Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Smooth MouseLook/CharacterController for FPS (once again)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by iddqd, Apr 28, 2012.

1. iddqd

iddqd

hi there.

So I've read through all the Smooth MouseLook threads here and at Unity answers and have to say that none of the solutions (using FixedUpdate and/or using frames averaging) give a really smooth mouse such as a shooter like QuakeLive.

Try this test, circle strafe around an object (so basically walk sideways around a cube, while continuously looking at it). You will see a jitter in the edges of the cube.

But the problem seems to be in the CharacterController because here's how you can get very smooth movement: In the Inspector, set the CharacterMotor Script to NOT use fixedUpdate, ahh, beatiful now, so smooth...I thought that would be the solution, now both the CharacterController and MouseLook use Update. But a new problem arrived, if I shoot a rigidbody projectile and walk at the same time, the projectiles are now jittery.

So, has anybody every gotten a really smooth movement out of Unity for an FPS or does anybody know why the projectiles are jittery when not using FixedUpdate?

Any hints are greatly appreciated!