Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

strategy in RTS games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xThomas, Apr 29, 2012.

1. xThomas

xThomas

Hi, I'm new, I was wondering what you think all good RTS games have. I play a lot of Age of Kings, and thats pretty much it for RTS gaming , tho I like Risk and some board games

And could you name some good RTS games? whats some good ones, thx:)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

I'm liking Wargame : European Escalation right now.
    Great realistic sort of strategy. with terrain and supplies playing a factor.

I think the key is balance.

3. kantaki

kantaki

starcraft , starcraft 2 wc3 ?

4. longisle

longisle

I personally think that good rts has fun gameplay, good story, good characters easy enough for everyone to be able to play but with enough depth to be hard enough to master. Some role play elements only make it better. Definitely some innovation and quirks that makes the game unique too.

Here's some of rts's i love from the top of my head: Age of Empire I, II III, Castle Strike, Celtic Kings: Rage of War, Empire Earth, Heritage of the Kings (Settlers), Heroes of Annihilated Empires, Knights of Honour, Kohan I II, Lords of the Realm III, Majesty the Fantasy Kingdom Sim, Praetorians, Rise of Nations, Rising Kingdoms, Spellforce, Starcraft, Warcraft I, II III, Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, Warlords Battlecry I, II III, Warrior Kings.

Then there are some mixed genres like Total War, Mount Blade, Patrician and Port Royale series.

I'm sure there are other great games out there i can't remember at the moment.

5. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

The Warhammer 40k games were amazing. I loved the fact you manage squads instead of individual soldiers.

6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Also, I hate civilization. Too much micromanagement.

7. xThomas

xThomas

haha I still play civilization number 2, I agree it's boring - civ2 takes so long by the time I finish it's probably rained, gone sunny, then rained again
    I prefer games that don't need a lot of clicks by far to ones that do.

8. DallonF

DallonF

I really like Supreme Commander 2. It has a lot of bad reviews - ignore them, most of these are from when it first came out, and it wasn't such a great game then.

What I love about it is that it's designed in such a way that knowing what you're doing and having a good strategy is way more important than clicking quickly. Once your economy is set up, it's self-sustaining, leaving you free to manage your army - and you need all the time you can to do that, because it can easily get to hundreds of units.

9. bgivenb

bgivenb

any total war game, but, 'like a fine wine, it gets better with time' :) (the newer ones are the best)

10. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

Yes!

Double whammy!

Those two titles are very nearly the only RTS games I've ever really cared for.
    And I think the reason Dallon gives is a large part of it. I generally detest RTS because they stress me and that results in mistakes. It's the same with FPS, only worse. I guess it just annoys me, knowing the error could have been prevented if only I was given a little more time.
    Not so with these two titles - well, not very often anyway ;)

11. janpec

janpec

Huh, strongly disagree:D Old ones are much better, i guess it is matter of personal preference.

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Age of empires 2 and Age of mythology are my favorites :p haven't played them for ages but they used to be my favorates.

13. Zethariel1

Zethariel1

The WH40k series were indeed great RTS'es (at least it got me a bit closer to how the tabletop is played). This has been however spoiled in DoW II series, which I would dub RTM (Real-Time MicroManagment), as it is even more click intense with fewer units.

I played Supreme Commander 2 first time yesterday. Apart from the negative visual aspect (it's an old game, so it is pardoned), the game focuses too heavilly on a too large scale -- bunkering down is nigh impossible with zerg rushing the only viable strategy. I'm also not convinced this whole research system is a good idea -- I mean, it's something new, but it takes too fast to get all the bestest units. I did however like the ability to launch half-baked epic mechs. For all its worth, I still enjoy Total Annihilation more.

14. nullstar

nullstar

If you're after a good chuckle try out the Red Alert games, loads of fun.

15. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

The red alert (especially 1,2) were awesome, also the c&c series (the one about tiberium) except for the last one. EA tends to run stuff sometimes.