Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assembly-C Sharp, Assembly-C Sharp-firstpass etc

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by meatbag, Apr 28, 2012.

1. meatbag

meatbag

Opening my solution in MonoDevelop shows 4 assemblies.

Assembly-C Sharp
    Assembly-CSharp-Editor
    Assembly-CSharp-Editor-firstpass <---
    Assembly-C Sharp-firstpass <---

What are these first pass assemblies? Is it normal to see 4 assemblies or should they not be there?

2. Tseng

Tseng

Scripts which are in the "Standard Assets" folder (or the mobile version of it) get compiled into the firstpass assemblies.

It's some horrible mess due to Unity's way to compile different languages and where compile order is important. I.e. in order for UnityScripts to access scripts written in C#, C# has to be compiled before UnityScript are compiled. This in turn means, you can not access UnityScript from C# w/o doing some hacks (i.e. moving UnityScript scripts into Standard Assets folder).

The compile order is something like

C# firstpass
    C# firstpass editor
    UnityScript firstpass
    Unityscript firstpass editor
    C#
    C# Editor
    UnityScript
    UnityScript Editor

Dunno where boo belongs there

3. KoRMaK

KoRMaK

I have a C# file in the first pass, and then another one in the regular pass. However When I try to get access to the secondpass object from the first one it complains that it doesn't know the definition.

It's kind a nuts, and I haven' figured out how to fix it. I created a circular dependency by add reference to the secondpass to the first, so that's out.

4. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

The compilation order is here:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.Script_compilation_28Advanced29.html

Those four steps correspond to the four separate projects in your solution.

The short answer is you can't. First pass scripts can't access second pass scripts. Is there any reason you need to have the first one in the first pass?

5. ev3d

ev3d

sorry to resurrect an old thread but can you "fix" this by converting any javascript or unityscript scripts to c# and moving them out of the "standard assets" folder?