Search Unity

Unity Something! May 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Arowx

Arowx

"Unity Something!" is a two week challenge, starting every month (on the first Friday) a theme will be announced (like Ludum Dare).

Week One is the Design and Creation Phase, where you can individually or as a group submit game designs, code, models, music and sound effects backdrops, prototypes that fit the theme.

Then we vote on the assets in each category.

Week Two is the Build It Phase, where as individuals or in teams we attempt to make the best game to fit the theme. So if your asset wins phase one you will probably have your pick of teams to work with for phase 2.

At the end of the week all created games are voted on and the best one wins.

The aim of this challenge is to have fun making things in Unity and to learn from the process of making a game!

And whatever your skill set and level of experience allow you to contribute and get feedback for your work.

Theme one is 'Arabian Horse'

What are you waiting for get creative!

Submissions Thread Now Open!

EDIT: Rule update, content ownership , you made it it's yours, now find a team to build with it!

This was about a horse...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. wccrawford

wccrawford

I see a couple glaring problems:

1) Overload. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off is far too much. Ludum Dare does 48 hours every 4 months.

2) Ownership. Ludum Dare only requires 2 things: The game is playable by others, and the source code is provided. You do not need to license the source code to others. It only has to be provided to prove you aren't cheating.

I understand what you're trying to do, but it will kill this before it even starts. You must allow people the right to their own work.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't like this:

4. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

I also think the time schedule is probably too tightl. At least it is without any kind of prize or promotion for the winner. Why spend all that time simply to give away your work?

Are you making a horse racing game? (jk)

I suggest:
    - more time
    - some form of prize (if only promotion of some kind)
    - clearer themes / goals. 'Arabian Horse' doesn't speak to me, anyways.

I do think it's an excellent initiative. Hope to see results! :)

5. joshimoo

joshimoo

I like the Idea as well, but I have to agree with the 2 mentioned points.
    1 - Time
    2 - Ownership

I assume your going into the direction of this http://lpc.opengameart.org/content/lpc-about
    Therefore the 2 Tier system?

Thanks for the Initiative

6. Arowx

Arowx

OK Changing it to more of a Jam style theme still first week design/create and second week build.

Creators build and develop 'assets' for the theme which are voted on at the end of week one.

Week Two teams build a game, and collaborate with the asset owners.

I'm trying to setup an Online 'slow' game jam so people who can't spare an entire weekend can contribute.

The time needs to be short to increase focus and get the core concept of a game working, but with enough time to produce some amazing assets.

7. Arowx

Arowx

Roll up roll up! Potential prize providers, come on you game, asset store, 3d modelling, animation, textureing, music makers, software providers!

Please PM me with any prize offers that can be awarded. Thank you!

8. henry96

henry96

2 weeks challenge in every month? It sounds too much for me. Too many challenges just pull you away from your real game project.

9. Arowx

Arowx

You don't have to spend two weeks on it you just have two weeks to have a go at it.

10. smitchell

smitchell

I don't understand what the motive of the comp is?

I can make a game in 2 weeks that will hardly prove my skills, but whats the point? There's no shiny prize or anything..

To me it looks like you just want a bunch of users to make some games for you to steal.. I'm not saying that's the case at all, but that's it looks.

Thanks,

Scott.

11. Arowx

Arowx

Hi Scott, the compo's motive was to bring together people online and get them to be creative together, have you heard of Ludum Dare or game Jams in general, it's about the fun of creating and building something, and not about shiny prizes as the game you make is your prize.

I have enough game ideas and projects on the go to keep me busy for years, I like taking part in game jams because they focus you on making and building just the game, not the next AAA whatnot just a fun game.

Scott have a look at Ludum Dare where the games are made in 48hrs, the last one created about 1400 games and some of them are great fun, but the people who had the most fun were the creators.

Check out the last line of my Signature, those are all games I've made most of them developed or extended from Ludum Dare games.

What I want to steal from you is boredom, apathy, writers block, AAA balderdash, perfectionism and unoriginal copycat ideas.

12. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Not fond of this ... It feels forced and poorly thought through.
    Gigi.