Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Input.Touches - Simple Gesture Solution

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Song_Tan, Apr 28, 2012.

1. dasbin

dasbin

edit: disregard this post; I found a better way of doing what I was about to ask about...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. Mars91

Mars91

I'm trying to convert your swipe code into JS but I have a problem 'cause yield return null; is not good in JS

Code (csharp):
    2. function OnSwipe(sw : SwipeInfo){
    3.     StartCoroutine(ShowSwipeIndicator(sw));
    4. }
    6. function ShowSwipeIndicator(sw : SwipeInfo){
    7.     var p : Vector3 = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(new Vector3(sw.startPoint.x, sw.startPoint.y, 5));
    8.     swipeIndicator.position = p;
    9.     var t : float = 0;
    10.     while(t <= 1){
    11.         p = Vector2.Lerp(sw.startPoint, sw.endPoint, t);
    12.         p = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(new Vector3(p.x, p.y, 5));
    13.         swipeIndicator.position=p;
    14.         t += 0.2;
    15.         yield return null;
    16.     }
    17. }

3. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

for JS, it's just
    Code (csharp):
    1. yield;

4. Anxox

Anxox

Hi Songtan,

Just checking if you have a date on when the swipe issue will be fixed. My game revolves around this function and it is the reason why I purchased this Library. Should I look for a different solution?

5. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@Anxo, Sent a pm to you.

Just a quick note I'm working on the updates. The update should incoporate all the features requested, if I havent missed any. I aim to get it done asap, hopefully by the end of this week.

6. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Just a quick announcement that Input.Touches version 1.1 (update from 1.0) is now live on AssetStore. Follow is the changes in a nutshell:

• added support for multiple (2 or more) fingers version for most event. These events included tap, long tap, multiple (2 or more) tap, charge, drag.
    • added support for multiple concurrent input event. These events included tap, multi-finger tap, long tap, multi-fingers long tap, multi-tap, multi-finger multi-tap, drag, swipe.
    • swipe event can now be triggered consecutively without needing to lift the triggering finger.
    • continous event such as drag and charge now has a start and end event for easier tracking
    • bug fixes, of course...

Please note that this is a major update. Most of the core code has been changed. The event API remains the same for the most part but there are some exceptions. The changes have been listed in the documentation. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Feel free to post your question or comment regarding the new update here.

Thanks for reading!

7. dasbin

dasbin

Thanks very much, songtan! I'll check out the new version.

8. refoor

refoor

Been waiting for this... thanks! So far it's working much better than before (swipe).

9. dasbin

dasbin

The new swipe detection is working great, exactly as I had hoped. Thanks again!

I have a small suggestion for possible future versions (no rush...) : It would be better if distance / speed measurements were not resolution-dependent. Because they are based on number of pixels (correct me if I'm wrong here), the distances and speed required will vary wildly from device to device.

Instead, consider normalizing these values to size of screen-space (eg 1.0 is always the full width of the screen). Then it would make sense to have detection code that is much closer to being consistent in terms of "swipe for 3 centimeters at 10 centimeters/second" rather than "swipe for 200 pixels at 2000 pixels / second."

Also I am getting the following warning right now:

Thanks again for everything.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  10. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thank you very much for the suggestion. That's a way more elegant solution than the current one!

I'll look into the warning as well. :)

11. simone007

simone007

[SOLVED]: Songtan, I updated the version of your component, but I cant get the DragDetector.cs file. Please help me because I cant work

Current problem: the event "onMFDraggingE" is never launched with mouse input.
    Instead, the event "onDraggingE" works correctly.

Shouldn't the event "onMFDraggingE" work with both mouse and touch input?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  12. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

onMFDraggingE is meant for multi-fingers drag event so it won't work for mouse. however you can simulate the mouse by calling onMFDraggingE delagate from onDraggingE.

Please refer to RTSCam.cs to see how it's done.

13. simone007

simone007

Ok perfect, thanks for the reply

Anyway, it would be more linear if there was only one event, for mouse/touch input, no?

14. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

It's like that. Both mouse and touch(single) are triggering the same event. note the MF in the event naming convention. Only MF events are triggered by multi-fingers since you cant possible have more than one mouse running at the same time.

15. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Hi, looks like a nice package indeed. One question, in your swipe demo you show direction and angle, but what if I need to check the start and end point of the swipe, on screen and/or world spaces? Any support for that?

16. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

yes. Following is the swipe information you can get from each swipe event:

Vector2 startPoint - start position on screen in pixel
    Vector2 endPoint - end position on screen in pixel
    Vector2 direction - direction of the swipe (endPoint-startPoint)
    float angle - the angle for the swipe starting from +ve x-axis of the screen
    float duration - duration of the swipe
    float speed - speed of the swipe
    bool isMouse - is the event trigger by mouse
    int index - finger ID that trigger the swipe
    There's no position in world space so to speak. But you should able to aquire it by doing a simple raycast using the start and end point.

17. Mars91

Mars91

Question:
    How can i rotate an object using two fingers?

18. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

well, there is an example in OrbitCam demo scene.

Fyi, the rotate event only passed a rotation magnitude when a 2 fingers rotate event is detected. It's up to you to decide how to use that value to interact with your own gameObject in the scene.

19. Mars91

Mars91

thank you, I'll take it a look.

20. Mars91

Mars91

I'm trying to do it but the rotating effect is not so good. Here's my script:

Code (csharp):
    2. private var orbitSpeed : Vector2;
    3. private var rotateSpeed : float;
    4. private var canRotate : boolean = false;
    6. var rotateSpeedModifier : float = 1;
    7. var orbitSpeedModifier : float = 1;
    10. function Start(){
    12. }
    14. function OnEnable(){
    15.     Gesture.onRotateE += OnRotate;
    16.     Gesture.onTouchDownE += OnTouchDown;
    17.     Gesture.onTouchUpE += OnTouchUp;
    18. }
    20. function OnDisable(){
    21.     Gesture.onRotateE += OnRotate;
    22.     Gesture.onTouchDownE -= OnTouchDown;
    23.     Gesture.onTouchUpE -= OnTouchUp;
    24. }
    26. function Update(){
    27.     if(canRotate){
    28.         transform.rotation *= Quaternion.Euler(orbitSpeed.y, orbitSpeed.x, rotateSpeed);
    30.         rotateSpeed *= (1 - Time.deltaTime * 4);   
    31.         orbitSpeed *= ( 1 - Time.deltaTime * 3);
    32.     }
    33. }
    35. function OnTouchDown(pos : Vector2){
    36.     var ray: Ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(pos);
    37.     var hit : RaycastHit;
    38.     if(Physics.Raycast(ray, hit, Mathf.Infinity)){
    39.         if(hit.collider.gameObject.tag == gameObject.tag){
    40.             canRotate = true;
    41.         }
    42.     }
    43. }
    45. function OnTouchUp(pos : Vector2){
    46.     canRotate = false;
    47. }
    49. function OnDragging(dragInfo : DragInfo){
    50.     orbitSpeed = dragInfo.delta * orbitSpeedModifier;
    51. }
    53. function OnRotate(val : float){
    54.     rotateSpeed = Mathf.Lerp(rotateSpeed, val * rotateSpeedModifier, 0.75);
    55. }

21. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Just tried your code, seems alright to me. It works just like how the code describe it. What sort of rotating effect you are looking for if that's not it?

22. Mars91

Mars91

Something more smooth...like a 1:1 rotation...

23. zmeinaz

zmeinaz

Any idea what the update rate is for the event system the InputTouches uses? I am trying to apply a force to an object on a tap/mouse down I have this:

Code (csharp):
    2. void OnEnable()
    3.     {
    4.         Gesture.onMouse1E += OnTap;
    5.         Gesture.onTouchE += OnTap;
    6.     }
    8.     void OnDisable()
    9.     {
    10.         Gesture.onMouse1E -= OnTap;
    11.         Gesture.onTouchE -= OnTap;
    12.     }
    14.     void OnTap(Vector2 pt)
    15.     {
    16.         Ray ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(pt);
    17.         RaycastHit hit;
    18.         if (Physics.Raycast(ray, out hit) )
    19.         {
    20.             Vector3 kForce = KickForce(hit.point); // calculate the force and kick!
    21.             rigidbody.AddForce(kForce * forceMultiplier);//, ForceMode.Acceleration);
    22.         }
    23.     }
    25.     Vector3 KickForce(Vector3 dest)
    26.     {
    27.         Vector3 dir = dest - transform.position;  // get target direction
    28.         dir.y = 0; // Zero-ize the vertical aspect
    29.         return  dir.normalized * rigidbody.mass;
    30.     }
    This works great in the editor, but when I put it on an iOS device the applied force is not the same. I am assuming that the iOS device is not receiving events as fast as the editor. Any way to overcome this with InputTouches?

24. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I'm terribly sorry for the slow respond. Unity changes the forum login system and somehow it ends up with me didnt get any notification.

@FootPrintGames:
    I just discovered some bug with the rotation code, could be why it's not as smooth as you want. I'll try to fix it and give you an update when It's done.

Edit: Sent a pm to you.

@zmeinaz
    With the way your code goes, the event is triggered every frame. The problem is not that it's fired slower on iOS device but less frequently. The reason is the framerate of iOS devices typically capped at 30 while on PC you can easily double that. So it will feel like your code is much more responsive in editor. The thing is you shouldnt use addForce over several consecutive frame in a framerate depandant manner, instead you should use FixedUpdate or a custom coroutine.

What you should have is something like this instead:

Code (csharp):
    1.     private Vector3 point;
    2.     private bool kicking=false;
    4.     void OnTap(Vector2 pt)
    5.     {
    6.         Ray ray = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(pt);
    7.         RaycastHit hit;
    8.         if (Physics.Raycast(ray, out hit) )
    9.         {
    10.             point=hit.point;
    11.             kicking=true;
    12.         }
    13.     }
    15.     FixedUpdate(){
    16.         if(kicking){
    17.             Vector3 kForce = KickForce(hit.point); // calculate the force and kick!
    18.             rigidbody.AddForce(kForce * forceMultiplier);
    19.             kicking=false;
    20.         }
    21.     }

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  25. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Just a quick annoucement that update version1.1.1 is now live on AssetStore. Get your update today folks! The changes in the new update are as followed:

• fix bug where onSwipeStartE, onSwipingE and onSwipeEndE events wouldnt fire
    • fix bug but with 2 fingers rotate (twist)
    • added smoothing configuration to 2 fingers rotate (twist)
    • fix error description on documentation, specifically for charge related events
    • added two new mini-game demos, turret and flick-shoot

26. atmuc

atmuc

will you add playmaker support?

27. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I believe playmaker does support this package. or at least the older version 1.0 anyway. I'm not sure if anything is being done to accommodate the latest update to 1.1. The integration has been done by from the playmaker side anyway by the team by playmaker. So perhaps you should ask them instead. :)

28. atmuc

atmuc

afaik they do not support third party commercial packages. for example smooth moves includes their pm actions in their package.and also they announce as who supports their package. they do not support other packages :) another example is finger gestures. they says they support pm. i bought your package and pm. if you publish your actions i can use them easily :)

29. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Sorry for the slow respond. And please forgive me but I'm not very familiar with PlayMaker as well as other package you mention so I'm not sure how's the mutual support and integration between those work out. But please check this out: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W961. It's the online documentation of PlayMaker concerning InputTouches.

So yes I pretty sure InputTouches is supported by PlayMaker. Albeit the link I sent you is certainly not up to date with the latest InputTouches. I believe the PlayMaker team is working on it. To clarify the matter, I'll try add the PlayMaker setup for InputTouches to the documentation.

30. atmuc

atmuc

it looks like they will support input touches. your link has just documentation. they say download package coming soon. when i get this package i can use input touches directly in pm. if the 5 custom action is enough to cover all abilities in your package it will be the one that i want.

31. remotedeveloper

remotedeveloper

Hi Songtan,

Just got the latest version of your plugin, works perfectly for what I had in mind for it so firstly thanks but I have a query about Orbitcam.
    Currently it rotates the entire scene when i use it to drag my central object around which is great but how do I limit it so that only certain objects are drag rotated?

