a working ios solution i am willing to pay for it because then i have more time for things that i can do better and faster and more time for my family.

39. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

A completely fair comment.

I also agree about the asset developers lack of response after so long.

The only help I can give is on the programming side so here's a couple of things that I did to get it working smooth on iOS:
    -Remove/Change the music to something <1mb in size
    -If the ragdoll physics is not needed, go to the meshes in the project files and un-tick the Generate Colliders box, then remove the small amount of ragdoll code from the DoRagDoll() function in csTempleRun.cs
    -Store the SmoothFollow camera script rather than having it be called via FindObjectOfType in the update function every frame.

Extra code needed is swiping input and tilt controls as far as I remember. Right now my code looks almost nothing like the original so it's hard to remember.

Sorry I can't help much.

40. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

Unfortunately if you are not a programmer, you shouldn't be buying packs like this, to create a game you need to know what are you doing, and these kind of things are just starter packs, designed to give you some ideas and reduce the time needed to create a game like this. If you are expecting just to replace the graphics with your own, and viola!!! game ready to be published, then that will never happen.
    Almost all the packages I saw needs tweaks and changes, and the same goes for the 3d models sold on the store, too many materials, too many polys to be used on mobile platforms, bad UVs in some cases, etc,etc, maybe good stuff for a quick prototype but definitely not meant to be used on a commercial game.

41. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you Phil-AV again for beeing so kind and give some tips here.

@Eskema
    I do not saying that i am not willing to learn from scripts but start as a no programer with a kit that do not work from the beginning is not the best starting point.

42. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

Completely understandable RandAIThor, but unfortunately learning with these kits (in general not this one) it's not the best way to learn unless you are a programmer and you are looking for new tricks or different ways to do a task (my case as a programmer).

Almost all the packages I saw claim to be "mobile friendly" but they are not, most of them needs tweaks to get a good performance on a mobile platform, so I don't consider them a good starting point for a "newbie" but a decent starting point for a programmer with some experience.

43. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

Another little tip - turn off the fog, yes you get a slightly lower graphical quality, but the 10-20fps you gain is almost 100% necessary.

I would consider this pack 'good to go' if you're targeting high end devices such as the GalaxyS2/S3 or iPad2/iPhone4s+ and take into account the tweaks put forward in my previous post. However you'll most likely get poor reviews from lower-end devices and make very little revenue from sales.

44. MultidimensionalShow

MultidimensionalShow

Hi All

Firstly, I would like to explain about the lack of response from the developer (me).

When Unity combined their various logins for the various sites, for some reason, I lost my old login (daphydthebard) - it's just stopped working, and I can't log in as that user anymore. I have no idea why.

The upshot of this however is that I have lost all of my PM's. So to those of you who have PM'd me as daphydthebard - you are not being ignored, I am not able to see your messages.

I do my best to look after my customers and I have a lot of satisfied customers who I have gone out of my way to help after a purchase. So please do not think you are being ignored.

Secondly, I provide an email address in my documentation for ALL my asset store products. If anyone drops me an email, they will get a response almost immediately.

To those of you who are having issues / require help, before you start flaming me for being crap at offering support, please email me directly, don't post for help on here. I check my emails far more often than this board. I will do my best to help. Also please bear in mind that we all have lives, and sometimes other things get in the way. Like work, or family, or illness.

RIght, to address the mobile issues:

When I wrote this starter pack, I didn't have an android phone or tablet. I had never done any mobile development at that time. I never said, anywhere, that this was optimised for mobile. It isn't. The first time I tried to run this on my own mobile phone (when I finally got one), I was horrified at how badly it ran.

HOWEVER. An update is coming. Soon (think - August). I am working on it now. I have taken Eskema's advice and re-written the track management system to use a pooling system. On my crappy samsung ace, the game now runs as smooth as a baby's backside.

I have other commitments, children, a wife with MS, and a job. So please be patient, but it's coming.

Dave
    VS

45. TylerO

TylerO

I can personally vouch for David, he has provided me with fantastic support in the past with his dinky dungeon generator and many times even late at night.

46. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

Just seen an insultingly bad game named Stickman Run released on the Android market that uses this starter kit. Whoever released it just did a quick art swap and what seems like removing how fluid the gameplay of the original starter kit is.

On another note, I'm really interested to see how you've gone about optimising the game to run on mobile. I've not used pooling and have had the game running fine on low-end devices (until I added a ton of fancy effects, which is my fault anyway).

Thanks!

47. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

Awesome starter kit!!! Thanks a lot you saved me like a month of programming. I'm busy using it to make a mobile game. I just had to add some pooling and I've modified it to use colliders instead of the timer based method to detect if the player has failed.

I just have one issue where one cell will have a bridge theme and then the next one will have a stone theme without using the bridge to stone object. It often happens after a run cell with a bridge theme followed by a jump obstacle stone theme. Any ideas where I can edit the code to make it always use the bridge to stone object when switching themes? The reason is because my custom stone theme pieces do not match up to my custom bridge pieces.

48. Anazoth

Anazoth

I was considering this package until i read the review on the asset store. It stated that there is over 2,000 lines of code crammed into 1 script, that sounds like a nightmare to customize.

49. DreamEnder

DreamEnder

It's actually not so hard to customize since the code is commented well. Some people actually like a less object orientated approach.

I customized my game to use colliders instead of the timer based system. I also added stairs and different kind of obstacles amongst other things.

50. Phil-AV

Phil-AV

Yes this is true. The whole game is in one script - however splitting the code up is incredibly easy and customising from there is very easy too. I suspect that this started kit is for beginner programmers or artists.

If you have any programming experience at all - this shouldn't be an issue in the slightest.