Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best method to correctly export a DAZ fully-rigged character into Unity...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dvochin, Apr 28, 2012.

1. dvochin

dvochin

Hey everyone,

I am attempting to export my DAZ character in Unity, and the DAZ Collada export crashes with the Unity settings or any other settings. (Have posted on DAZ forums but so far nothing)

However, I did get some success with the FBX DAZ exporter add-on… I can open in apps like 3dsMax/MotionBuilder and most of the bones weighting appear usable, but unfortunate don’t get bone weighting for the face, and was not able to export morphs that I want to use in-game such as character smiling or morphs on the arm size and so on.

Q1: What is the ‘recommended best practice’ to import a fully-rigged character from Daz or Poser to be completely usable in Unity with full rigging (including face and morphs)

Q2: Should I export from DAZ or Poser?

Thanks for any hint in the right directions… have spent more than a week in frustration over this!!

Daniel,

P.S. I have latest DAZ and Unity with latest FBX 2013 on Win7/64

2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Just to make sure, you've tried importing the fbx model straight into unity? All you have to do is drag the file into the asset folder of your game path.

3. dvochin

dvochin

Hi OmniverseProductions: Thanks for your response...

Yes I've tried fbx import straight into Unity but the face bones and morphs don't export...

Have you been able to get a fully rigged character including face bones and morphs working in Unity?

Daniel,

4. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

To get Morphs into Unity you will need a plugin from the Asset Store, there are a few to choose from, I use MegaFiers as it has custom exporters for Maya, Max and Blender and a lot of other features to play with and I believe it is the only system that does correct calculations of normals.

5. dvochin

dvochin

Thanks very much for that heads-up Mike, I'll be poring over the documentation for that part of Mega-Fiers to see if I can get further. I must say I'm *extremely impressed* with Mega-Fiers thus far... almost fell off my chair once I realized some of its game runtime potential... A

Powerful tool to make enable Unity to leapfrog UDK in key areas IMO...

Fun stuff!!!

6. forcepusher

forcepusher

Don't need any of that anymore. Unity has native blendshapes support.