Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where should I go for C# tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by jpedersm, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jpedersm

jpedersm

I have been doing java for about a month now and someone else said i should start C#. For a person new at this where should I look for beginner to advance C# tutorials?

2. Jessy

Jessy

3. jpedersm

jpedersm

I found something on 3D buzz with a 2D space shooter, but when I am done I would like to mess around with 3D stuff.

4. Munei

Munei

5. rer0dgers

rer0dgers

He was right. 3DBuzz is where you want to go.

6. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

7. Munei

Munei

Well the book i posted is for this summer, i didn't noticed that on amazon ( provably that's why i didn't found the index), Sebas i have to thank you for the colection of links i found some very interensting.

Something i read on a blog that this book is very nice, you have your C# basics all in a small book:
    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920013365.do

8. RyanSchurton

RyanSchurton

9. Cronnix

Cronnix

Was about to start own thread but saw this one so I take opportunity to ask my related question. I am too, looking to learn C# from almost scratch, but would like to do so using unity. Most of the tutorials Ive seen are pretty short, are there any longer tutorials involving actual C# teaching, rather than being aimed at designers with already premade scripts, which go from basics to a somewhat complete simple 3D game?

10. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

11. giyomu

giyomu

I dont think learning c# and unity should be related..well, I mean you can go by with basic knowledge of the c# language and syntaxe, and it may be well enough for unity at first..while learning Unity API may be what will take you most of your time.

There is some website where you can grab an overview of c#, csharp corner or i guess yellow book , free pdf etc..

Personnally i would suggest spend a little time with c# console app to get around on its basic..and just focus on it..so then once in unity you free your mind of c# thinking..and concentrate unity API, then feel free to digg into more advanced concept once you get a bit more confortable with unity...

So you don't blow your brain on two front at same time ^^

12. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Well, I was thinkink a lot what is missing for me and what I would need to learn... I already read books on C Sharp and even tried to do that console stuff. Already made through some of the Unity tutorials and followed 3D Buzz and others as well. In the meantime got quite familiar with the Unity API.

What is missing and the connection of C Sharp and Unity - and I hope that book will contribute to that, and Jeff Murray's book as well. But even with these kind of book "students" like myself would need a kind of mentor. Even I if I know the syntax, know the API I do not know how to solve a specific task - e.g. make a Match-3 game logic. Here I see a gap books could fill. I would need cookbooks, which teach me how to solve a specific - complicated task. What techniques to use, why apply certain solutions, etc.

Just my 2 cents...

13. Munei

Munei

I'm afraid no book in the world would solve your problem, because you need then a bunch of them, not only one. The path giyomu put there is a really good one, first you learn methodology, and this is independent of language, this is how to use any given language to do what you want, then you learn a lenguage to put in practice your ideas, then you learn specific api so you don't have to reinvent what is already done.

If you already are confident with C# and unity, then what you need are books on game design:
    http://www.amazon.com/Basics-of-Gam...827O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337534340&sr=8-2

I'm currently reading this one.

Apart from that, the book you and i are willing to buy this summer, the descriptions say it's about shaders and things like that, i'm not sure if you're gonna find game logic in there, and provably you know more than you think.

I'm sure when you saw a mach 3 game and where studying objects in C# you though "huuum, this looks to me like an array of objects"
    so with that and a lot of hours of coding and try and error you can do the game :)

14. helioxfilm

helioxfilm

Yeah, well, I think I want to learn the experience and not gain experience and it is not possible :-D

15. stimarco

stimarco

Not sure if this is the best place to mention it, but I've got a C# tutorial on the Asset Store that covers creating a turn-based game—"Tic-Tac-Toe"—in Unity. No additional plugins or extensions are used; it's just vanilla Unity and C#.

The links are in my signature.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  16. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There is a sticky in this teaching section that has some links as well. Many of the external tutorials are not necessarily "game related", but they can help get a grasp on the language.