I hope that makes sense, thanks in advance for any reply.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  32. DannyB

DannyB

Hi,

I am trying to figure out which of the gesture packages are more suitable.
    There are two very nice things in the Easy Touch demo that I would like to know if can be easily done with Input Touches.

1. See the Single Finger demo, and swipe the mouse to see a nice trail effect.
    2. See the multiple fingers demo, and see how nice it is to through the circles around.

Now I know it is probably possible with Input Touches, but the fact that I don't see anything like this in the demo, makes me wonder.
    The swipe and swipe-shoot demos are not as impressive I must say.

(Don't mean to be negative, I actually want to get this plugin, just want to make sure it can do what I need).

Thanks in advance.

33. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

@splashy, currently the way OrbitCam works is that the camera rotate around the objects (none of the object in scene is actually moving/rotating except the camera), hence the name OrbitCam. With that says, the entire scene will appear to be rotating. If you want to interacte with certain selected object, I'm afraid you have to turn the mechanic around. That is to fix the camera and rotate the objects in view. Only then you can have limit to move/rotate certain objects. Hope I make myself clear. I'm happy to give you example code as how this can be done, just send me an email if you wish me to do so.

@DannyB, I understand your concern and I'll try to explain this as best and as un-biased as I can. To keep it short, yes, it can be done with InputTouches. As of how easy it's when compare to EasyTouch, I cant say for sure as I dont have in depth understanding of EasyTouch. However from what I can gather at a quick glance, there isnt too much difference in how things are done from end user point of view. You listen to an event, gather information from it and use the information to perform relevant task. So I suspect on the code alone, without any example code, both solution will need equal amount of input to do the 2 reference task you stated.

I admit some of my demo are not as eleborate or visually impressive. To my defense, the purpose of my demo is to demonstrate that on the code can do. Hence visual wise it's very minimal. From what I can see, the demo of EasyTouch involve some combination of texture work and setup (particularly in physics). Those are not exactly the meat of the package so I doubt it has function call that allow you to do that with ease. To be fair, at least it has the source code for that if the demo did come with the package. So if you are looking to do a something just like the EasyTouch demo, you are better of with EasyTouch. Since those setup that could be quite tricky to do if you are a total beginner.

I hope I answer your question well enough. :)

34. Maru07

Maru07

I would really love to purchase this cool asset but unfortunatly, I learn and work way better visually than with a 10 page long code. If there would be any self explaining tutorial or a YouTube video about the functionallity and How-to, well maybe there is and I couldnt find it^^

take care :)

35. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

I understand what you are saying. But unfortunately this is pretty much a coding framework. As such, there really isn't a how-to to use it process other than a list of functions, events, class member that you can access. Perhaps you are expecting a basic preliminary setup? If so it's as simple as dragging the a prefab into the scene you want to work with. From there on it's code. If you are very familiar with C# event, then you will find yourself at home with the documentation. If I maybe so bold to borrow other's work, you can refer to this video tutorial here. Prime31 studio has done a good job explain how to work with C# event.

36. DannyB

DannyB

Thanks Songtan.

So another quick question to be sure.
    Assuming I have a cube on screen and I want it to respond to swipe.

I attach the script to it (or otherwise attach the touches script to the game) and then, in the cube's script I can now intercept gestures by using some methods - such as OnSwipe( eventdata ) (as an example).

Am I correct?

37. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

yes, you will have a pre-made prefab in the scene with all the script attached in your scene. That will fire all the events. Then you can add in any other script on any other gameObject in the scene which will received the any specific event call and respond accordingly.

your own script will look like this if you want to respond to swipe:

Code (csharp):
    2. //this is just so we can received the event call
    3. void OnEnable(){
    4.      Gesture.onSwipeE += OnSwipe;
    5. }
    7. void OnDisable(){
    8.     Gesture.onSwipeE -= OnSwipe;
    9. }
    11. //the is the actual event call, this will be executed when a swipe is detected
    12. //sw contains all the information about the swipe such as position and speed
    13. void OnSwipe(Swipe sw){
    14.      Debug.Log("swipe detected, responding...");
    15.      //your custom code goes here
    16. }

38. DannyB

DannyB

Why a prefab? Why not a script that I can attach to an object of my choice? Like the camera, or my main game controller object?
    And thats a bit of a disturbing syntax if I get it right - Gesture.onSwipeE += OnSwipe;

If this is the way to subscribe to the event, then someone can easily delete the entire subscribers list by doing Gesture.onSwipeE = OnSwipe;

In fact, is there a way to view the full documentation?

39. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well I said prefab, but yes, it's actually scripts that you can attached to any gameObject you like.

I dont see how/why someone can easily delete the entire subscribers list. Each instance of scripts keeps track of their own event subscription. if you have 1 script attached to 2 similar gameObject, say one of them call Gesture.onSwipeE -= OnSwipe;, it's only that object that unsubscribe to the event, but the other one is still listening and will respond to that event.

40. DannyB

DannyB

Thanks Songtan, understood and.... off to the Asset Store... :)

(By the way, you do not appear in the asset store search when searching for "gestures", only "gesture" - maybe you should modify the description or something).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  41. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for the heads up.

Hope you get what you need. Feel free to pm me should you need help on anything. I'm more than happy to help. :)

42. DannyB

DannyB

Hey, this library is great!

The first thing I noticed within the first hour of playing with it is that the documentation PDF could use some work, at least in terms of formatting and some English mistakes. I am willing to help if you send me the non-pdf version. We can share a Google doc or something and make it more presentable.

Anyway, if you are interested I am up for it.

43. DannyB

DannyB

Hi

I am having difficulties intercepting the Touch (not tap) and Mouse events.

I have managed to capture other events in the very same way, but not this one.
    I have this in OnEnable()
    Code (csharp):
    1.     //Gesture.onDraggingE += OnDrag;
    2.     //Gesture.onDraggingStartE += OnDragStart;
    3.     //Gesture.onDraggingEndE += OnDragEnd;
    4.     Gesture.onMouse1DownE += OnTouchOrMouse;
    And I have a method called OnTouchOrMouse:
    Code (csharp):
    1.     void OnTouchOrMouse( Vector2 touch ) {
    2.         Debug.Log( "here" );
    3.     }
    The commented ones work, the last one does not. I get no error, and nothing fires.

What I am missing?

EDIT:
    I found out that the input prefab that I am dragging to the scene does not bring the Basic Detector with it.
    I am not sure I understand why - as there is a [RequireComponent (typeof (BasicDetector))] in the code.

When I add this BasicDetector manually, it works. Any idea how to make it work for everybody, out of the box?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  44. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Please check on your Gesture gameObject in your scene, is there a BasicDetector component attached to it? Different component on the Gesture prefab is responsible for fire different event. If you havent got one of them in the scene, you wont be having that particular set of event. Of couse, you can also disable certain component if you dont need them in your scene. If can save you a bit of performance (just a wee bit in most case).

45. DannyB

DannyB

Yes - see my Edit.
    Basic Detector was not there.
    What I do not understand is why I did not see any error when I used this event, and why it did not come as a default with the Gesture prefab.

Now I got it working perfectly but I expected to see errors when it did not contain the Basic Detector..

46. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Well the problem with [RequireComponent (typeof (BasicDetector))] is, it only works when you first attach the script to a gameObject. What happen is I made the prefab before I add in those RequireComponent line. When I update the library in version 1.1, I did some code rearrangement, and it end up with me forgot to add BasicDetector to the prefab which is not there in the first place. So long story short, it's my fault really, terribly sorry. I'll remedy this in next update.

But should you attached Gesture.cs to the any new gameObject manually, it will auto attached all the require components.

47. DannyB

DannyB

Excellent! So nailed another pesky little problem. But so far, excluding these little glitches everything is very nice to work with. Excellent library song, excellent library... :)

48. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

Thanks for your feedbacks, it's feedback like these that give me idea on how to improve/fix things. And thanks very much for your kind word indeed!

49. Mars91

Mars91

I update my project and now touch is no longer detected and swipe do not work like before.
    Can you send me the previous version?

50. Song_Tan

Song_Tan

What is the previous version you are using? v1.0 or v1.1?

If your onTouchE, onTouchDown, onTouchUp is not working, make sure you have a BasicDetector.cs attached to your gesture prefab in the scene and make sure it's enabled.

Is swipe not working at all or is it feels different from before?